This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts

Default Re: Random Thoughts

Thank you Grrl. I understand. I really do.

You made me cry with your wonderful post.

I am not ready. I just hope the little girl gets a home. Just not me, now.

Much love to you. I wish I had the words to say more.

Hey, NN, I'm not disagreeing with you but felt I ought to write something!

I totally understand your reluctance to get an older dog while you're still grieving for your beloved pet that passed away. Adopting a pet is a very personal decision but, in general, this dog's age shouldn't deter most people from taking it home. If everyone wanted to put off the heartbreak of their pets' deaths by only adopting puppies, then who would give the older ones a good home? With that mentality, would you not develop a close friendship with an older person because, theoretically, they are closer to death? Adopting an older dog has a lot of benefits. For one thing, I doubt it will be chewing up your shoes or having accidents on the carpet. Also, you will have a good feeling knowing you are rescuing and giving a hard-to-place animal a loving, comfortable home in its twilight years. That's it! I'm stepping down from my soapbox now!

Thank you Autumn. Point taken, indeed.

Oh my. I think I am being selfish, and setting myself up for heartbreak. I have not answered the email back, as of yet. She is available.
    And oh god, I miss my dogs. I still have one. Caseyanne. , Cygnus's little sister.

Have not seen her in 2 years. Husband kept her. I cant even see her. I breaks my heart. and she is getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Ladies, ladies, ladies.....and you talk about the boys getting a little off color sometimes.
    Arista, I believe the answer is, NO.
    My husband is Scottish and no they are not SUPPOSED to wear gotch. However if you don't own the kilt (say - just renting it for a wedding for example) common sense and good taste should prevail - sorry to sound like Miss Manners here. Anyway I am getting off topic. When my two sons were in Scotland and rented kilts (or as they say over there 'hired a kilt') they wore boxer shorts.

Caseyanne is a goofball. Not her, but looks just like.

My dear old Mom who was from Glasgow used to say "Let the wind gang free where the air may be" but she could have been talking about

farting
    not kilts Apparently wearing a kilt without any jockey shorts is very 'liberating'
    Last edited by Neesy; July 14th, 2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: OK - no random thought attached but if I was a guy I would love to wear a kilt!

I have thought about this issue. I have two cats right now. They are probably the last pets I will have in my life. The thought is shocking to me. because, if I'm lucky and they live 18 years let's say, I will be in my 70s. I realize that we can die at any given moment, but I'm just looking at this as life playing out the ideal course.

So, in my 70s, the chances that I may die before the animal go up exponentially. So then, I leave a pet behind for someone to take in. A pet that may live a long time, have health issues that would cost someone above and beyond -- yet, I cannot see myself without a cat to be with me to the end of my days. So, if I live long enough, and my two cats I have now are gone, I will adopt an older animal.

And we will love each other with all our hearts with all the time we have left.
    "You've been here before, but things are about to change. I know it. I feel it. There's a storm on the way." -- Stephen King

Dana Jean - my older cat is now 13 years old. The younger one is 7 years old. They are both Siamese. I was actually considering having the older guy (CJ) put to sleep and just keep Bailey but Bailey just follows CJ around and basically treats him like he is his Dad. They are both fixed and never go outside. The older cat has a tendency to barf (usually on the carpet)! but apart from that seems to be in normal health age wise. You sort of seem to be hinting around (although I could be reading between the lines) that maybe having them euthanized would be the better option. Sorry - perhaps I am mistaken. I say just go with your heart and do what is right for you. I had my old Boston terrier put to sleep and was there when they put the needle in. I cried my eyes out

Euthanized? I don't know how you got that out of what I said. Yikes! If I worded that poorly, sorry.

I do that as a last resort. Hell, my cat who I adored for 18 (perhaps19) years, I was injecting him with water to keep his fluids up. (which looking back at that now was my selfish way of keeping him around, when I should've let him go, but the vet encouraged me to do it. And oh how I loved that cat!)

I said, when I get old, I will adopt old pets. That way I don't leave a burden to someone in my family who might not want a pet for very long as the old cat's time would be limited too. I have people in my life who would take my pets until they died naturally or they were encouraged by a veterinarian to euthanize.

Not everyone loves my kids like I do. Not everyone loves my pets like I do. So, I'm just being courteous to those I leave behind who might not want a long term commitment to MY pets. So, I would adopt older -- the old pet gets a home with someone who will adore them -- me -- and if I died before them, they would be taken in by my family until they lived out their life.
    Last edited by Dana Jean; July 14th, 2013 at 04:02 PM.
    "You've been here before, but things are about to change. I know it. I feel it. There's a storm on the way." -- Stephen King

Ooops - big apology from me goes out to you. I was way out in left field. Perhaps I should have read your post more thoroughly before replying. I have been off of the board (more or less) since Wednesday afternoon since I was on vacation. I'm glad to hear you love your pets so much!

Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast