This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batman and Robin Have an Altercation

Hybrid View

Default Batman and Robin Have an Altercation

I didn't see a thread devoted to this story yet, so here it is. Since the story is relatively new, I'll try to keep it spoiler free. If you want to discuss, use spoiler tags when divulging specific plot points.

I liked the story overall, actually I wished it were a little longer. I wanted to know more about Sanderson and his father, and felt strongly for the characters. SK gives another perspective on the aging, one that has been alluded to in prior works but still manages to surprise.

About the ending:

The ending was quite shocking for me, but it also felt very real. I worry about what will happen to Sanderson's father, but I assume a parent has the right to defend his child, no matter what the age, when their life is being threatened.

I'm not sure what subtext or deeper meaning King has here, I think this is just more of a "this is what happened" kind of story, what did you all think?

Default Re: Batman and Robin Have an Altercation

I love the story at its current length. Frank O'Connor wrote that in short stories, ‘a whole lifetime must be crowded into a few minutes.’ I love the "unresolved" aspects of the story. I suspect it's similar for SK - refreshing not to have to wrap up loose ends.

Many of the stories in "Just After Sunset" have that same quality. I also find King's gorwing interest in aging interesting. Not surprising, since he and Tabby are aging as well.

I thought it was a great story; one of the best King has written in the past few years. Boy, that next collection is going to be awfully strong, whenever it comes out...

I like when

Pop says, "Who was that guy?"
    Classic

...yeah Doc, I'm gonna wait on the(hoped for)collection, instead of chasing around and about for these gifts of Unca Steve's...there's only a couple I've missed thus far-which will make the(please Gan)collection that much more spicy for me...and hopefully, our great uncle doesn't become so geriatric-centric, that he starts tossing off bon-mots to Metamucil....though it would be a hilarious follow-up to a "Very Tight Place"....

Quote Originally Posted by fushingfeef View Post
    About the ending:

The ending was quite shocking for me, but it also felt very real. I worry about what will happen to Sanderson's father, but I assume a parent has the right to defend his child, no matter what the age, when their life is being threatened.
    I like the open ended ending and

I think Pops had enough going for him that he'll be fine. Go Pops!! He was getting along in his disease and will likely be at the clearing soon enough, sooner then the judicial system moves anyway. Plus the attack on his son was turning serious and there was not any provocation. And if it actually came to it then a competent lawyer should easily be able to use Alzheimer's disease as grounds for 'mentally incompetent to stand trial', or 'legal insanity'

This may be the shortest Stephen King short story of all time!

Quote Originally Posted by w666 View Post
    This may be the shortest Stephen King short story of all time!
    You have clearly never read "For the Birds"...

I really liked this tale. As mentioned above- a whole lifetime must be created in a few short minutes (paragraphs) and King is, well, king at doing this. For me, this is a bittersweet tale, but a, as they say in the Northeast, 'keepah'.

Love the story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast