This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just finished this Book

Default Re: Just finished this Book

Finished it tonight. I loved the book, and hated the ending. I hated how King created a wonderful love story and then chickened out of completing it.

The hopeless romantics wanted Sadie to come back with him, but in our hardened age there is no room for hopeless romantics. It would have taken a lot of guts but he should have met her all over again on the last trip and brought her home.
    I was really let down.

Sounds like he really pulled you into the story then, eh?

I thought it was an unforgettable love story, with a sad and empty ending. A huge letdown for an ending that could have been uplifting. In the end, everything he did was for nothing. Ugh.

I disagree that it was for nothing.

He found the love of his life and made the sacrifice that was necessary for the greater good rather than only thinking of himself. It's very sad that he couldn't have lived the rest of his life with Sadie but it was what had to be done and Jake realized that and did the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    I disagree that it was for nothing.

He found the love of his life and made the sacrifice that was necessary for the greater good rather than only thinking of himself. It's very sad that he couldn't have lived the rest of his life with Sadie but it was what had to be done and Jake realized that and did the right thing.
    First,

nothing was different about the world at the end of the story than it was on page one. None of the good things he did were allowed to last. That was a disappointment in and of itself when you think about it.

i believe he certainly could have lived out his life with Sadie by going back the final time, and remaining there, rather than bringing her to the future. Remember, he had nothing really in 2011 but a failed marriage, while he said himself
    that the time he spent with her in the past was the best time of his life.

Yes the book really did grab me, it is now officially one of my favorite stories despite the bittersweet conclusion. I'm a composer and music producer, and a theme came into my head during his final conversation with the older Sadie, which I can't seem to shake lol

TH
    Last edited by FlakeNoir; March 8th, 2013 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Added spoiler tags

Mr. King, I want to thank you for writing this book. I loved it and it's one of my favourites now. I just finished reading it. I cried at the end. The idea

of meeting someone who's now way older than you and who you loved and still love is so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by meri lee View Post
    My first Stephen King book was Carrie, back in the 70's. This book, 11/22/63, sounded incredible. I was 9 yrs old when Kennedy was killed. I started reading and just couldn't put it down. I am a child of the 60's and was a teen of the 70's. Too young to remember the late 50's, but wow. I can not wait for the film to come out. Suggestion- Matt Damon would be great as Jake/George. Sadie is tall. I am a tall woman and slender as King's Sadie is. Nicole Kidman- maybe too old, or perhaps, Gwyneth Paltraw, spelling is wrong, you know who I mean. Gwyneth, would be amazing as Sadie. She may be tied up though doing more Iron Man films- i.e. Pepper Potts. When is film slated to be released???
    also was a child when JKF was killed. I was 10. But I live in Argentina. at those years I lived in a little little town "Punta Alta", and never forgot the moment we first listened on the radio the bad and terrible piece of news. This books by King, made me feel my childhood. I didn't finish to read the book but it doesn't last very much. It's incredible. Far one of the best book I've ever read.

This is the first book I have read by Mr. King, as I am not into fiction very much. I read it in one day, today, because I simply couldn't put it down. I was turned onto it by a couple of friends who listened to it as an audio book. What peaked my interest in it was the fact that there was a red '54 Ford Sunliner in it, like the one that I am using for my profile pic. Unfortunately she doesn't look as good now as she does in that picture, due to the fact that she has been sitting since May of 1990. My father bought the car in late winter or early spring of 1963. In fact, he said heard about Kennedy's assassination on his way back to work after lunch on the car's radio. One other fun fact for me about the book was the '59 Chevy. After I was born in Oct. of 1968 I was brought home in a '59 Chevy, although it wasn't a red one. I did thoroughly enjoy the book and have became a Stephen King fan.

I completly agree! I felt the same. It was as if I was seeng JFK in the motorcade; as if I was seeng Oswald in the corner of the 6th. floor book depository grabbing his gun! The book has a kind of magic, specially for people like me that remember the day Kennedy was assasinated. I still feel sorrow. I think the world would be much better. I admired so much JFK that is why my nickname is The Camelot.

Also, absolutely loved it. Read it on Kindle first, then got the audio edition to share with my husband so we could talk about (audio edition is one of the BEST narrations I've ever heard - amazing). I cried like a baby at the end both times! Who knew Stephen King had sweetness in him?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast