This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pet Sematary ~ How It Affected You

Default Re: Pet Sematary ~ How It Affected You

It makes me afraid to leave my feet on the floor in front of my bed...especially when I'm there alone. Other than that, I just feel extremely satisfied to have the opportunity to read such an awesome book.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinco12 View Post
    It makes me afraid to leave my feet on the floor in front of my bed...especially when I'm there alone.
    Hehe...that's smart, 'cause you just never know what might be lurking...ready to reach right out and grab you...

I read Pet Semetary the first time around when I was a teenager so it was a fairly easy read, the only part that really bothered me was the opening scenes with Victor Pascow. I recently did a re-read and barely made it through. I think what has change for me is that this time I am a parent of two little boys and the raw emotion just kind of hit home. Not sure I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Wilson View Post
    I think its his most disturbing book, by a long shot.
    I agree with Doc 100%...this novel, along with Salem's Lot, were the books that gave me chills when I read them, but Pet Sematary still creeps me out even after repeated readings.

Where the Summer storms never hit hard enough.

It is a book that I both read and enjoyed reading.

It really is interesting. I read it and enjoyed it, as I've already said, and it was tough. But thinking back on it, it is one of the few books (and the movie too, but not as much) that just gives me a creepy kinda feeling. It weird, I know. Anyone else get a creepy, dark sort of feeling when just thinking about it?

I always feel a little inadequate as a parent when I read that so many of us who are parents cannot and will not ever read the book again. I just don't have that reaction. It packs a strong emotional wallop, but I have never felt that I could never read it again. Maybe it is because this book was my first SK book, so therefore will always have a huge place in my heart.

I began very much looking forward to reading Pet Semetary upon reading the first of numerous posts warning, begging me not to, or at least not to read it again. Granted, I've never had kids; otherwise, my sensibilities may've been attuned to the warnings. I liked the book, but I assure you I hear the voices of them that fear it.

Meanwhile, I really appreciate a recent a post quoting sK saying certain events in the story were based on real life events, because, not only does it remind me of the true horrors many parents, and children, face in a lifetime, it's a lesson in how stories can be written, where they sometimes come from.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in a bag View Post
    I always feel a little inadequate as a parent when I read that so many of us who are parents cannot and will not ever read the book again. I just don't have that reaction. It packs a strong emotional wallop, but I have never felt that I could never read it again. Maybe it is because this book was my first SK book, so therefore will always have a huge place in my heart.
    I would, and probably will read it again. So you are not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by blunthead View Post
    I began very much looking forward to reading Pet Semetary upon reading the first of numerous posts warning, begging me not to, or at least not to read it again. Granted, I've never had kids; otherwise, my sensibilities may've been attuned to the warnings. I liked the book, but I assure you I hear the voices of them that fear it.

Meanwhile, I really appreciate a recent a post quoting sK saying certain events in the story were based on real life events, because, not only does it remind me of the true horrors many parents, and children, face in a lifetime, it's a lesson in how stories can be written, where they sometimes come from.
    Sometimes, stories that come from real life (and I think that they all do, at least in a way) are the best.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast