This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41

Thread: In The Tall Grass

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    London ontario area
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: In The Tall Grass

    I just finished this one...I loved it! This was my first JH read..I will read more. Can't wait for Dr. Sleep!! Forgive me for being ignorant but does Joe Hill have a collection of his short stories to purchase or are they all individual?? I guess I could google it but you guys always know everything.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southern Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,354

    Default Re: In The Tall Grass

    Got to read this on my sister's Nook - awesome!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    14,080

    Default Re: In The Tall Grass

    Quote Originally Posted by Mary19 View Post
    I just finished this one...I loved it! This was my first JH read..I will read more. Can't wait for Dr. Sleep!! Forgive me for being ignorant but does Joe Hill have a collection of his short stories to purchase or are they all individual?? I guess I could google it but you guys always know everything.

    Twentieth Century Ghosts is a short story collection.


  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory
    Posts
    2,805

    Default Re: In The Tall Grass

    Ms Mod, I asked a similar question a long time ago but I'm going to ask again since some time has passed and a few more e-book short stories and novellas have been published.

    Is SK happy with the e-book as an outlet for his shorter works? Do they sell as well as when they are in a magazine? To me, the e-book seems like an excellent way to sell a novella as opposed to a magazine with the word count restrictions he may encounter with that. Just kind of curious if you've heard any feedback around the office about this subject.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    14,080

    Default Re: In The Tall Grass

    I don't have sales number comparisons for print vs. ebook releases for the short stories and probably wouldn't be able to get that for you until things settle back into a more normal routine with NYC. It's still about the story more than the format in which it's released for Steve so as far as he's concerned, I don't think that factors into it. He's a big reader of ebooks as well as print and doesn't feel it will be the downfall of publishing. I think you may be correct about their selling better in ebook format--word count considerations aside--as it makes them available to a wider audience than print magazine sales would.


  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory
    Posts
    2,805

    Default Re: In The Tall Grass

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    I don't have sales number comparisons for print vs. ebook releases for the short stories and probably wouldn't be able to get that for you until things settle back into a more normal routine with NYC. It's still about the story more than the format in which it's released for Steve so as far as he's concerned, I don't think that factors into it. He's a big reader of ebooks as well as print and doesn't feel it will be the downfall of publishing. I think you may be correct about their selling better in ebook format--word count considerations aside--as it makes them available to a wider audience than print magazine sales would.
    Thanks - I just happened to be re-reading Shawshank last night and I read the afterword of Different Seasons where he mentioned how hard it was to do anything with a novella. Of course, with Different Seasons he made a way to deal with it and started the 4 novella to a book format.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Where the Summer storms never hit hard enough.
    Posts
    1,957

    Default Re: In The Tall Grass

    The second half kinda fell apart for me (I got the two doses via Esquire Mag)...not that it was bad, but because the buildup of the first was mayhap too good? Critics who use question marks are to be as trusted as skinny Chefs in the early 20th Century.

    I think they have both written Ultrazone stuff, but this collaborative effort was merely "Above Cool," so it should be read.

    Final Remark on the work.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Where the Summer storms never hit hard enough.
    Posts
    1,957

    Default Re: In The Tall Grass

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan James View Post
    Final Remark on the work.
    One last: My Esquire Mag dead tree version smells better than your e-reader thingy (unless you are supermegagay and rub it down with something) version. Not that there's anything wrong with that except it proves that you are a fashionable waste of oxygen.

    Full Dicksclosure: I did rub some of the Esquire fragrance advert panels on my wrists before going out and doing yard work. Brunoface?

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: In The Tall Grass

    The most disgusting story I ever read, b/c it was created with no other thought in mind than to give birth to a story that represents violence for the sake satisfying bloodlust and nothing else. IOW, sadistic people are the only ones who will truly enjoy this story.
    I have no idea why they wrote it, and I expect no answer will be given in the matter.

    Why do people lust for senseless violence in their quest for literary and televised entertainment, but if they meet someone who's suffered a real as opposed to imagined act of violence, then they run 5,000 miles away from that person never to set eyes on or speak to the person ever again?

    WTF is that? A perfect example of the quote "When it happens in real life it's called a tragedy, when it happens on television and in books it's called entertainment?"

    I'd bet money this won't even be posted, but the question will remain whether it makes an appearance here or not. And the answer, I'd gather, will not be forthcoming in my lifetime.

    I can handle violence that has a purpose, no matter how dark. But I draw the line at violence for the sake of violence. I simply can't handle it and have no comprehension how other people can accept all this televised and novelized destruction but turn around and shun people who have had violent acts visited on their persons.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, Ohio
    Posts
    17,667

    Default Re: In The Tall Grass

    Quote Originally Posted by EMTP513 View Post
    The most disgusting story I ever read, b/c it was created with no other thought in mind than to give birth to a story that represents violence for the sake satisfying bloodlust and nothing else. IOW, sadistic people are the only ones who will truly enjoy this story.
    I have no idea why they wrote it, and I expect no answer will be given in the matter.

    Why do people lust for senseless violence in their quest for literary and televised entertainment, but if they meet someone who's suffered a real as opposed to imagined act of violence, then they run 5,000 miles away from that person never to set eyes on or speak to the person ever again?

    WTF is that? A perfect example of the quote "When it happens in real life it's called a tragedy, when it happens on television and in books it's called entertainment?"

    I'd bet money this won't even be posted, but the question will remain whether it makes an appearance here or not. And the answer, I'd gather, will not be forthcoming in my lifetime.

    I can handle violence that has a purpose, no matter how dark. But I draw the line at violence for the sake of violence. I simply can't handle it and have no comprehension how other people can accept all this televised and novelized destruction but turn around and shun people who have had violent acts visited on their persons.
    ...oughta get yourself a relaxed fit pair of boxers-coz yers are cinched up WAY to tight!...and you've gotta be kidding "violence with a purpose"?...short of prison executions or hunting and fishing, some professional sports etc.-I don't see much in the way of "acceptable" violence...and remember pard, nobody twisted your arm to read the damn thing-obviously you don't know much about EITHER author, since your were expecting what?-the Hillbilly Bears meet the Care Bears?...get real and get over it...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. if you lived on little tall island..
    By sena in forum Storm of the Century
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: March 12th, 2013, 10:21 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •