This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Fifty Shades of Grey?

Default Re: Fifty Shades of Grey?

Sex in books makes me really uncomfortable so I really can't see myself reading this series

Where the Summer storms never hit hard enough.

Everyone has to be soooo creative with names these days. Pretty soon we're gonna have a "Monseigneur Penisface Boobhole Jones" as a protagonist in a raunchy action thriller....starring Tom Hanks.

No intention of reading them, but seems everywhere I look somebody is - thought there was going to be a cat fight in the bookstore last weekend over the last copy they had in stock (which may have been appropriate!!??) - From what I hear they are racey, but little else

Peeple is tarded.

A young (19) coworker of mine picked up the books because of all the hoopla. She was flipping through it prior to reading it, and found a shopping list for um, toys. She is soooo not the kind of person that has any exposure to that kind of thing. Her face when she told me about it was priceless- it was a combination of embarrassment, curiosity, shock and nervous excitement. Then she kinda whispered "I can't wait to find out what I've got myself into", and I knew she'd be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost19 View Post
    How about "Katniss Everdeen and Gale Hawthorn"?.....Wait a minute...those are already used in another bad trilogy...sorry
    Ha ... Can't speak to that as I haven't read that one. But those don't fall under my personal "bad names" umbrella. They are skewed enough to suggest that the world in which Hunger Games takes place is a slightly different one, but they don't seem overly self-conscious. "Anastasia Steele" and "Christian Grey" are very fanfic/bodice ripper-y. Like ... what I would expect a 13-year-old to pick as future boy and girl names, written in big loopy writing, with hearts dotting each i. And really. "Grey" and "Steele"? I see what you did there, author, though I wish I didn't.

That kind of makes sense though Todash. These books apparently started as a fanfic on a forum.

Kind of amazing that from a forum they've developed into such a phenom.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaMarie View Post
    That kind of makes sense though Todash. These books apparently started as a fanfic on a forum.

Ooohhhhh ... I did not know that. That does make complete sense, then.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaMarie View Post

I've read that but I am wondering what fan forum they came from. We definitely don't have those kinds of discussions in this fan forum. Or maybe we do and I'm just not invited.....

Hey - maybe my next career should be writing fan fiction for SK. Like Charlie from Firestarter and Jake from DT hook up. (Ack. I shudder at the thought of the entire thing.)

"I've read that but I am wondering what fan forum they came from..."

From what I recall (from the basic, inescapable morning "news" blurbs) the book(s) in question spawned from the Twilight/Meyer website boards.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast