This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: In The Tall Grass

Default Re: In The Tall Grass

I just finished this one...I loved it! This was my first JH read..I will read more. Can't wait for Dr. Sleep!! Forgive me for being ignorant but does Joe Hill have a collection of his short stories to purchase or are they all individual?? I guess I could google it but you guys always know everything.

Got to read this on my sister's Nook - awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Mary19 View Post
    I just finished this one...I loved it! This was my first JH read..I will read more. Can't wait for Dr. Sleep!! Forgive me for being ignorant but does Joe Hill have a collection of his short stories to purchase or are they all individual?? I guess I could google it but you guys always know everything.

Twentieth Century Ghosts is a short story collection.

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Ms Mod, I asked a similar question a long time ago but I'm going to ask again since some time has passed and a few more e-book short stories and novellas have been published.

Is SK happy with the e-book as an outlet for his shorter works? Do they sell as well as when they are in a magazine? To me, the e-book seems like an excellent way to sell a novella as opposed to a magazine with the word count restrictions he may encounter with that. Just kind of curious if you've heard any feedback around the office about this subject.

I don't have sales number comparisons for print vs. ebook releases for the short stories and probably wouldn't be able to get that for you until things settle back into a more normal routine with NYC. It's still about the story more than the format in which it's released for Steve so as far as he's concerned, I don't think that factors into it. He's a big reader of ebooks as well as print and doesn't feel it will be the downfall of publishing. I think you may be correct about their selling better in ebook format--word count considerations aside--as it makes them available to a wider audience than print magazine sales would.

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    I don't have sales number comparisons for print vs. ebook releases for the short stories and probably wouldn't be able to get that for you until things settle back into a more normal routine with NYC. It's still about the story more than the format in which it's released for Steve so as far as he's concerned, I don't think that factors into it. He's a big reader of ebooks as well as print and doesn't feel it will be the downfall of publishing. I think you may be correct about their selling better in ebook format--word count considerations aside--as it makes them available to a wider audience than print magazine sales would.
    Thanks - I just happened to be re-reading Shawshank last night and I read the afterword of Different Seasons where he mentioned how hard it was to do anything with a novella. Of course, with Different Seasons he made a way to deal with it and started the 4 novella to a book format.

Where the Summer storms never hit hard enough.

The second half kinda fell apart for me (I got the two doses via Esquire Mag)...not that it was bad, but because the buildup of the first was mayhap too good? Critics who use question marks are to be as trusted as skinny Chefs in the early 20th Century.

I think they have both written Ultrazone stuff, but this collaborative effort was merely "Above Cool," so it should be read.

Final Remark on the work.

Where the Summer storms never hit hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan James View Post
    Final Remark on the work.
    One last: My Esquire Mag dead tree version smells better than your e-reader thingy (unless you are supermegagay and rub it down with something) version. Not that there's anything wrong with that except it proves that you are a fashionable waste of oxygen.

Full Dicksclosure: I did rub some of the Esquire fragrance advert panels on my wrists before going out and doing yard work. Brunoface?

The most disgusting story I ever read, b/c it was created with no other thought in mind than to give birth to a story that represents violence for the sake satisfying bloodlust and nothing else. IOW, sadistic people are the only ones who will truly enjoy this story.
    I have no idea why they wrote it, and I expect no answer will be given in the matter.

Why do people lust for senseless violence in their quest for literary and televised entertainment, but if they meet someone who's suffered a real as opposed to imagined act of violence, then they run 5,000 miles away from that person never to set eyes on or speak to the person ever again?

WTF is that? A perfect example of the quote "When it happens in real life it's called a tragedy, when it happens on television and in books it's called entertainment?"

I'd bet money this won't even be posted, but the question will remain whether it makes an appearance here or not. And the answer, I'd gather, will not be forthcoming in my lifetime.

I can handle violence that has a purpose, no matter how dark. But I draw the line at violence for the sake of violence. I simply can't handle it and have no comprehension how other people can accept all this televised and novelized destruction but turn around and shun people who have had violent acts visited on their persons.

Quote Originally Posted by EMTP513 View Post
    The most disgusting story I ever read, b/c it was created with no other thought in mind than to give birth to a story that represents violence for the sake satisfying bloodlust and nothing else. IOW, sadistic people are the only ones who will truly enjoy this story.
    I have no idea why they wrote it, and I expect no answer will be given in the matter.

Why do people lust for senseless violence in their quest for literary and televised entertainment, but if they meet someone who's suffered a real as opposed to imagined act of violence, then they run 5,000 miles away from that person never to set eyes on or speak to the person ever again?

WTF is that? A perfect example of the quote "When it happens in real life it's called a tragedy, when it happens on television and in books it's called entertainment?"

I'd bet money this won't even be posted, but the question will remain whether it makes an appearance here or not. And the answer, I'd gather, will not be forthcoming in my lifetime.

I can handle violence that has a purpose, no matter how dark. But I draw the line at violence for the sake of violence. I simply can't handle it and have no comprehension how other people can accept all this televised and novelized destruction but turn around and shun people who have had violent acts visited on their persons.
    ...oughta get yourself a relaxed fit pair of boxers-coz yers are cinched up WAY to tight!...and you've gotta be kidding "violence with a purpose"?...short of prison executions or hunting and fishing, some professional sports etc.-I don't see much in the way of "acceptable" violence...and remember pard, nobody twisted your arm to read the damn thing-obviously you don't know much about EITHER author, since your were expecting what?-the Hillbilly Bears meet the Care Bears?...get real and get over it...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast