Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
What are you reading? (continued) - Page 97

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 97 of 229 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147197 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading? (continued)

Default Re: What are you reading? (continued)

Quote Originally Posted by blunthead View Post
    What makes you think I can read?
    Your ability to answer the question "What are you reading?" with the question "What makes you think I can read?"

Quote Originally Posted by Terry B View Post
    I just started Uncle Steve's "Guns".
    I kinda casually mentioned about wanting a Kindle recently (just so I could read the full "Guns"). My husband bought me a 'Kubo' - huh? He got it at Future Shop so I had to return it. When I asked why they don't carry Kindles the guy said it was because they are a Canadian store and directed me to Staples. Wow - the things you learn at my advanced age. On top of that I got a Samsung Galaxy S3 - boy, am I scratching my head over how to use that! Next pay day I might treat myself to a Kindle - they're about 120 bucks or so out my way. I tried downloading Kindle to my work computer and then discovered you need an Amazon account to get SK's book.

Can anyone here spell "Luddite"?

I am re-reading Just After Sunset. I am a huge fan of SK's short stories.

January Books Read:

1. Lost Stories -- Dashiell Hammett

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

I stumbled on this stash of old Ross MacDonald paperbacks that I have. I read some of these when I was around 20 years old and haven't touched them since. I've started the first Lew Archer novel called "The Moving Target." I'm 50 pages in and I had forgotten how good this guy was. I'm struggling a little because the pages are so yellow, the small copy is really hard to read (good old 70s paperbacks). They really made the font small with this book. It's only 185 pages so you think they could have used a little larger font and added a couple of pages to it. The list price on the cover is $0.75. Since this is a 64 year old detective story, you can't expect any surprises with the story but just reading Macdonald is fun. Here is a passage where he is describing a goon in a scarlet shirt that he is probably going to end up having an altercation with:

Then he turned his head, and I saw the side of his face. It wasn't Ralph Sampson's, and it wasn't the face the man in the scarlet shirt had started out with. It was a stone face hacked out by a primitive sculptor. It told a very common twentieth-century story: too many fights, too many animal guts, not enough brains.

Still working my way through Shadow Show: Stories In Celebration of Ray Bradbury. Every story is so good, I'm taking my time to savor each one.

Also for my audiobook, I'm listening to (naturally) Stephen King's Full Dark, No Stars. Great performances by the voice actors!

The Twelve by Justin Cronin. Really enjoying it, then all at once I get to a new chapter with new people and I have no idea what is going on! I suppose it will come around sooner or later, but it's kind of weird right now...

Catharsis by Jonathan Face.

Just recently read 50 Shades of Grey (disliked it intensely; based off Twilight fan fiction, I think it makes Twilight more decent by comparison). Also read Mark of Athena; EXCELLENT. Just re-read The Shining, impatiently awaiting Dr. Sleep! Right now I am delving back into Needful Things; after that I thought I might go through the Auel Clan of the Cave Bear series again. Funds are low, so a lot of re-reads happening!

I just finished "I Remember Nothing" by Nora Ephron. Next in the pile is "I Feel Bad About My Neck" by Nora Ephron. I meant to read that one first, but started with "Nothing" because I'd read she was working on it when she was sick. I'm still grieving her death, which I guess sounds silly. She's always reminded me of my favorite aunt, physically and temperamentally, and now I miss both of them.