Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Any truth to the Dark Tower rewrite (possible spoiler) - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any truth to the Dark Tower rewrite (possible spoiler)

Default Re: Any truth to the Dark Tower rewrite (possible spoiler)

Quote Originally Posted by Spinebreaker View Post
    I hate to be the one to bring facts into an internet discussion board...

"Now he's finished the story he is trying to decide how much he can rewrite it, if he views the sequence as one very long novel. Can he do a second draft? He hopes so. Currently, Stephen King is a character in the fifth and sixth Dark Tower books, and Stephen King the non-fictional author is wondering whether to take him out on the next draft."

Interview with Stephen King by Neil Gaiman, earlier this year. You can find it here... http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2012/0...interview.html The necessary section iss just over 3/4 of the way down.

So, yeah. If you wanna listen to the man himself, there's a lot of truth to the idea of a rewrite.
    Now that you're done sounding snotty and smug to everyone here before you've even introduced yourself, let me just say I think you're totally wrong. The rewrite Gaiman is referring to isn't a literal re-write of the entire series, it's finding parts of the story that might be missing and remain unwritten. You conveniently left out the part of the interview just before this paragraph where they're talking about how King has just finished "The Wind Through the Keyhole":

"His next book, The Wind in the Keyhole, is a Dark Tower novel, part of a sequence that King plotted and began when he was little more than a teenager himself. The sequence took him years to finish, and he only finished spurred on my his assistants, Marsha and Julie, who were tired of fielding fan letters asking when the story would be completed."

So the re-write being referred to is how many stories like TWTTK might still be undiscovered.

So, yeah. If you actually read the whole article, there's not much truth to the idea of a rewrite.

I've heard (personally) Steve talk about a lot of different ideas for books over the years, many of them which have not been written although he intended to do so at the time he'd told me about them. One of those is the third book in The Talisman trilogy which is already about a year past due by his original estimation and still not on the horizon. I don't question that what Neil reported in the interview is true, but time will tell whether Steve will rewrite any of the other Dark Tower books. At the time he did the editing for The Gunslinger, he'd intended to do the next three in the series as well because there were many inconsistencies, in part because they had not been copy-edited before they were published and because of now having the benefit of seeing the story from start to finish. I asked him about this this morning and he is still thinking it over but it's not something he's working on at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by bryantburnette View Post
    I know there are King fans out there who dislike that element of the Tower books, but personally, I would think it was an absolute tragedy if he wrote himself out in a rewrite.

This shocked me. I thought putting himself into the book was the greatest idea ever...never imagined anyne would think differently.

I refer to it as "King out-Kingied himself". One of the things about his books is that he uses real brand names. Here, he uses a real person--himself. And, in a way, his name is a brand. So, he out-Kinged himself.

Firstly "I hate to be the one to bring facts into an internet discussion board..." is, as far as I'm concerned, completely comedic. An observation about the nature of facts and the internet, an electronic variation on "Pretentious? Moi". I honestly don't know anyone who would take such a comment seriously, If you di, that was not my intention. Cry your pardon.

Quote Originally Posted by fushingfeef View Post
    Now that you're done sounding snotty and smug to everyone here before you've even introduced yourself, let me just say I think you're totally wrong. The rewrite Gaiman is referring to isn't a literal re-write of the entire series, it's finding parts of the story that might be missing and remain unwritten...
    ...So, yeah. If you actually read the whole article, there's not much truth to the idea of a rewrite.
    However while 'actually reading the whole article' you'll notice the interview makes specific mention of removing the 'fictional' Stephen King from the novels. That at LEAST implies a complete rewrite of book 6. As well as MASSIVE changes to books 5 and 7.

Firstly
    However while 'actually reading the whole article' you'll notice the interview makes specific mention of removing the 'fictional' Stephen King from the novels. That at LEAST implies a complete rewrite of book 6. As well as MASSIVE changes to books 5 and 7.
    Spinebreaker, this has been explained by Ms. Mod, who works for King and talks to him on a daily basis. Do you honestly think she wouldn't have the most up-to-date information on the subject? Just because you read something doesn't mean it's true; King, like all human beings, occasionally changes his mind about things, so just because he said something in an interview once months ago doesn't mean he still feels the same way about it.

This is honestly not that difficult to understand.

Also, typically when you want to say something snarky and indicate that you were being ironic, well, that's what emoticons are for. Don't blame others for your own inability to communicate. I say this as someone whose own snarkiness has gotten him into e-trouble on more than a few occasions.

Spinebreaker, this has been explained by Ms. Mod, who works for King and talks to him on a daily basis. Do you honestly think she wouldn't have the most up-to-date information on the subject? Just because you read something doesn't mean it's true;
    So I'm supposed to definitely NOT believe everything I read... Fair enough. Does that mean your post too??? Does that mean Ms. Mod's post that you refer to? No, of course you don't. So yes, according to Ms. Mod it's not something that's being worked on right now but it's something SK is thinking about. I still don't understand the post after post of people saying "no, of course not" with no reference to ANYTHING except the posters own opinions.

According to Ms. Mod's duscussion with SK, it's been thought about, according to Neil Gaiman's interview with SK it's been thought about enough for him to consider taking his fictional self out of the books. IF that happens, at LEAST 1000 pages or so will need a severe re-writing (note the 'if').

Also, typically when you want to say something snarky and indicate that you were being ironic, well, that's what emoticons are for. Don't blame others for your own inability to communicate. I say this as someone whose own snarkiness has gotten him into e-trouble on more than a few occasions.
    I've never read a single book where an author has had to use little pictures to explain characters intentions, I've never written anything where I would waste my time drawing little pictures to explain the sentiment. Not on paper, the internet or a text message. People have been writing things for a LONG long time without having to explain themselves with diagrams afterwards.

No it's not 'difficult to understand', perhaps you need an emoticon there?!? SK said in an interview he was thinking of a re-write, Our messageboard's closest contact with King say's it's something he's thinking about. So yes, there is some truth to it, and the initial question does not deserve a parade of people essentially just shouting "No, of course there isn't.".

It's taken King some 7 years to get from a suggestion in one of the DT comics, to actually publishing 11/23/63... During those intervening years he may well have only been 'thinking about it' but the book turned up.

I'll take responsibility for having inadvertently contributed to the responses as I'd initially said it was just a rumor as at that time it was my understanding that Steve had given up the idea of editing the books and had never mentioned to me that he was thinking of writing himself out of books 6 and 7. Now that I've discussed it with him to verify, he has confirmed that he is thinking about it but there are no immediate plans to do so and no guarantee that those books will be redone and published so for now it's in the "possible" category rather than just a rumor.

Thanks for the support from those who posted, but hopefully my updated information can put at least that part of the discussion to rest.

I hate to be the one to bring facts into an internet discussion board...

"Now he's finished the story he is trying to decide how much he can rewrite it, if he views the sequence as one very long novel. Can he do a second draft? He hopes so. Currently, Stephen King is a character in the fifth and sixth Dark Tower books, and Stephen King the non-fictional author is wondering whether to take him out on the next draft."

Interview with Stephen King by Neil Gaiman, earlier this year. You can find it here... http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2012/0...interview.html The necessary section iss just over 3/4 of the way down.

So, yeah. If you wanna listen to the man himself, there's a lot of truth to the idea of a rewrite.
    The original poster's question was "Is it true that Mr. King plans to write himself out of The Dark Tower series in a future rewrite?"...please see...

Icculus
    Any truth to the Dark Tower rewrite (possible spoiler)
    Is it true that Mr. King plans to write himself out of The Dark Tower series in a future rewrite? I enjoyed the meta nature of those portions of the story. While they were not my favorite I thought they brought a lot to the table. Can anyone verify this or hopefully shoot it down?
    I apologize, Mod, but I have to defend you because you never said sK is planning anything pertaining to this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by blunthead View Post
    The original poster's question was "Is it true that Mr. King plans to write himself out of The Dark Tower series in a future rewrite?"...please see...

I apologize, Mod, but I have to defend you because you never said sK is planning anything pertaining to this subject.
    True, but I did say it was just a rumor based on the information I had at the time when I should have asked Steve first to see if that had changed. Mea culpa.

[/SIZE][/FONT]
    A thousand pardons, good sir. My bad.

I do get a bit defensive when a newbie seems to contradict Ms. Mod, although she doesn't really need me to defend her, do you, Marsha?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast