This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Derry in 11/22/63

Default Re: Derry in 11/22/63

I'm re-reading It for the first time in 25 years, and I read 11 /22/63 during the first quarter of 2012 , then covered the DT series over spring and summer. I really enjoy the connections. So far in It, I have noted "

the voice of the turtle", "a universe where roses sing", and "wheels of destiny", and "wheels of the universe"
    in the re-read. Lots of little notes here and there.

Jake's first visit to Derry is probably my favorite part of the book - especially when he's having a nice conversation with the bartender. I think it got me thinking about how a sequel to IT would probably be an interesting novel ... especially when dealing with modern day Derry. I loved it. It was creepy (the creepiest aspect of the book, which, while often spooky at times ... wasn't overtly horror), especially the scene where

he has an experience with IT at the Kitchener Ironworks
    - that spooked me!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Murdock View Post
    Did anyone else feel really unsettled reading about George/ Jake in Derry?

For me it was like revisiting an old town thats full of bad memories the longer he stayed there the more unsettled I felt

I have never felt that way before reading a novel but the way SK tied it up with IT with Richie and Bev was excellent and created a fantastic athmosphere

Anyone else experience this?
    So Im guessing had Roland and Oy been the ones to take out Oswald you would not have enjoyed it any less?

Quote Originally Posted by unclelouie View Post
    So Im guessing had Roland and Oy been the ones to take out Oswald you would not have enjoyed it any less?
    ...wait!.....what??...

On the topic of visiting Derry once again, I truly enjoyed that little throwback. I viewed it as a nod to the Constant Reader, but not to where a new reader wouldn't be able to follow along. I loved the characters of Richie and Bev in their original context, so it was nice to see them in between the two segments of their lives addressed in It. Personally, I feel like all the tie-ins to different books and relating back to the DT series just makes me love the Stephen King universe even more.

That being said, the creepiness was still lurking in Derry, and I feel like the reader could feel it and that George/Jake could feel it as well. Instead of a haunted house, we had a haunted town. Definitely a fan of how King presented this.

Quote Originally Posted by unclelouie View Post
    Ha ha, I think if Roland was the one to take out Oswald, he would have said "meh, screw the window of oportunity", walked to Canada, through to Alaska, then made a boat to sail to Russia, and shot him in 1958, then took out half the kgb, and anyone who tried to capture him.

against all the haters i love seeing someone i knew before.. it makes me feel that i belong that world.. like i in deed visit Derry in my past life or in my young ages.. when i see a person or a place i know it makes the connection feels real!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345