This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Tom Holland to direct Ten O'Clock People

Lightbulb Tom Holland to direct Ten O'Clock People

You know, the guy that did "Fright Night" and "Child's Play".

I'm sad this will be the first post about the topic, because I'm actually really excited about it. Probably even more excited then when I found out IT was being adapted into two movies. This is probably due to the fact that, in my opinion, series and movies based on King's short stories turn out better then his novels (because there is so much to cover from the novels). Also, this was my first story that I read from Nightmares and Dreamscapes, and I still remember where I was (A Holiday Inn in Myrtle Beach, SC). It was a fantastic story, but I was hoping for a sequel, because it was just that great. Maybe what happened with Children of the Corn will happen to Ten O' Clock People (although the Children of the Corn movies weren't the greatest).

Once again, happy to be back.

Default Re: Tom Holland to direct Ten O'Clock People

Holland also directed The Langoliers and Thinner, two of the absolute worst King movies.

I am not optimistic about this at all.

I liked Fright Night so hopefully this could work out.

Once again, happy to be back.
    ...yep, I missed you....no, really....

@GNT: Sure you did :P

@Bryan, I never seen Langoliers, but I saw Thinner, and I actually enjoyed Thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan_Richards_of_Windsor View Post
    @Bryan, I never seen Langoliers, but I saw Thinner, and I actually enjoyed Thinner.
    In that case, odds are you may enjoy this new movie if it actually gets made. Don't get me wrong; I hope it does, and I hope it turns out well.

I have the feeling about Tom Holland that he's better at directing things he's written himself. Child's Play and Fright Night are much better than his earlier King adaptations.

I think it's hard to find a way to translate King to the screen in a way that's pleasing to everyone, because we all have are own visual interpretation of the stories and the characters (even if they stick close to the text) - Pet Sematary is one that comes close for me; even though there are differences, the tone of the movie felt very close to the book. Misery felt close too, despite the differences there too.
    So much in the books happens in people's thoughts and feelings and it's hard to play that out dramatically. You need good actors, like John Cusack in 1408 for example or James Caan, who are able to put what's in the characters' mind on the screen. And certainly a good script and dialogue.

I at least enjoyed Langoliers and Thinner enough, the first in a Twilight Zone kind of way (which is what I felt the story was inspired by anyway) and the second in a EC comic book/morality tale kind of way. But even for someone like Holland it proves adapting King is tricky.

Am I the only one who this story reminded them of John Carpenter's They Live by the way? It's been a long time since it came out, but I remember clearly noticing parallels between the two....

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
    But even for someone like Holland it proves adapting King is tricky.
    It all comes down to a simple fact: Stephen King is a great writer, and a great storyteller. Not good; not decent; great.

So, naturally, it stands to reason that in order to properly adapt one of his works, a filmmaker needs to have at least roughly the same amount of talent King has. How many of the filmmakers who've adapted King's books can you honestly say are even close to being as good at what they do as King is at what he does? All in all, not many, which is why the number of genuinely satisfactory King movies is ... limited.

Darabont, obviously, fits the bill; Kubrick, DePalma, Reiner, Cronenberg, at their best. Carpenter, occasionally.

Tom Holland?

Not so much. At best, he's a mediocre talent; at worst, you get The Langoliers, which is not merely bad, but inept.