This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Room 237: The Movie

Default Re: Room 237: The Movie

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    In the film, the Overlook is built on an Indian burial ground. Plus there are cans of baking powder in the larder with an Indian head on the label. Ta da!
    Well, I declare Mister Vincent, that sure enough is evidence of a conspiratorial plot afoot, don't you agree sir?

Yeah, "a stretch" is putting it kindly.

Don't forget the native American wall-hangings as well.
    The Shining was on TV last night and I ended up watching it for a while...can't take my eyes away from it for long.

I like Kubrick's movie with the exception of Ms. Duvall. It scared me sideways growing up and I've watched it many times. I've read the book once and that was all it took for me to know its a much better experience than the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    In the film, the Overlook is built on an Indian burial ground. Plus there are cans of baking powder in the larder with an Indian head on the label. Ta da!
    Ah. Thank you, sir.

-Well, the burial ground would be sufficient material for ghosts to appear, but none of the Overlook's bar denizens are Native American, if I'm remembering correctly. It's also arguably a reason for the Overlook's ultimate demise, in that it's bad juju to build a structure of any kind on sacred burial ground. However, the references to Indian heads on commercial product labels and Native American artifacts in the hotel are indicative more of its location than anything else.

You're right; the evidence is sketchy at best for deeper interpretations of native genocide themes in the film.

My review: Room 237: Sometimes a cigar is a Moon rocket

Thank you, Bev.

Jeeze. Louise.

Such an interesting discussion!

Like most here, I think that the book is greater than the film. However, I'm intrigued by this documentary. I enjoy looking for hidden meanings in films/books. This seems as though it could be a step too far, but I'm sure it will still be enjoyable.

Great review by Bev too.
    Also, thanks for posting the video where King was talking about the film. Very interesting!

This movie is one of my very favorites, and I love reading all the "theories" about it. Ahhh!

Room 237 director Rodney Ascher has given a new interview with The Wrap. http://www.thewrap.com/movies/articl...overlook-81786

Stanley Kubrick’s longtime assistant, Leon Vitali, says various theories about hidden meanings in “The Shining,” proposed in the documentary “Room 237,” are just “balderdash” in The NY Times.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast