This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Dozen Movies In 11/22/63

Default Re: A Dozen Movies In 11/22/63

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ....I would prefer it be "true" to the book...
    I agree, being true to the book is the best ending. Although if I had to choose another ending it would be the one I put (in 3 parts) under the alternate ending thread a few weeks ago just to say "goodbye" to Sadie.

Here's a question. What if Demme decided to rewrite the story so that we get a face to face encounter with JFK?

Any thoughts?

Bad idea.

bryantburnette has mentioned elsewhere the the idea of doing 11/22/63 as a miniseries. To me this has it's plus and minuses. Plus: room for characters and to include the complete story.

Minus: Potential loss of effective camera, lighting and worse, acting, all scaled down to TV level.

I think it can be done, and I'm not saying anything against it. I'd just like to know what others think.

Interesting idea

I absolutely agree about the miniseries.

When I heard that there was a project to adapt the book for the screen, I immediately thought that it was not the best idea.

How is it possible to reduce a nearly 900-page novel into a 150/180-minute film? And above all, THIS novel. For me that's impossible for two reasons:

The first reason is that there are no pages in excess. I think that everything (from George's first experience in the past to the investigation in Dallas, by way of the killing of Harry Dunning or his journey around Florida) it is essential to understand the story. Let alone removing a page from the story with Sadie or the dialogues with Mr Card...

The second one is that I think the essence of the book would be better preserved in a miniseries of 8/10 episodes. We're talking about a novel with abundant descriptions, some of them very detailed, running at a slow pace. There are also many own reflections of the protagonist (a voiceover would be interesting), so definitely a fast pace would eliminate this essence.

I understand that producing a miniseries like that should not be neither easy or cheap (remember we are talking about recreating an totally different era), but in the end, I think the result would be more satisfying for fans.

I prefer to be made into a movie not a tv series

If I could say one thing to Stephen King, it would be this: NO MORE TELEVISION!

I'm sorry, folks, but the TV adaptions ALWAYS suck! ALWAYS.

I'm so sick if this happening. "Under The Dome heading for the big screen!" and then, "Oh, uh, s'gonna be a TV show instead." Blechhh. "11-22-63 movie in the works!" and now, "Uh, how about a 11-22-63 TV show?" How about NO! Television is the SCUM of all media, it sucks the very lifeblood out of whatever it touches. Film is a respectable artform. Television is junkfood.

Sorry, but I SHANT be watching.

Quote Originally Posted by muskrat View Post
    If I could say one thing to Stephen King, it would be this: NO MORE TELEVISION!

I'm sorry, folks, but the TV adaptions ALWAYS suck! ALWAYS.

I'm so sick if this happening. "Under The Dome heading for the big screen!" and then, "Oh, uh, s'gonna be a TV show instead." Blechhh. "11-22-63 movie in the works!" and now, "Uh, how about a 11-22-63 TV show?" How about NO! Television is the SCUM of all media, it sucks the very lifeblood out of whatever it touches. Film is a respectable artform. Television is junkfood.

Sorry, but I SHANT be watching.
    Well maybe a movie will be a better way to adopt this novel

For those people who don't read I 'spect a movie would entertain them, 'tis a wonderful story. But I'll stick with my mind's pictures that it received from Mr. King's words.
    Last edited by Haunted; May 5th, 2013 at 10:40 AM. Reason: i before e except after c

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast