Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Joe Hill - Page 8

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Hill

Default Re: Joe Hill

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ally~ View Post
    So how many areas of the UK have you visited, and where in the UK/USA did you conduct this research to verify your findings? Do you really believe all of the people in Britain have only one accent, and that all American's have only one accent?

By the way...does he get one chip on his shoulder for his "Just sayin'" or are they reserved purely for me?
    Obviously there are many variations of the British accent, just as there are many variations of an American accent. But the "stereotypical" (if you want to use that term) American accent is closer to the original English accent than the "stereotypical" British accent. I haven't done any research on this myself, but every linguist I've ever heard speak (or write) on the subject says that it is the case, and I assume that they have done the research themselves.

The reason why it is so makes sense. America, especially pre-20th century America, is very isolated from the rest of the world, so we have less influences over our language. Britain isn't isolated from other culture and languages the way America is/was, therefore the accent has changed far greater than America's. If movies and TV show's wanted to be accurate, they would have pre-Revolution American and British charactors speaking in a current day Midwestern American accent.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ally~ View Post
    Okay, I really can't be any clearer on this...I do not care what people think about me. I asked why the poster thought the name change was hilarious, and he hasn't even had a chance to respond yet. It has been determined that the nature of my posts equate to possessing a chip on my shoulder, which at times is true so I don't deny it. I'm not being defensive about anything, if it comes over that way then that's purely miscommunication, but I have been nothing but honest in my responses. I'm not the type of girl who is going to go off and cry in the corner because people don't like me. The way I see it, the ignore feature is there for a reason so anyone who doesn't want to read my posts can use it--unfortunately that option isn't possible for Ms Mod since she moderates, say sorry --but anyone else who is offended by me has no excuse.

Phew.
    ...so, what you're trying to say is..........

I've been lucky enough to read NOS4A2 (I got both an unedited manuscript ARE and the regular ARC) and enjoyed the story quite a bit. Very different.

John

Quote Originally Posted by jchanic View Post
    I've been lucky enough to read NOS4A2 (I got both an unedited manuscript ARE and the regular ARC) and enjoyed the story quite a bit. Very different.

John
    Still quite jealous.....I'm waiting for it's release.....and not very patiently, I might add.

Thanks, John. Without spoiling, can you elaborate on "very different"? How does it compare to Joe Hill's prior works? I can't wait for this one!

I don't mean to say it's very different from Hill's works--just that it's a very different kind of story.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan James View Post
    I hope ho does more shorts.

His longer stuff doesn't work for me. Honestly, it just doesn't hold up. It gets cramped and redundant and then (the worst part) forced because he knows it is cramped and redundant.

Maybe that's why he likes the "Locke and Keye" stuff...novels just aren't his best gig right now.

I hope he does more short stories because I have really enjoyed most of them....and I'm not into the graphic "junk," although I know it has that fun "look at me I'm a rock$star" stuff associated with it.

Not my bag, baby.
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

While I love 20th Century Ghosts, the novels just don't work for me. I feel like I'm reading some Stephen King lite story with the novels.

Can't wait for "Double Feature" by Owen King, I thought "We're all in this Together was terrific, I hope he knocks it out of the park with his novel!

Quote Originally Posted by nygene40 View Post
    Can't wait for "Double Feature" by Owen King, I thought "We're all in this Together was terrific, I hope he knocks it out of the park with his novel!
    I just finished re-reading We're All In This Together, which is a damn fine book. I especially love "Wonders" and "My Second Wife."

looking forward to all of them. finally read heart shaped box--loved it!!

I *loved* Heart Shaped Box and enjoyed a lot of the short stories in Ghosts. Have Horns sitting on my shelf in the "to read" pile. Just finished Tall Grass and the teaser for NOS4A2... wow! I can't wait for it to come out!

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast