Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Fifty Shades of Grey? - Page 11

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Fifty Shades of Grey?

Default Re: Fifty Shades of Grey?

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    I've read that but I am wondering what fan forum they came from. We definitely don't have those kinds of discussions in this fan forum. Or maybe we do and I'm just not invited.....
    I looked through all the groups and didn't find anything. So I don't have the secret password either. UNLESS … It might be in code. It's in code, isn't it?

Come on, guys. Shasta and I are cool; you can tell us. WE WON'T TELL A SOUL. Will we, Shasta?

Pinky swear.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ally~ View Post
    I dunno though, I've also encountered girls with

tampons and condoms stuck up there which have needed to be removed in hospital.
    There but for the grace of God, I suppose.

I'll wait for the graphic novel to come out

Shasta's right. This thread is 50 shades of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    I know ... but I think it's a fluke. I see those self-published books on Amazon all the time, and most of them just seem to be languishing in a sad little space. If I had to come up with a plot, mine wouldn't do any better. (Sad to know the limits of your own talent, but that is mine: things that sound decent in my head look dumb as a box of hammers on paper, and I can never come up with a satisfactory conclusion.)

Now, while in this case I wouldn't have to come up with a plot and can pretty much guarantee at least a fun read ... I think her evil plan worked because she already had a fanfic following, piggybacking off Twilight—and she set the ebook price at $10, a pretty crazy amount to charge for a self-published ebook, which worked partially because it just helped her get more money and partially because not setting your price too low is a psychological trick to make your goods seem worthwhile.

On the other hand ... it's not like I want to be independently wealthy. I just want to finish the basement and buy some furniture.
    For me, I think self-published books can go either way. There are some that are poorly written, while with others, it's evident that the writer actually cares about the quality of their work, and would more than likely sever a limb than produce such mindless drivel (okay, maybe that's a little harsh, but perhaps it needs to be..)

Now, that would be funny!

I finished it.

That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by randallFlaggfan1 View Post
    For me, I think self-published books can go either way. There are some that are poorly written, while with others, it's evident that the writer actually cares about the quality of their work, and would more than likely sever a limb than produce such mindless drivel (okay, maybe that's a little harsh, but perhaps it needs to be..)
    Oh, sure, a writer could be awesome and be self-published. Give me a month and I could produce 50 Shades of Gray: Now With 78% Less Suck! all by my lonesome. And it would be readable AND hot. But most self-published works, all I have to do is read the description to know I won't like it. Also, I think in this case "mindless drivel" is just about right.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ally~ View Post
    I finished it.

That is all.
    Oh no you don't! We need feedback, missy.

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    Oh no you don't! We need feedback, missy.
    Well, I decided to stick it out until I reached the first sex scene to see what all the ooh~la~la fuss was about...and all I ended up with was vanilla sex! Which of course meant I decided to read until the ben and jerry's mix em up sex scenes...which just weren't fruity enough. Big Sigh. The whole book was like peeking at a teenager's diary, which is usually only interesting to the one living/writing it.

The lead lady is a whiny, petulant, sulky, green~eyed monster kid who talks to her inner goddess and subconscious more than the guy she is constantly pining over. We are expected to believe she's a virgin that doesn't even pleasure herself, yet she immediately starts banging this guy in a "get yer freak on" way. Ooh and she has no gag reflex despite no previous BJ/sex experience. Bonus, or bollocks, whatevuh! The male lead is a controlling narcissistic stalker, which is meant to be endearing because he is rich, yet if he was yer average joe he would be classed as insane. The book would be half the size if the writer removed the constant references to him tilting her chin and kissing her, telling her not to bite her lip, and constantly re~addressing the dom/sub rules.

Anyway, I'm starting to rant. I read it and can truly say I hated it. Right now I am seriously questioning why/how so many of my female friends are turned on by these books? And not just singles gals, but those in long term relationships also. I'm guessing they are missing something because I truly can't see the attraction to the characters, scenarios, and especially the sex, which is described in an extremely unsexy way! Blah, blah, blah, blah and blah. Vanilla indeed.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast