This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 33 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread: Interest for skmb convention? (2013)

Default Re: Interest for skmb convention? (2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    Just saw in the group it's JULY 19th. Makes much more sense.

And tickets are $800 per person. Yikes.
    Don't be put off by that--it's way too far out for there to be better air fares yet. There are also other options than coming directly into Bangor. Portland is a 2-1/2 hour drive but the fares can be much better. Boston is a 3-1/2 - 4 hour drive but if you have the time, might be worth it for a lower fare as you can see more of the state to drive from there or spend a couple days in Boston. Manchester, NH is about the same driving time as Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by tenngolfer View Post
    Blunt, thanks for the info. I noticed the dates on the link differ from the dates in this post. Is it June or July?

From the link:
    The following is info we have on hotels/motels, so far...

Group rates are a) for the weekend of July 25-28, 2013, and b) NOT guaranteed until rooms are booked.
    Oops, sorry for the confusion and thankee for the headsup. The correct dates are indeed July 19-21, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Don't be put off by that--it's way too far out for there to be better air fares yet. There are also other options than coming directly into Bangor. Portland is a 2-1/2 hour drive but the fares can be much better. Boston is a 3-1/2 - 4 hour drive but if you have the time, might be worth it for a lower fare as you can see more of the state to drive from there or spend a couple days in Boston. Manchester, NH is about the same driving time as Boston.
    This is so funny, Ms. Mod, because I was going to ask you today if you had any advice! Thank you so much.

I really want to visit all 50 states and I've always wanted to go to Boston so this could be the perfect opportunity and I never would have thought of it on my own. This is why we all love you so much!!!

I was nervous about telling my husband about this because I thought he'd think I was nuts but I told him about it last night and his response was "Wow, that sounds really fun!" Such a good sign!

Hope to see you next July!

I really want to visit all 50 states and I've always wanted to go to Boston so this could be the perfect opportunity and I never would have thought of it on my own. This is why we all love you so much!!!

I was nervous about telling my husband about this because I thought he'd think I was nuts but I told him about it last night and his response was "Wow, that sounds really fun!" Such a good sign!
    Do it! Boston is a great place, I love it there. Don't forget NYC isn't far away if you haven't been there before and have a few days to play with. Glad your hubby thinks it sounds like fun, you will have an even better time if he's 100% on board. Have fun, you're all going to love being in Maine after reading about it for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ally~ View Post
    Do it! Boston is a great place, I love it there. Don't forget NYC isn't far away if you haven't been there before and have a few days to play with. Glad your hubby thinks it sounds like fun, you will have an even better time if he's 100% on board. Have fun, you're all going to love being in Maine after reading about it for so long.
    My aunt and uncle live in NY so I've been there quite a bit, fortunately. My husband and I have talked about how we'd like to camp in Maine before so this is all working out perfectly! Now he just has to get a job so we can afford it!

How hot is it in Maine in July? And are there bugs?

I'm guessing I came into this way to late to suggest a fall get together..... Bad me.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

And are there bugs?

I'm not laughing at you...really! Oh, my, where do I begin? The black fly is sometimes referred to as our other state bird. Seriously, though, by that time black fly season is usually over but we do have mosquitoes, deer flies, horse flies, caterpillars, crickets, grasshoppers, lady bugs, dragon flies, ticks (mostly a problem only if you're in the woods), bees, wasps, spiders, ants, etc. etc. so mostly just your garden variety bugs. Nothing poisonous that I know of, although you can get a nasty reaction from some of the bites, i.e. swelling and itching. It will probably be too late for lightning bugs as they're primarily around in June.

Snakes are primarily the garter snake variety. There are loons (I'm referring to the avian variety, although probably a fair share of human ones as well ) on Pushaw Lake and there was a nesting pair of eagles although I'm not sure if they were there this summer as I didn't get to do any kayaking. Lots of wild turkeys in the area and probably wouldn't be completely uncharacteristic to spot a deer as well.

July is usually our hottest month and temps can get into the 90s and occasionally hit 100 along with high humidity but 80s that time of year would be more the norm. Nights cools down but are still warm enough that you wouldn't need heavy sleeping bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post

I'm not laughing at you...really! Oh, my, where do I begin? The black fly is sometimes referred to as our other state bird. Seriously, though, by that time black fly season is usually over but we do have mosquitoes, deer flies, horse flies, caterpillars, crickets, grasshoppers, lady bugs, dragon flies, ticks (mostly a problem only if you're in the woods), bees, wasps, spiders, ants, etc. etc. so mostly just your garden variety bugs. Nothing poisonous that I know of, although you can get a nasty reaction from some of the bites, i.e. swelling and itching. It will probably be too late for lightning bugs as they're primarily around in June.

Snakes are primarily the garter snake variety. There are loons (I'm referring to the avian variety, although probably a fair share of human ones as well ) on Pushaw Lake and there was a nesting pair of eagles although I'm not sure if they were there this summer as I didn't get to do any kayaking. Lots of wild turkeys in the area and probably wouldn't be completely uncharacteristic to spot a deer as well.

July is usually our hottest month and temps can get into the 90s and occasionally hit 100 along with high humidity but 80s that time of year would be more the norm. Nights cools down but are still warm enough that you wouldn't need heavy sleeping bags.
    Uhhhhh..... I may have to some serious thinking about this. I am very bad with heat and bug bites make me look like a swamp monster they swell so badly. And bugs seem to specifically hunt me out. Hmmm.

It would be awesome if you could make it, Shasta!

Don't let the talk of bugs and heat get you down. My wife is bad with heat and the mosquitos seem to seek her out too. But she has done well on trips to Maine, Vermont, and camping in 90-degree weather. Just get some mosquito repellent with DEET in it, that worked well for her. And I'm guessing the heat won't be so bad, don't you know the further North you go, the cooler it is? I'm guessing the 80's will be the highest it gets and it can get nice and cool at night.

Quote Originally Posted by fushingfeef View Post
    It would be awesome if you could make it, Shasta!

Thank you. I am definitely looking into it. Money is the biggest factor as my husband is currently unemployed so we shall see!

Page 33 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast