Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Why is Wolves considered bad? - Page 4

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why is Wolves considered bad?

Default Re: Why is Wolves considered bad?

Quote Originally Posted by tenngolfer View Post
    Everyone has their own taste, I found the Gunslinger tough, but really enjoyed the rest of the series, including Wolves.
    I honestly scratch my head at why people find The Gunslinger so tough to get through. It really hooked me into the series and I gotta say I loved the part where

Walter/Marten/Flagg/Whoever tells him about the relation between time, reality and size. Are we all living in a universe made of the gunk under Gans fingernails? When he cleans them, will we all disappear? Bring it oooon! Can't happen soon enough, I say! Also, did anyone notice the link between how Marten brought the weed-eater back to life and [spoiler for mention of Dark Tower Marvel Illustrated Novel]

what Marten did when Roland was presumably 'dead?'
    Ahh, mega, super, ultra, deluxe secret squirrel tactics!

"He darkles, he tincts."

I love that word: tincts. I need an excuse to use it...somehow...

Just finished reading Wolves while on vacation in Mexico..so being I have the whole DT series on my e-reader I jumped righ into Song of Susannah..for me I did enjoy wizard and glass..loved The Gunslinger it hooked me..Drawing of the three stumbled me may times..didn' like that one....The Wastelands was good I enjoyed that one..now for Susannah

It is strange, although I am far behind most sk readers in terms of what they have read, the 10 or so that I have read seem to to either conform to what people like - my fave is IT, or be the polar opposite - I really didn't find the shining to be all that great, found it a decent story, but not a favourite. I als so called "lesser stories" like the langoliers and girl who loved tom Gordon.

As far as the dt series is going, I went into gunslinger with much caution, aware of its reputation, but came out thinking "what was all the fuss about?" I found it easy to read and really enjoyed it. Drawing of the 3 - which I have read a lot of people saying they did not like that one as it is too silly - is my favourite so far, I love it. Wastelands was an absolute chore for the first half, as they seemed to do nothing until they got to lud, my worst so far. W&g, started great, looked like we were making progress, then came the 600 page back story. This was a problem with me, not the book. I wanted to carry on down the path of the beam, and considered skipping it - what an idiot I would have been, turned out to be great. As for wolves, which I finished half an hour ago, a bad book? I have never heard such nonsense. I loved it.

I tend to enjoy them more after a break between books though, so I may hang back a bit first, read something like the body, or even a non sk book - I have Ronnie woods autobiography waiting to be read. Then jump into this crazy Blade runner-ish idea of the author's fictional setting being at the heart of the characters 'real world' - if that makes any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nameless View Post
    It is strange, although I am far behind most sk readers in terms of what they have read, the 10 or so that I have read seem to to either conform to what people like - my fave is IT, or be the polar opposite - I really didn't find the shining to be all that great, found it a decent story, but not a favourite. I als so called "lesser stories" like the langoliers and girl who loved tom Gordon.

As far as the dt series is going, I went into gunslinger with much caution, aware of its reputation, but came out thinking "what was all the fuss about?" I found it easy to read and really enjoyed it. Drawing of the 3 - which I have read a lot of people saying they did not like that one as it is too silly - is my favourite so far, I love it. Wastelands was an absolute chore for the first half, as they seemed to do nothing until they got to lud, my worst so far. W&g, started great, looked like we were making progress, then came the 600 page back story. This was a problem with me, not the book. I wanted to carry on down the path of the beam, and considered skipping it - what an idiot I would have been, turned out to be great. As for wolves, which I finished half an hour ago, a bad book? I have never heard such nonsense. I loved it.

I tend to enjoy them more after a break between books though, so I may hang back a bit first, read something like the body, or even a non sk book - I have Ronnie woods autobiography waiting to be read. Then jump into this crazy Blade runner-ish idea of the author's fictional setting being at the heart of the characters 'real world' - if that makes any sense.
    I've always thought DOT3 was the most popular...around here, anyway...

Yeah, take a break for a while because once you start SoS you'll be turning the pages as fast as you can and hurdling toward the end of book VII. Trust me-been there, done that. It's a helluva ride! Enjoy it!!!

I didn't have a problem with Wolves. Wizard was the one I struggled with. I found it extremely boring. I don't remember much of Susannah, but I'm thinking I didn't care much for it even though I remember reading it in two eight hour shifts at work, so I must have enjoyed it, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ZMeister View Post
    I honestly scratch my head at why people find The Gunslinger so tough to get through. It really hooked me into the series and I gotta say I loved the part where

Walter/Marten/Flagg/Whoever tells him about the relation between time, reality and size. Are we all living in a universe made of the gunk under Gans fingernails? When he cleans them, will we all disappear? Bring it oooon! Can't happen soon enough, I say! Also, did anyone notice the link between how Marten brought the weed-eater back to life and [spoiler for mention of Dark Tower Marvel Illustrated Novel]

what Marten did when Roland was presumably 'dead?'
    Ahh, mega, super, ultra, deluxe secret squirrel tactics!

"He darkles, he tincts."

I love that word: tincts. I need an excuse to use it...somehow...
    It is amazing how we all have different tastes, even at different points in our lives. When I first read The Gunslinger I was instantly pulled in and read all the way through Wizard and Glass (which was the last published Dark Tower book at that time).

Ten years later, I started re-reading the first four and had already bought the last three in anticipation of reading them all straight through. I didn't think I was going to make it through Gunslinger. Thought about skipping it or forgetting the whole idea. I trudged through thinking "how did this draw me in so much years ago"? I'm glad I persisted as the tale really picked up steam with The Drawing.

I thought Wolves was great. I also find it strange that some don't like The Gunslinger. It is great too. Some of the books I liked better than others, but they all had a specific purpose. Wastelands was probably my favorite, closely followed by Gunslinger, Wolves and part seven. Liked them all, though.

i think "wolves..." is one of the best! it shows an accurate account of what the last gunslingers of the land would have experienced (being that they were the last gunslingers, to whom else could the folken of calla bryn sturgis turn for such large-scale conflict resolution?) on the way to the tower. i feel their work in the calla galvanized our perception of the ka tet as gunslingers, and i actually appreciated the diversion of pere callahan's tale.

So I just spoke of my difficulties with part V on another thread, but I have to say reading this thread I have been encouraged to look at it in a different light. Especially about the pull to the tower....I am excited again...

Dark......Tower......Book......bad.......must...co ntrol....stop....typing.....there we go......long days and pleasant nights........

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234