This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies, please don't ignore this

Default Re: Ladies, please don't ignore this

(((((((Todash and family))))))) Lots of prayers and good thoughts coming your way from me too. And thanks for reminding me to do my monthly ritual.

No real news yet, but my husband talked to them, and after some suggestions for OTC painkillers, she is feeling better. They had a back X-ray this morning as they are concerned she hurt herself when she fell. I think probably it's metastasized to the spinal column (usual order of metastasis: bone, liver, lungs, brain) but am hoping that that's the extent of it. I doubt it, but ... I'm hoping.

I know I'm way early because of the new (2009) recommendations, but I am going to go ahead and schedule my first mammogram. I don't ever want my husband to suffer the way I'm seeing my brother suffer.

And thank you all again for your support. You are good people.

I am so sorry to hear about this Todash. I send your whole family energy and vibes and prayers for good health. You all must take care of yourselves now. More so than ever before. When someone in a family gets cancer, the whole family is fighting cancer and you all will need every ounce of strength you have.

So many hugs.

Yesterday morning they went into the (military) clinic for an X-ray of Marcia's back because of the increasing pain and trouble walking. On their way home, they got a call saying the doctor wanted to give her a script for pain meds but had no other recommendation beyond seeing the surgeon the next day. My brother decided to go to the ER of a civilian hospital even though the military doctor told him they wouldn't do anything for her.

Well, they did. She got a CT and a full body MRI. And they found, as expected, that the cancer has metastasized to her spine. But they didn't find any in her liver, lungs, or brain. (The trouble walking could have been caused by metastasis to either the spine or the brain, and because of the blood-brain barrier, once it is in the brain there is very little they can do.) Because pressure on the spine can cause permanent nerve damage if not quickly relieved, they removed a tumor that was pressing on her spine to save her ability to walk. This morning, she can roll over, and she can feel her feet. Later today they will complete her assessment and figure out a treatment plan.

I know that this isn't over. I know nothing is certain. I know she has a hard, long slog ahead of her. But I'm SO relieved. I feel like I could fly. Life feels so very sweet and precious right now.

Was listening to a show on NPR yesterday with a doctor from the American Cancer Society who was saying how important it is for people to be getting not just medical care, but the right kind of medical care and that the patient is an important part of what should be a team approach. Sounds like your brother is doing just that for your SIL. Good for him (and your SIL)! Sending prayers there will be more positive news for them.

Positives- thankful for the guidance to go to the ER. As Ms Mod stated- getting the right kind of medical care is so essential. Thankfully, your family appears to be on the right path. Remember always- positives and that the mind and body work together. May this team of doctors help your SIL. Prayers.

Man, do I have a hard time reading these threads.

They scare the crap out of me, which I guess is a good thing.

I'm wishing ALL the very best, please!!

...as always, if there's anything I can do in my "official" capacity as a Nurse...please let me know...

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...as always, if there's anything I can do in my "official" capacity as a Nurse...please let me know...
    Thanks! You know, I was just talking to my husband about that. He is a nurse, and I have a sister who is a nurse, and also two sisters-in-law who are nurses. I can't imagine dealing with something like this without having a medical person of some kind in the family. I love, love, love nurses. (And teachers.)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast