This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 10 of 105 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Interest for skmb convention? (2013)

Australia.... plenty of places to get lost here.

Default Re: Interest for skmb convention? (2013)

Its times like these I wish I travelled more.... or lived in a place close enough by I am in Australia so the trip would be huge (but I am sure very worth it!)

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...and here's the camp song leader...
    Y'all know that's gonna be little ole me in a boiler~suit and scary mask, dontcha? Those of you thinking I don't need a mask can just hush now!

Quote Originally Posted by Garriga View Post
    What not to bring up

Politics
    evolution
    Catholics
    Ex boyfriends
    One night stands
    Divorce
    Dungeons and Dragons
    Skin Infections
    Katrina
    Ole Miss
    Tennessee

What to bring up

Irish Men
    Art
    Wine country
    Expensive Whiskey
    Shopping
    Baseball
    Garriga's Awesomeness
    Add to the above lists as follows...

What not to bring up

A Kardashian
    A Lohan
    A Hilton
    Perceived factual inaccuracies in any Stephen King-authored book, especially 11/22/63.
    Plans for Ms. Mod's reti...for her to stop, even temporarily, doing for a living what she is doing.

What to bring up

Fishing
    Grilling
    Meat, especially "red"
    Fried burritos
    Bikinis
    Yasmine Bleeth
    Diane Lane
    Gambling
    A campaign to obstruct Ms. Mod's ret...oh, you know.

What to bring up

Fishing
    Grilling
    Meat, especially "red"
    Fried burritos
    Bikinis
    Yasmine Bleeth
    Diane Lane
    Gambling
    A campaign to obstruct Ms. Mod's ret...oh, you know.
    [/QUOTE]

Don't forget parsnips

Don't forget parsnips[/QUOTE]

Bless you....

Well... I won't be going to Maine, for financial reasons, but... I live in an RV park, and the spots right next to us are open, if anyone is closer to Hardin, Montana than other places. It's $25 a night, though. But we have a grill and lots of venison steaks...

I just took a quick look at the location & month poll, and it's looking like Bangor in July or August is going to win outas our locale for the Great SKMB Hobnob.

I also slipped over to weather.com and learned that August in Bangor tends to be a tad cooler than July....and about an inch less wet than either July or August, which bodes well for a gathering in a town park or state campground.

Sooooooooo.....based upon those facts and figures, I'll make a suggestion with some qualifying arguments:
    Labor Day weekend is August 31 and September 1, with Labor Day itself on September 2. This is a) a long holiday weekend in the U.S. that is typically a family's last hurrah to go somewhere (and could be a reason why some folks here willl be unable to attend an SKMB bash), and b) a weekend when I'm guessing none of us want to vie with more folks for access to campground showers and fire pits, or tables in restaurants. Camping and beach time over Labor Day weekend are extremely popular, so I suggest we avoid meeting up then, as motels, places of interest, and parking lots are going to be overrun with the masses. (Mr. King has written plenty of references to Maine being a popular destination for summertime and holiday vactioners, most notably in Thinner and The Stand.)

That leaves us with the weekends of August 3-4, 10-11, 17-18, and 24-25.

I say we meet closer to the end of August, and choose between the 17-18 and 24-25.

(Was all of that clear as mud? I hope so. I'm just trying to get a weekend established so that people can have the option of making reservations for anything well in advance.)

Quote Originally Posted by tower-obsession View Post
    Well... I won't be going to Maine, for financial reasons, but... I live in an RV park, and the spots right next to us are open, if anyone is closer to Hardin, Montana than other places. It's $25 a night, though. But we have a grill and lots of venison steaks...

Hi, Tawn!

I'm not too terribly far from you. Washington state.

Love the idea of August in Maine! Earlier would maybe be better as there seems to be a lot of teachers here on the board? Can't wait!!!

Are we in agreement that the Great SKMB Hobnob (is there another name for it?) is going to occur in Bangor?

I can put up a second (well, technically third) poll to determine which weekend in August is The One, if you guys think another more specific vote is the fairest way to go. (I just re-read my post; aside from typos, the glaring mistake was that August is less wet than either July or September. *sigh* I sometimes get into too much of a rush when I'm typing. But it was my argument for having the shindig in August instead of July or after Labor Day weekend.)

Page 10 of 105 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast