Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Roland's Salvation **SPOILERS** - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roland's Salvation **SPOILERS**

Default Re: Roland's Salvation

The one thing I wonder is this... on each subsequent journey does he meet a new/alternate version of Eddie, Jake, and Suze? Or does he end up drawing 3 totally different people from Earth(s)? I imagine each journey Roland makes creates a new/alternate timeline, which branches off from the prime timeline.

And as we all know (ala the butterfly effect), even the smallest change can cause a tremendous shift in a timeline (if you were to go back in history and change something). So maybe with the Horn of the Eld, Roland's subsequent journey took him on a totally different path. Heck, maybe Roland ended up drawing George Denbrough or Bobby Garfield this time instead of Jake.. maybe he will draw Carrie instead of Suze (that's an odd thought)... perhaps.. he may draw Charlie Decker instead of Eddie. I'd say Bobby, Carrie, and Decker are as troubled as any 3 people you could draw! haha

Default Re: Roland's Salvation

Maybe this thread should say "spoiler" ?

Freemansburg PA, sort of near Philadelphia

Default Re: Roland's Salvation **SPOILERS**

Is it just me that thinks that the ending, much like the ending of the first book, wasn't meant to portray an eventual "good" ending? My impression was that he'll repeat the journey forever. Beyond scary in my opinion, but that was I took from it. The thought of Roland reaching the Tower in its untainted splendor is a pleasant one, however. But then what?

Quote Originally Posted by Vose View Post
    Is it just me that thinks that the ending, much like the ending of the first book, wasn't meant to portray an eventual "good" ending? My impression was that he'll repeat the journey forever. Beyond scary in my opinion, but that was I took from it. The thought of Roland reaching the Tower in its untainted splendor is a pleasant one, however. But then what?
    Then what? Who knows...

Perhaps you've hit on something there with him having to repeat the journey forever. Perhaps that is Roland's hell...

I'm sure I read somewhere Stephen King said something along the lines of 'It's not the destination but the journey that counts; the actual story rather than the ending'. Roland has an arduous journey ahead of him, but, would he choose to change his life and goals? Would he consciously have it any other way? Would he not fight to retain his lifestyle if it were threatened? We might think our own lives are boring, unfulfilling, unhappy, uncomfortable, etc. But, if something were to remove our current lives and habits, we would wish nothing but to have it back. Perhaps it is not hell but heaven.
    *Apologies for the terrible paraphrasing*

I'd like to think his salvation is his friends. Jake, Eddie, Suzy, and OY!

I believe Roland has done only what he partially needs to do to stop returning to the tower. He opened his heart to friends and the formation and love of another ka-tet. What he hasn't done is open his heart up to romantic love. Repeatedly we are told that Roland is a romantic at heart, but after the death of Susan, he has closed that part of himself. In reality it is the death of Susan and Roland blaming the Crimson King ultimately for her demise and the fall of gilead that started this quest. When he looked into the pink wizards glass, he saw everything including his journey to the dark tower. I believe he learned the true nature of the forces at work to destroy the world as he knew it. With that said, I think in his last journey one of his ka-tet should be the reincarnation of Susan. I think that since the quest began almost because of her, that it should end with her. I also think it would be cool to have Roland have a biological son. HE slept with a woman on his trip to the keystone Earth, I believe that woman should have gotten pregnant with his son, and raised a natural born gunslinger. In this way Roland will gain his family, a life he swore off once he accepted the quest of the Tower. I believe these things will help him end his cycle. Btw I also think his ka-tet are always reincarnations of his original group. I think he pulls different people but they are all gunslingers at heart, and they are all Cuthbert, Alain, Susan, Jaime etc.

The journey is our own tower,and the reason for keepin on..there is no end payoff,the journey,our friends,family,everything in our lives is our gift..

Perhaps redemption for Roland will take form in not seeking the Dark Tower anymore. Maybe the cruel joke is that he's doomed to repeat his journey for as long as the tower is the most important thing to him.

King talks a bit about what he thinks it will take to save Roland -- although he's a bit coy about it -- in my interview with him for The Dark Tower Companion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast