This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The "N" word

Default Re: The "N" word

good fiction is believe-able, almost always. The world is not a politically correct place, so why should a book?

I swear people like the topic creator are so sensitive when it comes to the "N" word. Really? Get over it. Its bad enough I have to hear people slam HP Lovecraft because of the way he described black people or whatever.

get over it and just enjoy the stories that theses authors made to entertain you.

...well, far be it from me to try to throw anything off topic(yeah, right!)...but let us shelve the the use of the "N" word(nitrogen)...and consider the liberal use of the term "Green Card Man" throughout 11/22/63...on behalf of other colors of the rainbow and hues in the spectrum, I find myself mightily and most egregiously in a huff...why "green"????... is this some kind of tree hugging/conservationist subliminal message here?...in the future, Mr. King should refrain from applying ANY color to his cards, and simply refer to them as "cheap lined pieces of cardboard from the dollah stoah down street, ayuh!"....

If I read the word in one more SK book,I'm gonna throw up

IMO, it is simply an easy way to get you to hate a character the way Stephen wants you to. Also, most of his books are set in periods when it was more common place - even if its deemed inapropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by dsurrett View Post
    I'd be interested to see which books in particular you're talking about, and the time frame in the books. .
    The "N Word" is thrown around by Sai King pretty liberally in The Drawing of Three, which came out in the mid 80s. I've also seen the word used in The Stand as well. I dont use the world myself, but I dont mind seeing it in King's work. It adds to the depth of a character.

Doesnt mean Sai King is a racist. So a King character uses the N word. That doesnt make King anymore or less a "racist" than it makes him a clown who hangs out in sewers...

HP Lovecraft uses the "n-word" in Rats in the Walls.

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Hmm, over four pages, shouldn't we be up to, "Nutbag', yet?...oh come on, at least "Nitwit"

Quote Originally Posted by unclelouie View Post
    HP Lovecraft uses the "n-word" in Rats in the Walls.
    The difference between Lovecraft and King is that H.P. actually was extremely racist. While he was married, he'd go on and on about the Jews... and his wife had to remind him that he was married to one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    The difference between Lovecraft and King is that H.P. actually was extremely racist. While he was married, he'd go on and on about the Jews... and his wife had to remind him that he was married to one.
    I was not aware of that. I dont know much about HP's personal life or views. I guess the 1920s werent the most open minded.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast