This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 105

Thread: Joe Hill

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Posts
    841

    Default Re: Joe Hill

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokescreen1982 View Post
    N0S 4R2
    It's kinda hilarious that the book has a different title in the UK so as to match the way the word "nosfearatu" is pronounced over there. Genius.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,926

    Default Re: Joe Hill

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokescreen1982 View Post
    I recently won an unchecked manuscript copy of Joe's new book N0S 4R2 months before it comes out in the shops

    I've only previously read Heart Shaped Box which I thought started really well, had a great story, but kinda faded out a little towards the end. I'm looking forward to starting N0S 4R2 though, might flick through a few pages tonight actually...
    JEALOUS!!!!!!

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Wilmington DE, strange little place.
    Posts
    570

    Default Re: Joe Hill

    This sounds very cool .

    Im wondering if Mr. Joe Hill has ever stated publicly that his writing , his stories , are not at all related
    to the King universe at all. Has he ever said whether he will or WILL NOT write sequels or prequels or sidebars to the Dark Tower series . Or whether he might write a story that is set in Derry or CastleRock... I am guessing he doesn't want to do that

    Has he ever been asked about this and did he ever make an official statement concerning the idea.
    The same thing could be asked of Robin Furth .

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default Re: Joe Hill

    Quote Originally Posted by bryantburnette View Post
    It's kinda hilarious that the book has a different title in the UK so as to match the way the word "nosfearatu" is pronounced over there. Genius.
    Sorry, but I don't understand...why is that hilarious? I particularly love the way you say how "nosfearatu" (? nosferatu) is pronounced over here, as if to imply there's something wrong with how we pronounce things in England. Hmmm, methinks not...after all, believe it or not we did invent the English language, not the Americans. Did you ever consider that maybe the way y'all pronounce things is what's truly hilarious? Anyhoo, I digress...your hilarious point about the UK title is??

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    93

    Default Re: Joe Hill

    I loved Heart Shaped Box, so much so that Joe Hill may very well be my second favorite author. I picked up Horns at the bookstore (yes, an actual brick and mortar bookstore. I will cry when such a place no longer exists) while I was purchasing the Dark Tower books, but I'm only on book 3 of the DT series, and probably won't read Horns until I'm done with all 8 books.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    3,847

    Default Re: Joe Hill

    Quote Originally Posted by ~Ally~ View Post
    Sorry, but I don't understand...why is that hilarious? I particularly love the way you say how "nosfearatu" (? nosferatu) is pronounced over here, as if to imply there's something wrong with how we pronounce things in England. Hmmm, methinks not...after all, believe it or not we did invent the English language, not the Americans. Did you ever consider that maybe the way y'all pronounce things is what's truly hilarious? Anyhoo, I digress...your hilarious point about the UK title is??
    Simma down, now! I don't think that was meant to be offensive or suggest that the UK way is wrong. Language is a living thing; as long as you can effectively communicate in society, you're doing it "right." But the differences in the way the language has evolved in various places ... well, it is kinda funny.

    Like the way Indians say "do the needful." I dug into that a bit, and it turns out that actually it's an old British expression, but whereas your lot no longer uses it, since India got their independence in 1947, their version of English kind of got stuck. It's neither right nor wrong, just ... funny.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default Re: Joe Hill

    Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    Simma down, now!
    Aww shucks, I hate to do this but...

    Noooooo!


    I understand what you're saying about language evolving...yet that doesn't explain why he thinks it's hilarious.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    14,080

    Default Re: Joe Hill

    I'm not totally sure I'm getting it but in the US the title is NOS 4A2 (Nos four ah two) and in the UK it will be NOS 4R2 (Nos four ar two). Maybe it has more to do with Mainers/New Englanders not pronouncing their "r" sounds as strongly and Brits do? I don't think you need to take it any more personally than that, Ally. I didn't take it as a slam against those in the UK so chips on shoulders probably not necessary.


  9. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default Re: Joe Hill

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    I didn't take it as a slam against those in the UK so chips on shoulders probably not necessary.
    I don't feel asking why he thought it was hilarious means I have a chip on my shoulder, but thank you for your explanation/opinion.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    3,847

    Default Re: Joe Hill

    Quote Originally Posted by ~Ally~ View Post
    I don't feel asking why he thought it was hilarious means I have a chip on my shoulder, but thank you for your explanation/opinion.
    I love it when you get all feisty.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •