This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any truth to the Dark Tower rewrite (possible spoiler)

Default Re: Any truth to the Dark Tower rewrite (possible spoiler)

Quote Originally Posted by fushingfeef View Post
    A thousand pardons, good sir. My bad.

I do get a bit defensive when a newbie seems to contradict Ms. Mod, although she doesn't really need me to defend her, do you, Marsha?

But it's still appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by fushingfeef View Post
    A thousand pardons, good sir. My bad.

I do get a bit defensive when a newbie seems to contradict Ms. Mod, although she doesn't really need me to defend her, do you, Marsha?
    No need for even a single pardon to be fair.

Didn't mean to come across as contradicting anyone. That interview with Neil Gaiman was in a major Newspaper over here in the UK so it's perfectly understandable that the information's out there.

I think a large number of people have latched onto it, as there's a general feeling that the 'deus ex machina' stuff wasn't to everyone's liking

Marsha, we wuv you.
    Just thought you should know.

Quote Originally Posted by 91rewoT View Post
    Marsha, we wuv you.
    Just thought you should know.
    Right back atcha.

Please God . . . Sai King do not change a thing about these books; certainly don't even consider taking yourself out. I think to most constant readers, they'd find that crushing. I know I would. It's the about the greatest part(s) of the series for me.

Re-writing DT? No.

Expanding on DT, like Keyhole? Please, more, more, more. The way I see it, there's plenty room for more tales of Roland's early adventures. S'why I never liked the comics; I'd rather read Uncle Stevie's version of those years. Let's say, the period between Jericho Hill, and The Gunslinger --this is fertile ground for all sorts of cool stories. The comics cover these years, but those are comics, not novels, and to me, have NOTHING to do with the real Dark Tower epic.

Oh, yes: keep expanding the Dark Tower series forever! I'll buy a subscription, editions can come out annually like an old school encyclopedia!

I still do not see why everyone complains about the final books. I think him as an author was ingeneous just like Wes Craven did it in New Nightmare. I thought the ending was fantastic, not a happy ending by any means, but an ending that makes sense. Who knows maybe in time there could be an even different ending:P

Muskrat, those comics are officially endorsed by SK. He's pretty heavily involved... I doubt anything's making it in there that isn't 'official' as it were.

I think most people's dissatisfaction with the ending is the general shift in focus.

It seems like there's a definite direction that the story was going, and that direction changed hugely after SK was involved in his accident. I thought all 7 (8 now...) installments were at least good. But the parts I disliked most was the self referential stuff. I've never enjoyed Deus ex Machina in fiction. I just don't think it's ever been done well. The Dark Tower's one of the better examples, but I still feel it's weak storytelling.

Overall though, all the books in the series are worth reading, and I don't think there's anything 'wrong' with them, it's just a definite feeling that the story was going somewhere else up until that fateful moment in 1999...

The Dark Tower journey evokes a range of emotions - something a good story should do. Like it, love it, hate it, everyone is entitled to their opinion. BUT. Sai King told a story. A fantastic story. He should not feel obligated in any way shape or form to change any part of the story he told because some people didn't like it. Personally, I would be devastated if he did a rewrite and left himself out of the story. Because that is the way it happened. That's why he told it that way. I do believe there are other stories to be told (TWTTK showed us that!), but to change what is already written...no.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast