Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Fifty Shades of Grey? - Page 17

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Fifty Shades of Grey?

Default Re: Fifty Shades of Grey?

Yeah, Fifty Shades of NAY, for me. I am sure it the talk of the junior high set, when they sniped it from mom's drawer.

A friend of mine read them and said she thought they were "hot". I can't be bothered.

I did read the "Sleeping Beauty" books by Anne Rice (writing under a pseudonym back when I read them) and I thought they were pretty sexy in parts, and well written.

I'm waiting for the Pixar cartoons of 50 Shades... to come out.

The BDSM subject matter of 50 Shades was enough for me to say "pass". It's not a turn-on and never will be, and the trilogy of book blurbs about all three in the series are a tip-off that this is a literary relationship that puts the fun back into dysfunction.

The names were also a huge turn-off. They sound like stripper names. (The name of your first pet + the name of the street where you lived as a kid = your instant poledancer moniker.)

P.S. Barfly name = the very first thing you had to eat today + the name of your favorite drink (it can't be "beer" or "wine" - go for the label name)
    Mine, established when I was staying in a hotel room with nothing to eat except what I'd brought with me on the road, is Frito Mojito.

Bitsy Twelfth
    Cracker Barefoot

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Sawyer View Post
    P.S. Barfly name = the very first thing you had to eat today + the name of your favorite drink (it can't be "beer" or "wine" - go for the label name)
    Mine, established when I was staying in a hotel room with nothing to eat except what I'd brought with me on the road, is Frito Mojito.
    Toast Hoegarden.

Hm.

Stripper name -- Lady D Street

And my barfly name of the day:

Lil' Smokies Frappuccino

Lil' Smokies

Stripper name, Gypsy Carlisle.
    Barfly name, Banana Light Beer.

I still haven't read Fifty Shades of Grey and I don't plan on it. I have noticed a lot of spin off books tho, like the "Fifty Shades of Chicken" cookbook. It features a trussed up roasting hen. Really? Really.
    I was thinking about whipping up a little spin off book too, I was thinking maybe, Fifty Shades of Gravy. Grand spanking idea!

Has anyone read The Dice Man? That's not one to read on the bus I'm telling you! I had no idea when I picked it up!

They are terribly written books that very accurately, but I suspect unintentionally, represent an abusive relationship, as well as bad, Mary Sueish characters.

While the BDSM in the books is not done safely (and is pretty mild), BDSM isn't the abuse I am talking about. This book also represents people that are into BDSM as abused, abusive people, which is typically untrue. E.L.James poorly, if at all, researched a sub-culture she isn't into and grossly misrepresented it.

E.L.James is a plagiarist (of Twilight, of all things) and a bad, bad writer, and I would really like these books to just go away.

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast