Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Question on Carrie text in books - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question on Carrie text in books

Default Re: Question on Carrie text in books

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    I'd have to go to his house to find the first edition as we don't have one here in the office but all three of the other editions we do have all say Westover or Lewiston and bath is omitted after whirlpool. I realize that doesn't explain why, but it does show the changes have been there through several printings.
    Hey, Ms Mod! Don't trouble youself - I will go over to his house for you. He probably keeps the editions in the kitchen!

Just checked my 1st printing UK paperback and they used 'Andover or Boxford' and put 'bath' after whirlpool. I can understand replacing 'trunk of a car' with 'boot of a car' but why change names of people/places?

Quote Originally Posted by kingricefan View Post
    Just checked my 1st printing UK paperback and they used 'Andover or Boxford' and put 'bath' after whirlpool. I can understand replacing 'trunk of a car' with 'boot of a car' but why change names of people/places?
    Very strange. I've only checked the first 30 pages or so of Carrie and there is also things like when Desjardin and Mr Morton are in the office talking about the girls involved in the shower incident thing and in the american version the names are Donna Thibodeau and her sister Mary Lila Grace, etc.... and in the UK version it is Donna Thibeodeau and her sister Fern, Lila Grace (with a comma after Fern). Also on the same page it says in the US version 'he glowered at them happily', and in the UK version its 'he glared at them happily.

In future i think i'll buy US editions rather than UK in the future.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12