Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
What are you reading? (continued) - Page 94

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 94 of 229 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144194 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading? (continued)

Default Re: What are you reading? (continued)

I've been reading a lot of downloaded free books on my Kindle. I receive emails daily with a list of some pretty good reads. A lot of these authors are not well known but I've found that they are very good writers. I ran across several that are set in the South and those I have enjoyed the most. One thing I've noticed in many books and even in television is that a reference to Stephen comes up a lot!!!

The Witches of East End. Has anyone read this?

I half like it, I am half annoyed by it.

Some of the story is so under-developed.

Are they goddesses or witches? Because they sure don't seem like witches! And they say, oh, I just use magic to block the fact that I never age from my neighbors. Okay... HOW?

Maybe I'm more annoyed than I thought.

The books I've ordered have come in so I think I'll set aside Summer of Night (I wasn't that far into it anyway) and pick up my new copy J.F. Gonzalez's Survivor (the Author's Preferred Edition). This book is probably going to make me need therapy.

I just finished The Burn Palace by Stephen Dobyns and enjoyed it. It's more of a thriller/police procedural with a little bit of supernatural thrown in.

John

Just finished "Wishes Fulfilled" by Wayne Dyer. He has been around for decades as a positive thinking guru, but I have never read any of his stuff before. More spiritual than I expected. He talks about positive thinking but in relation to manifesting a better reality for yourself through how much you can control through thoughts alone. And warns that using the words "I am" with any negative expression allows that negativity to enter into reality. Interesting book, I'm still trying to get my head around the concepts, and checking some of the Biblical references. As I have heard expressed before, even Satan quotes scripture.

Quote Originally Posted by tenngolfer View Post
    Just finished "Wishes Fulfilled" by Wayne Dyer. He has been around for decades as a positive thinking guru, but I have never read any of his stuff before. More spiritual than I expected. He talks about positive thinking but in relation to manifesting a better reality for yourself through how much you can control through thoughts alone. And warns that using the words "I am" with any negative expression allows that negativity to enter into reality. Interesting book, I'm still trying to get my head around the concepts, and checking some of the Biblical references. As I have heard expressed before, even Satan quotes scripture.

May I also suggest reading these other Wayne Dyer books: Excuses Begone and Change Your Thoughts. You might find they dig deeper into the Wishes Fulfilled book.

Quote Originally Posted by jussupoff View Post
    It is different, and I think I expected something else the first time I read it. I do that sometimes, expect something and then can't get into the story/music/movie until I have digested it for a while.
    I think that I have done the same thing. Its good, just not what I thought it was going to be. I'll definately pick it back up some day soon.

I think I will re-read the North and South trilogy by John Jakes. I haven't read them since the '80's. I was going to read Shogun, but for some reason I'm in a Civil War mood.

My mom loved the trilogy and she thought Shogun was great. I've always meant to read them too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim D. View Post
    I think I will re-read the North and South trilogy by John Jakes. I haven't read them since the '80's. I was going to read Shogun, but for some reason I'm in a Civil War mood.

Started 'Bethany's Sin' by Robert McCammon last night. Got the Sub Press limited awhile back, it's been sitting on my TBR pile, so thought I'd like to re-visit one of Rick's earlier works. It's like visiting with an old friend!