Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Politics is ruining my family - Page 3

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics is ruining my family

Default Re: Politics is ruining my family

Awe Shasta, I feel for you, but you know, I don't think our parents opinions are getting stronger as they get older, I think as we get older our parents start to see us as actual people with opinions that they can carry on a conversation with. What they don't realize that as their sons or daughters ect we have bigger feelings that can be hurt easier than when they are shooting the sh!t with their friends.

I really don't think there is any excuse to be rude though and your dad may just need some time but he will come back to you.

Some of the issues involve trade and the pipeline...things like that. Your dad is probably not mad at you but at the election results. Your vote won and it has choked him a bit. Life is so precious and it is not worth it to let things like this become so very important...your dad will realize that.

I do not take politics all that seriously. Politicians are a different breed from the rest of us. I think voting for them just encourages the buggers....lol....just joking.

Sometimes I wonder why people insist that their opinions are the only ones that have merit. I think what a waste of energy it is to always want to be right. There is really no right or wrong way to vote. We just give our two cents and thank God we can.

I do not think that being a president is an easy job. I wish Obama that best. Americans should be proud of the accomplishments of their Nation...it is a great place.

...much love Shasta...much love...and I understand I'm a bit thick-skulled(which is like saying Mt. Rushmore is a sorta large sculpture), but I learned early on to avoid religion and politics with the family, and just argue about sensible things-like who was gonna clean up after the dog and that beef roast tasted a little "off"....

Shasta, Many hugs to you. Perhaps your father will come to his senses once he cools down. ( maybe, even realize how much he hurt your feelings) (((Shasta)))

Just hang in there, remember we all have our own opinions on things. We handle things in different ways. We must set those things aside and be family. As we are family here on the board. Best of luck and will diffentily be thinking of you and your father. ((Shasta and Dads relationship)) pull together.

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Hmm, now don't get me wrong, I've seen this happen too many times to count, and I truly understand how awful it can be for a family, the whole family, not just the 'participants'.
    What I don't really get is, why it happens?
    See while my family has it's problems (oh boy & gee whiz), political head bangin', it ain't one of 'em.
    Oh we bang heads alright alright, holy smokes do we ever bang heads, butt it ain't really much of a problem.
    In fact, I honestly and truly think it's one of the real things that actually helps keep us bunch o' knuckleheads kinda together, keeps us, at least a bunch of us, lookin' forward to the next holiday gathering, justa visit, or what & wherever two or more of us have the opportunity to bash a blind ignorant fool completely devoid of any semblance of common sense and probably switched at birth, into a quivering pile of thoroughly chastised whimpering submission, '...and could you pass them taters please, oh my them's deeeelicious, did you use real butter & cream? Now where was I, oh yeah, since I know English is your first & only language, I gotta wonder, exactly when was it you got so god damn freakin' stupid?!?!.
    Safety First! >>>------->..now that there's always a right smart motto to bring to our festive Thanksgiving table, okay, any table, and now don't you go forgettin' your appetite, we've always got plenty.

Freemansburg PA, sort of near Philadelphia

That's how my family is for the most part, too, but there's always exceptions. That one thing that you never bring up or say. In my family we don't talk about religion because of my sister who is a witness, but politics is open season (despite are varied perspectives).

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by Vose View Post
    In my family we don't talk about religion because of my sister who is a witness
    Oh my!...um, you might probably don't wanna invite my crew over..yeah yeah okay, so maybe just me.

i've always thought we find ourselves in these predicaments because we, as individuals, often feel the need to be 'right'...or 'in charge'...
    and anything that doesn't fit into the slim paradigm of our own meager thoughts, often shifts us into an 'alpha dog' moment: i'm right...everyone else is wrong...get in line now, or else

we box ourselves, brick by brick, like some demented roger waters character, right into that corner every time

once there, we then feel the need for redemption at how smart we are..and when we don't get that, we react/overreact....

we'd all be so much better off if we just realized that the best we can do is offer up a way of thinking, a belief, a political philosophy that is uniquely our own, just for the one

live that life and hope to god that those around us look and say 'how is that you've found peace'...

then answer carefully, because the way one says things influences, one way or the other, the one you are talking to

this is not a game: there is no score to be kept, no trophy to be won...we should not be in this to win over (or worse, bludgeon into submission) ourselves a few disciples to a cause; we should be in it to do good...

and let own brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers,sons, daughters, friends, neighbors...or just acquaintences live thier own life, fully...with our love and support as the base, rather than the individual philosophies we've decided are most important

are we really only all about making people walk in goosestep with what we think is correct, did we ever really care about each other as a people...or just as objects to be filled with our own magnificence....

i love diversity...the fact that we all have our own likes, dislikes...hopefully always will...i love the idea that, except for the odd tiff here or there, we can can just get along fine because we care about each other...not what we think, what we wear, who we live with...

oh, i don't know....i sincerely hope you find a peaceable path with your father soon, shasta: it's clear having that relationship is very important to you...one can only fervently hope that, soon, your father will understand that, too

Hang in there. Lots of people are upset right now. It will calm down; you'll see.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast