This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rush! (You know the underrated Canadian one)

Default Re: Rush! (You know the underrated Canadian one)

Quote Originally Posted by ghost19 View Post
    I grew up listening to Rush, one of my first cassette tapes...yes I was around when cassettes first came out, don't laugh too hard, was Rush's album "Signals". I thought "Subdivisions" was one of the coolest songs I'd ever heard and I still do. Great band. Also remember getting "The Police: Zenyatta Mondatta" the same day I picked up Signals.....God, I'm old.....
    Signals is a fantastic album. Subdivisons, Chemistry, Losing It, Countdown and New World Man are my favs.

I had a friend in college who was a HUGE Rush fan. He would come over to my dorm and play Rush songs and explain them all to me in great detail. Whenever I hear Rush now, I think of him.

Red Barchetta was one of the first songs I learned to play on my Jay Tuser. as for Tom Sawyer, sad to say, it is the only Rush song I have gotten sicken off due to it's continual play and the fact that it is the only RUSH song many people recognize.

I like RUSH. So does my husband. My fave song by them is Limelight.

I'm a big Rush fan too! I have seen them in concert more than any other musical act, dating back to the 1980's. My first taste of Rush was "Permanent Waves", I couldn't get enough of that song "Spirit of the Radio", I have been hooked since then. I just saw them live in 2010 for their Time Machine Tour, and then a few months ago I went to the premier of the Time Machine concert movie. My most recent acquisition is a Blu-Ray of the 30th anniversary Special Edition of "Moving Pictures", which has a DTS-HD 5.1 surround mix of the album. I recently wrote this review of it for a friend:

I finally got my Rush Moving Pictures Blu-Ray. I expected it to be great and it did not disappoint in the least. I was amazed at how clean the sound was--this did not sound like a 30-year-old recording in any way. I think this also revealed what a great producer Terry Brown was. Records just aren't produced like this any more. If Moving Pictures were released nowadays for the MP3 generation, they would be clobbering us over the head with Geddy Lee's bass, and Neil Peart's drums would dominate every second. What we get instead is a nice spotless mix that lets you hear the music, delivering power instead of assaulting you with noise. Even at very high volumes there was no fatigue factor, this is just a pleasure to sit back and listen to (being that one can't really dance to Rush).

That's not to say it's in any way wimpy or thin-sounding. The opening synth from "Tom Sawyer" just grabs you from the outset, and when the guitars kick in you really feel it--often in your chest. Pearts drums are powerful but never oppressive or overly dominant. A few seconds in, all you can do is just nod your head happily and say "Yeah, this is how it's REALLY supposed to sound." But it's interesting to note that for a virtuoso band like Rush, the 1981 production (and 2011 DTS HD 5.1 mix) has little show-offishness (aside from the opening chimes of "YYZ" which are quickly cycled around your head, an admittedly cool effect), it just faithfully reproduces the sound and lets the music speak for itself. And that's really the best you could ask for.

Aside from getting a copy of the original master tapes, this is the best we're ever going to hear "Moving Pictures". My only regret is that it will probably spoil me from listening to the CD (which I haven't tried yet). (Of course, another regret is that if they keep coming out with great 5.1 HD DTS mixes like this, I'm likely to feel it in my wallet.)

Bravado is my favorite song by Rush. I absolutely love it, even though it makes me tear up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    I like Rush and now have their lyrics spinning in my head. And Ghost, I remember cassettes too. Does anyone remember 8 tracks?( my first radio that my mom gave me as a teenager had an 8 track. she got a new one and stuck me with that!)
    Big Rush fan here.

I first heard Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast on 8 track.

I still here the "CLICK CLICK" in my sleep sometimes.

Ohh Holy Hell...I was spinnin' Rush back in my salad days in radio....ON VINYL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...so guess that makes me a stupid old gangsta rappa....

Here I am! My love for Rush goes back to 1980, just before Moving Pictures came out. My Hubby and room mate got me into them by sitting me down and playing Hemispheres for me. I fell in love! My favorite song is La Villa Strangiato, which I can half-assed play on guitar. I can play several Rush tunes and my Hubby says that if I can play Lerxst's stuff I can play anything

I kind of lost touch with them from 1985 to...well... 2010. Life distracted me. I saw the Time Machine Tour in August of 2010 and fell right back in love. There were personal things happening, too, which they and their music helped me through... I hear that sort of thing a lot from Rush fans: they discovered and/or leaned on the music during a time of crisis or change. That's pretty special.

I work as a moderator on Neil Peart's website. I'm also a member of The Rush Forum. So, I'm up for any palaver about my Boys! Feel free to PM me or post on my page. And welcome to the SKMB, Stan

Oh, new update on Neil's website for any interested: http://www.neilpeart.net/news/index.html
    The treasure of a life is a measure of love and respect/The way you live, the gifts that you give/In the fullness of time/It's the only return that you expect

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    Ohh Holy Hell...I was spinnin' Rush back in my salad days in radio....ON VINYL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...so guess that makes me a stupid old gangsta rappa....
    My introduction to Rush was on vinyl too, GNTLGNT. Way back in those ancient days of the late 70's. Still follow them as their music can speak volumes.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast