Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
So who is the second best author after SK? Who else should every SK fan know about? - Page 8

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: So who is the second best author after SK? Who else should every SK fan know about?

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Default Re: So who is the second best author after SK? Who else should every SK fan know abo

Not 2nd best but if you're looking for someone you haven't read before, I found a good author that I think most SK fans would like. His name is Scott Nicholson and you can buy his books on amazon in kindle form usually for 3 or 4 dollars. He self publishes on Amazon so I guess that keeps the price of his books down (I think most are only available in e-book form). He is very good and has quite a few titles. Here is a blurb about him from the amazon site:

Scott Nicholson had a successful full-time job as a reporter, but his true calling was to write fiction. "Writing novels has always been my real career, but so much of it was out of my control. I followed the same path through the publishing world as most writers—it was like there was an instruction manual dispensed by people who seemed a lot smarter than I was. Write every day. Research the markets. Get an agent. Stand in line. Build a career over time, and then I would be a writer."

Scott played by the rules and built a modest career, publishing six books in mass market paperback and contributing seventy short stories to magazines and anthologies. But soon Scott found his career hitting a wall. He discovered the big publishing houses weren't taking as many chances on midlist writers like him. "After 800 rejections, I realized that unless I found another way of getting my books out, they'd never be read by anyone but me."

"When Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing platform opened," says Scott, "I was skeptical at first, because the manual had always warned against self-publishing. They told us 'no one would ever take you seriously.' They were wrong."

"My first self-published Kindle release, The Red Church, did really well and I was encouraged," explains the author. "I was still submitting novels to agents and publishers, but as I added more books to the Kindle, I soon stopped sending work to agents and focused all my energy on self-publishing. Why go through others when it was so simple to do it myself? For the first time in publishing history, I can directly reach readers and let them decide whether they want to support my work. I trust readers to know what they want and find the writers they love, and it's never been easier for us to connect."

Scott continues, "The growth in new readers was steady, and after hitting the Kindle Top 100 bestsellers list at the end of 2010, my first year on the Kindle, I charted my sales and was startled by the numbers. I was earning more on writing than my reporting job, so I resigned, and for the first time, my day job was my career."

Scott offers advice to other aspiring authors: "The future doesn't wait. I believe you write each book for only one person in the world, the book that will change that person's life. Since you don't know who that person is, you should reach as many readers as possible so you don't miss that one. Your story doesn't do anyone any good, especially you, if it is stuck in a drawer or buried under a hundred other manuscripts in someone's mail room."

He defines success as satisfaction, and he has a lot to be satisfied about. "I've hit the Kindle Top 100 seven different times in three countries, built my own team of illustrators and translators, and am now approaching a million total downloads. Amazon has allowed me to fulfill the only true writing goal I've ever had: to write novels for a living. I am so grateful to be here, in what I see as the new Golden Age of Literature. I can hardly wait to see how digital publishing evolves."
    Try him out, I think you guys will like him. For 3 or 4 dollars, you're not losing too much if you don't like him.

Default Re: So who is the second best author after SK? Who else should every SK fan know abo

I just recently discovered the works of King's son, Joe Hill, and find him to be quite excellent. He's only had a few books out thus far but they've all been quite good. My favorite to this point is Heart Shaped Box. The atmosphere he creates with his writing reminds me a bit of Stephen King's early novels.

George r.r Martin there classics

RICHARD LAYMON
    GUY N SMITH
    BRIAN KEENE
    ED LEE

Raymond E. Feist ("Magician/Riftwar Saga... among many others)
    Tad Williams ("Otherland" series)
    Shirley Conran ("Savages")
    Meg Gardiner ("The Evan Delaney/Jo Beckett" series)
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

Peter Straub. No doubt. I can love them both!!!

And after him, Robert R McCammon..
    Skeleton Jack might catch you in the back and scream like a banshee, make you jump out of your skin!

Aiden James is a really good one,The Cades Cove Series has two books in it until the end of the year also he has the Judas Chronicles. I noticed nobody mentioned Dean Koontz, I enjoy his take on the paranormal as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FlakeNoir View Post
    Raymond E. Feist ("Magician/Riftwar Saga... among many others)
    Tad Williams ("Otherland" series)
    Shirley Conran ("Savages")
    Meg Gardiner ("The Evan Delaney/Jo Beckett" series)

I read the first book of Tad William, the second is still in my bookshelf waiting to be read lol

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    I'll have to check out Robert McCammon. Definitely.

For me, though, it's Neil Gaiman. Good Omens, Anansi Boys, American Gods, Coraline, Neverwhere, The Graveyard Book ... Loved them all. Yes, two are "children's" books, but a good children's book is still a good book.

I read American Gods by Gaiman, quite good I should say

Joe Lansdale - excellent taste dude!
    I love the Hap & Leonard books too.
    Try some of his others - 'The Bottoms' for starters.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast