This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Room 237: The Movie

Default Re: Room 237: The Movie

Among the topics of discussion are the many liberties, large and small, that Kubrick took with the original novel. Mr. King, who declined to comment for this article, has never concealed his dislike for the film and the way the director changed and discarded scenes, themes and details. In the book Jackís Volkswagen is red; in the film itís yellow. No big thing, until one discovers that Kingís red VW actually did make it into the film, crushed underneath an overturned semi.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/29/mo...ning.html?_r=1

Iím envious Ms. Mod! I often wish I could tell The New York Times to go f^#% themselves. And how petty of them to gleam on the color of the VW thing when so much as been penned about Kubrick ignoring important elements of King's novel, like the disintegration of the family and the downplaying of the supernatural element. I guess thatís what happens when one violates the eleventh commandment... Thou shalt not dismiss The NY Times.

I'm really wanting to see this movie now. I checked out a lot of Robert Ager's site and videos over the weekend, and while I think a lot of it is hogwash and conjecture, it's still very interesting analysis.

The movie will play on IFC (Independent Film Channel) at the end of March:

Fans of Stanley Kubrickís The Shining wonít want to miss the conspiracy thriller doc Room 237, releasing on March 29. ďAfter the box office failure of Barry Lyndon, Stanley Kubrick decided to embark on a project that might have more commercial appeal. The Shining, Stephen Kingís biggest critical and commercial success yet, seemed like a perfect vehicle. After an arduous production, Kubrickís film received a wide release in the summer of 1980; the reviews were mixed, but the box office, after a slow start, eventually picked up. End of story? Hardly. In the 30 years since the filmís release, a considerable cult of Shining devotees has emerged, fans who claim to have decoded the filmís secret messages addressing everything from the genocide of Native Americans to a range of government conspiracies. Rodney Ascherís wry and provocative Room 237 fuses fact and fiction through interviews with cultists and scholars, creating a kaleidoscopic deconstruction of Kubrickís still-controversial classic.Ē

Can't wait!

Mod,

Did you ever clarify what Steve's thoughts are/were on this?

It seems that I had read he had some level of displeasure with Kubrick's interpretation, etc. Were that so, it also makes sense that this documentary, extolling the virtues of that work, might be a bit of acid on the tongue.

I will watch it though. I admit that I did like that movie as a kid and saw it before I read the book. I also enjoyed the more recent miniseries. I guess a good premise is a good premise.

Completely slipped my mind so, no, I don't know if he's seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Completely slipped my mind so, no, I don't know if he's seen it.
    Well, ya know... If ya get bored sometime...

I'd be a little surprised if he had watched it. Although, he may be understandably curious.

I submitted a review to FEARNet this weekend, but it hasn't run yet. The "interpretations" in this movie are pretty out there.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast