Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
So who is the second best author after SK? Who else should every SK fan know about? - Page 9

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: So who is the second best author after SK? Who else should every SK fan know about?

Default Re: So who is the second best author after SK? Who else should every SK fan know abo

Never read anything by McCammon-thanks all for the tip!! Anyone else find Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas series entertaining? Easy reading but an endearing character IMHO.

Default Re: So who is the second best author after SK? Who else should every SK fan know abo

Quote Originally Posted by Anni M View Post
    Peter Straub. No doubt. I can love them both!!!

And after him, Robert R McCammon..
    Have you read Straub's Koko? Trippy-the Vietnam books & movies always intrigue and anger me!!

Quote Originally Posted by morgan View Post
    Never read anything by McCammon-thanks all for the tip!! Anyone else find Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas series entertaining? Easy reading but an endearing character IMHO.
    I have enjoyed a few Dean Koontz books and did like the easy reading of Odd Thomas. Lightening is another one worth a go if you like him.

Default If i may suggest a non-horror writer...

I'd say John Le Carre is the best spy novelist. I've read a few Tom Clancys , and mostly I liked them . I'm sorry to confess I never really got on to Robert Ludlum, but I love Le Carre's stuff.
    JLC's third novel, "The spy who came in from the cold " is a masterpiece of clean, focused writing (IMO) and of course ,"Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy." is considered one of the greatest ever. Tinker Tailor.. is the first novel in a trilogy. The second being "The Honourable schoolboy ", and the third "Smileys People " the second and third books are just as good as Tinker tailor.. and should be read to complete the story.
    " The Little Drummer girl " , " The night Manager "," The Constant Gardener ", and "Mission Song " are all good reads, To name a few.

If it isn't an S.K. book in my hand then it is The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Brian Keene. I used to be strictly a Stephen King snob when it came to horror. No one else in the genre could touch him. Until one day I came across The Rising. After that I started gobbling up all things Keene. Stephen is and always will be the best but Keene fills the void in between new King releases. For gore I recommend The Rising, City of the Dead, and Dead Sea (all though Conqueror Worms is also amazing). For a damn good read look to Ghoul. It was Ghoul that shot Keene into the realm of King for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEllimist View Post
    If it isn't an S.K. book in my hand then it is The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
    Oh my, absolutely! Good choice! Conan Doyle changed my life.

I think Dean Koontz is my second favorite author. His Odd Thomas books are really good. I also enjoy McCammon and a host others.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    I have enjoyed a few Dean Koontz books and did like the easy reading of Odd Thomas. Lightening is another one worth a go if you like him.
    I love Lightening. While Koontz wouldn't be a favorite he has done a few crackers and thats one of them for me.

This turned out to be a much tougher question than I thought it would be. I had to make separate categories and even then couldn't narrow 2nd places down to just one author.

2nd place for Horror:
    Richard Matheson and Robert Bloch

2nd place for SciFi/Horror
    Dean Koontz and Ray Bradbury

2nd place for character development:
    Fritz Leiber and maybe Philip Jose Farmer
    (Can I include Robert Kirkman? The Walking Dead isn't an actual novel but the characters are very real.)

2nd place for the ability to fill a novel with a multitude of realistic characters:
    Isaac Asimov

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast