This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 93 of 229 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading? (continued)

Default Re: What are you reading? (continued)

Correction to an earlier reply of mine. I've picked up Cycle of the Werewolf to read today before I begin a literary analysis on Ken Kessey's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Dark, No Stars View Post
    Someone at my work lent me "50 Shades of Grey" because another someone at work loved it. I decided to put on my critic hat and give it a try. If you have not read this book.....DON'T. I got a little more than halfway through it and had to quit. I can't believe I even made it that far. This book has absolutely no literary merit, is poorly written, and actually made me a little bit dumber. Characterization is horrible: all Christian Grey ever does is "cock his head to one side" and act aloof. Anastasia Steele is a fool who spends the entirety of the novel blushing, turning crimson, and flushing. If I were a woman I would be outraged to belong to her gender. E.L. James even has the audacity to compare her indirectly to Elizabeth Bennett and Tess Durbeyfield. I'm going to pitch a reality show pilot to FOX in which Uncle Stevie takes E.L. James on in a boxing ring.
    Mayhaps you will enjoy this thread, a wee insight into peoples feelings about these "books".

http://www.stephenking.com/forums/showthread.php/25300-Fifty-Shades-of-Grey?highlight=FIFTY+SHADES+GREY

Haven't exactly been on fire with the books, but since my last post on Dec. 3, I actually made 2 trips to Mexico, so at least finished "Cutting for Stone" on the Kindle. I thought this was a grand story, and enjoyed it from start to finish. The characters were thoughtfully drawn and the prose flowed seamlessly along with the story. Time well spent reading this one. A friend loaned me "Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet" by Jaime Ford; her idea, not mine, but I liked it well enough. It was a quick read and the history was interesting as there was a Japanese internment camp just north of where I live. Am now half way through "Boy's Life" by Robert McCammon (also on the Kindle). First book of his I've read and I can't wait to finish it so I can read more by him. This one reminds me a little of "Summer of Night", just because of the coming of age aspect, and that great feeling for nostalgia, but at this point, I like this story line better, and my heart is with the main character Cory, and his Dad. Sure missed a lot not being a boy!!!

I finished reading Full Dark No Stars a couple of days ago, started reading Along Came a Spider by James Patterson.

Started Mystery by Peter Straub, but can't really get into it right now. Decided to put it aside for a while, and read The Men Who Stare at Goats by Jon Ronson first. I loved the movie, and I have now downloaded the book to my ipad and read a few pages. It is very promising so far!

I've got assignments I'm reading for, but as far as pleasure reading goes, I'm about halfway through the Tommyknockers, and have just cracked the door on Joe Hill's Horns. At some point, I'll need to finish The Talisman, but the story doesn't quite grab me, so I've set it aside for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuggs View Post
    At some point, I'll need to finish The Talisman, but the story doesn't quite grab me, so I've set it aside for now.
    I actually felt a little of the same the first time I read it. I just couldn't get involved in the plot and the story.
    Then I got the audio book, read it on paper again, and listened to the audio book once more, and I really love it now.
    It is different, and I think I expected something else the first time I read it. I do that sometimes, expect something and then can't get into the story/music/movie until I have digested it for a while.

a haunted,drafty balcony overseeing my kingdom...waiting for my King...

I just finished 'The Painted Darkness' by Brian James Freeman...a very good book with a surprise ending! A quick read and I recommend it to everyone!

I'm about two-thirds through A Book of Horrors, a short story compilation I picked up randomly from the library stacks that just happens to have a (very good) King short in it. There are a few other good ones, but it's been pretty uneven reading so far. I think horror short stories are tough, and not just any author can do them justice.

Well, I'm currently waiting for the J.F. Gonzalez and Bryan Smith books I ordered to arrive. In the meantime I'm giving Dan Simmons and his book Summer of Night a go. I've been putting this one off for a while because I've been burned off on the whole "coming of age horror tale." But I'm passing the time until my other books get here and I might actually get involved enough in this story to finish reading it. Too early to tell just yet.