This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: So who is the second best author after SK? Who else should every SK fan know about?

Default Re: So who is the second best author after SK? Who else should every SK fan know abo

For me, I guess Dean Koontz comes in for second place to SK....but his books are kind of weird and gross sometimes...and there have even been a couple that weren't very entertaining. All of SK's books that I've read so far have been entertaining to the point where I have a difficult time putting them down.

Default Re: So who is the second best author after SK? Who else should every SK fan know abo

Oh yes, there's also Philip K. Dick, Tolkien, Neil Gaimen, Joe Hill, Tabitha and Owen King (DUH,) Richard Matheson, Don DeLilo, Peter Straub..

(I just knew I was forgetting something yesterday!)

Happy reading, everyone!

You should check out Justin Cronin's The Passage, the first in an expected trilogy of post-apocalyptic novels. It's very well written, and it's about the end of the world. It's very believable.
    Another great author is George Orwell. 1984 and Animal Farm are great novels.
    Another author you should read is Alexandre Dumas. The Count of Monte Cristo is so good!

Quote Originally Posted by randallFlaggfan1 View Post
    I'd definitely agree about McCammon, but I'd also suggest Dan Simmons.
    Absolutely loved Summer of Night and A Winter's Haunting.

Song of Kali I found depressing and pointless. Drood was even worse.

Looking at his bibliography, I see there are a lot more. I need to give him another try.

I've always loved Vladimir Nabokov. Lolita & Pale Fire are his most known works, but, Laughter In The Dark & Pnin are great pieces.

I've read a lot of McCammon, Straub and Koontz. While McCammon has been consistently good throughout the years, Koontz has went downhill in recent years IMO. As far as Straub, I never know what I'm gonna get: another 'Ghost Story' or 'Floating Dragon'... or ...something like 'Dark Matter' or 'Hellfire Club'. So, for consistency, I would also pick McCammon as a runner-up to King among living horror writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Wilson View Post
    I nominate Robert McCammon.
    If you loved the Stand, read Swan Song.
    If you loved It, read Boy's Life.

He's the SK of the deep south.
    Your original question was a twofer, with "who is the second-best author after SK" being the first half.

SO......my answer is a two-parter thingy whatchamacallit quadrangled answer.
    First: SK isn't the best author out there. He's great, but IMO he's not the best that ever was.
    Two: based upon the assumption that not all SK fans read only horror or creepy-scary stuff, the answer to "who else should every SK fan know about" is that it's a three-way tie.

Every SK fan should read something by Vladimir Nabokov, Mark Twain, and Shakespeare.

boy's life is good

absolutely Ray Bradbury. His short stories are just brilliant things.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Jean View Post
    absolutely Ray Bradbury. His short stories are just brilliant things.

Stephen King recommended Michael Connelly "the Poet" it is one of Michaels best books as well. some become copy cats of the original but I absolutely loved "The POET"

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast