Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
So who is the second best author after SK? Who else should every SK fan know about? - Page 6

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: So who is the second best author after SK? Who else should every SK fan know about?

Default Re: So who is the second best author after SK? Who else should every SK fan know abo

I have 4 authors I will read faithfully.
    1. Stephen King
    2. JA Jance
    3. Sue Henry
    4. Lisa Jackson

But there is an unknown author I love, Katherine Eliska Kimbreil I love. She has a book out that is called 'Night Calls' She is primarally a fantasy writer, but this book I love. It has werewolves, vampires and Old Magick. (Notice the spelling of magick - Very Old School). Night Calls is a wonderfull book for me because of my Earth based beliefs. It is out of print, but it can be purchased thru private booksellers like thru Amazon if interested

Default Re: So who is the second best author after SK? Who else should every SK fan know abo

Thread: So who is the second best author after SK? Who else should every SK fan know about?
    Whoever is the literary equivalent of a Whopper and fries.

Quote Originally Posted by blunthead View Post
    I prefer the original Big Mac and fries guy myself!!

Quote Originally Posted by blunthead View Post
    Shouldn't that be "whomever is the literary equivalent of gloop"?

Funny, I have one McCammon book downstairs I read a few years ago - MINE - it was really well-written but I was astounded how similar his writing seemed to Stephen's. It gave me nightmares, horrible ones, not the weird and messed-up dreams I normally like.

Favourite author aside from SK? I really cannot pick one single writer. But I love Kurt Vonnegut. Aldous Huxley, George Orwell. Elmore Leonard. Hubert Selby Jr. They write about people and personalities, ideas and danger, flaunting fabulous intelligence without making the reader feel stupid. And Interview With The Vampire by Anne Rice is simply the greatest bloodsucker story ever told.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Sawyer View Post
    Shouldn't that be "whomever is the literary equivalent of gloop"?
    No, "whoever" and "whomever" are pretty much synonymous. Seriously, I don't know if by now Steve might describe himself as the literary equivalent of gloop, which while maybe being an improvement from a nutritional standpoint sounds like a demotion to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Learah Greene View Post
    Funny, I have one McCammon book downstairs I read a few years ago - MINE - it was really well-written but I was astounded how similar his writing seemed to Stephen's. It gave me nightmares, horrible ones, not the weird and messed-up dreams I normally like.

Favourite author aside from SK? I really cannot pick one single writer. But I love Kurt Vonnegut. Aldous Huxley, George Orwell. Elmore Leonard. Hubert Selby Jr. They write about people and personalities, ideas and danger, flaunting fabulous intelligence without making the reader feel stupid. And Interview With The Vampire by Anne Rice is simply the greatest bloodsucker story ever told.
    Hey! Have you not read 'Salem's Lot? Rice's story, different as it was, does not stack up to the gripping scariness that I found in the Lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunted View Post
    Hey! Have you not read 'Salem's Lot? Rice's story, different as it was, does not stack up to the gripping scariness that I found in the Lot.
    Oh of course, and it's fantastic. But that was all so much more about the people for me, it almost always is in King's work, how the characters act and the decisions they make. With Anne Rice, I wasn't fussed if I ever picked up another of her books (only managed a couple more) but in that one epic instant of IWTV, she delivered big time. It's got class, style, pace, it's rich and evocative and manages to carry off first-person narration in a huge volume, which really shouldn't work.

Here are a few of the novelists I can recommend...

1. CSLewis
    2. JRRTolkein
    3. Peter S Beagle
    4. William Goldman (not Golding)
    5. Sherwood Anderson
    6. JDSalinger
    7. Shirley Jackson
    8. Henry James
    9. Michael Chricton
    10. Dean R Koontz
    11. Douglas Adams
    12. Terry Pratchett
    13. Meg Gardiner

Didn't see anyone mention Tom Robbins or Philip K Dick. Both march to their own beat and wrote/write very different kinds of stories.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast