Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Room 237: The Movie - Page 3

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Room 237: The Movie

Default Re: Room 237: The Movie

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I submitted a review to FEARNet this weekend, but it hasn't run yet. The "interpretations" in this movie are pretty out there.

I haven't seen it yet, so I can't comment on that. My angle here was that I have always heard SK did not like Kubrick's adaptation and as such I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't thrilled about this documentary glorifying it. It kind of gets his book further lost in the shuffle of what that movie was. Although, I suppose it might also kick interest back up in the story right when the sequel is due soon.

He's backtracked a little over the years and has a little more appreciation for Kubrick's vision for the film but the reason he still doesn't like it is because he felt it was too "cold" and that he (Steve) didn't have much empathy for the characters because of it. Would have to hunt for the interview in which he's quoted but it wasn't all that long ago--within the last year or so, I think. If anyone else has that source, feel free to jump in.

Quote Originally Posted by hossenpepper View Post
    I haven't seen it yet, so I can't comment on that. My angle here was that I have always heard SK did not like Kubrick's adaptation and as such I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't thrilled about this documentary glorifying it. It kind of gets his book further lost in the shuffle of what that movie was. Although, I suppose it might also kick interest back up in the story right when the sequel is due soon.
    ROOM 237 doesn't glorify The Shining. The five interviewees come up with some wacky interpretations of the film. One guy thinks it's Kubrick's confession that he helped fake the Apollo 11 footage from the moon. Another thinks that it's about the holocaust and another that it's about the genocide of the American Indian. Their evidence is, um, sketchy.
    Last edited by Bev Vincent; March 6th, 2013 at 02:15 PM.

Not sure if this is what you were talking about MM, but this is from last year and talks about his thoughts on the movie and about Dr. sleep. also talks about the first time Kubrick contacted him. Good stuff! I tried to bookmark it at the correct time, but if it didn't come through, that part starts at the 33:07 mark.

I think that was it--thanks for posting that! I did have to advance it but at least it didn't have to buffer and load.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    He's backtracked a little over the years and has a little more appreciation for Kubrick's vision for the film but the reason he still doesn't like it is because he felt it was too "cold" and that he (Steve) didn't have much empathy for the characters because of it. Would have to hunt for the interview in which he's quoted but it wasn't all that long ago--within the last year or so, I think. If anyone else has that source, feel free to jump in.
    How about this one...?

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/cu...phen-king-1978

or...

http://touch.denofgeek.us/denofgeeku...7b5670a168d6/1

Not the ones I was thinking of as it most definitely was a recent one but those have some great comments, Frank. I think there's a print one in addition to the video Hoss put up but that's the basic content I was remembering.

Y'know, I don't have a copy of The Shining handy to flip through, and I'm sitting here racking my brain trying to remember references, innuendos, and the like in both the book and movie to the "genocide of Native Americans". Is it me, or is this a real stretch even for conspiracy theorists? What the hell??!?

At the 51:20 mark is a great quote:

"There's something about any creative process that's excretive."

Awesome...

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Sawyer View Post
    Y'know, I don't have a copy of The Shining handy to flip through, and I'm sitting here racking my brain trying to remember references, innuendos, and the like in both the book and movie to the "genocide of Native Americans". Is it me, or is this a real stretch even for conspiracy theorists? What the hell??!?
    In the film, the Overlook is built on an Indian burial ground. Plus there are cans of baking powder in the larder with an Indian head on the label. Ta da!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast