Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Hobbit Animal Deaths - Page 3

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 56

Thread: Hobbit Animal Deaths

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    3,847

    Default Re: Hobbit Animal Deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    Killing an animal for their skin is murder.....

    But thanks for the back up!!!
    That is actually a tough one for me. What's worse overall, killing an animal for its fur? Or dressing ourselves in warm plastic derivatives, which seems to be slowly killing the planet, including the animals? I truly don't know. So far I've chosen the latter--that is, I have never purchased anything made from the pelt of an animal killed only for that reason--but I'm not 100% sure I've made the best choice, only that I've made the choice that bothers my conscience the least. (I have to be honest, though; if an animal skin is the only thing standing between me and frozen death, I will be as humane as possible and waste as little as possible, but I'm going to choose my life over the animal's. I would feel bad about it ... but I would do it.)

    I don't think animals are the equals of people. If they were, then we wouldn't really be any more responsible for them than they are for us. However anyone thinks we got here, to me it seems pretty clear that humans are, for better or worse, by default charged with the keeping of all the other animals while at the same time taking care of ourselves as a species. It's not always as cut-and-dry as it seems. For example, around here, lots of people go deer hunting every year. (You have to buy a tag for each deer you want to kill.) As a kid that seemed mean to me. As an adult I see what happens to deer when they are driven closer to human civilization and stressed by lack of food. Around here, other than perhaps the occasional fawn killed by a coyote, deer mostly don't have predators other than human. If their numbers are not kept in check, they will start dying from lack of food and diseases that attack stressed animals. (It's not hypothetical; it really does happen. The drought this year and the snows the few years prior were pretty tough on the area's deer population.) That seems much worse to me than a quick shot to the heart (where most hunters aim).

    Humans are the only apex predators with an apparent conscience. This complicates things. Sigh.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,593

    Default Re: Hobbit Animal Deaths

    Todash go with the barbour sweater,wool blend,pricey but super warm,I have the one pictured and really don't need a jacket during winter except for really super cold days..and blocks the wind..no animals harmed either!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    On the beach in crazy LA!
    Posts
    3,677

    Default Re: Hobbit Animal Deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    That is actually a tough one for me. What's worse overall, killing an animal for its fur? Or dressing ourselves in warm plastic derivatives, which seems to be slowly killing the planet, including the animals? .
    There is a medium - like humanely gathering natural animal materials or using sustainable products.

    And, the meat industry is one of the biggest killers to the planet.

    But what it really comes down to is that I like humans a whole lot less than I like animals (present company excluded) and I think wearing people skin would help reduce the very ridiculous population.

    And I also have to clarify that I 100% back up hunters. If you can look something in the eye and kill it then skin it, go for it. I cannot do that. What I really hate is the people who don't make the connection, buy meat in pretty little packages, and then say things like, "I don't want to think about it! If I do I'll never eat meat again!" Those people drive me absolutely insane.

    (And I am not aiming to offend anyone here. This is only my opinion and if you don't agree that is 100% okay. I have plenty of people I love in my life that don't see eye-to-eye with how I feel. And I am certainly not aiming to convert anyone either. I hope you all live your lives in the way that is best for you.)

    I also have to confess that I ran over my first animal this weekend - a squirrel - and I absolutely cannot stop feeling bad about it. I think this is a sure sign that I can't eat meat!!!

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    3,847

    Default Re: Hobbit Animal Deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    I also have to confess that I ran over my first animal this weekend - a squirrel - and I absolutely cannot stop feeling bad about it. I think this is a sure sign that I can't eat meat!!!
    I eat meat ... but I still remember the one and only animal I ever killed with my car. I was about 18, driving my big ol' boat on the highway, and a big bird (probably a crow) got caught in a downdraft or something and flew into the spot where my windshield and hood met. I'm sure it broke its neck instantly. I cried. Poor thing. At least it was fast.

    I don't want to hunt, but I have no problem with people who do. (Except I don't trust people who hunt purely for sport. Not that there's not an *element* of sport in hunting ... but to just kill something for the purpose of the hunt? I can't trust a person who would do that.)

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    On the beach in crazy LA!
    Posts
    3,677

    Default Re: Hobbit Animal Deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    I eat meat ... but I still remember the one and only animal I ever killed with my car. I was about 18, driving my big ol' boat on the highway, and a big bird (probably a crow) got caught in a downdraft or something and flew into the spot where my windshield and hood met. I'm sure it broke its neck instantly. I cried. Poor thing. At least it was fast.

    I don't want to hunt, but I have no problem with people who do. (Except I don't trust people who hunt purely for sport. Not that there's not an *element* of sport in hunting ... but to just kill something for the purpose of the hunt? I can't trust a person who would do that.)
    Ug. Roadkill is a horrible, horrible thing. Thank god I was in a rental car, which I dubbed the "murder wagon" and my friends renamed "the involuntary manslaughter wagon" because if I had been in my car I may have had to sell it! Of course, if I was in my car it wouldn't have happened because the brakes actually work. I also tried to convince myself it had squirrel cancer and was in a lot of pain.

    Yeah, people who hunt for sport = bad, bad people. (Sorry if you hunt for sport.)

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    3,847

    Default Re: Hobbit Animal Deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    But what it really comes down to is that I like humans a whole lot less than I like animals (present company excluded) and I think wearing people skin would help reduce the very ridiculous population.
    I suggest googling Ed Gein if this really appeals to you. He did all kinds of crafty applications with human skin.

    I know. I'm so wrong.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default Re: Hobbit Animal Deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    I suggest googling Ed Gein if this really appeals to you. He did all kinds of crafty applications with human skin.

    I know. I'm so wrong.
    I find Ed Gein fascinating, yet horrific. After all, he was the inspiration behind many fictional psychopaths in books and movies.

    Also, I hate roadkill. Everytime I see it, no matter how small, I can't help but and want to cry.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    3,847

    Default Re: Hobbit Animal Deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    Yeah, people who hunt for sport = bad, bad people. (Sorry if you hunt for sport.)
    Well, hey, I try not to antagonize people who kill things just to watch them die, but I admire your forthrightness.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    On the beach in crazy LA!
    Posts
    3,677

    Default Re: Hobbit Animal Deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    Well, hey, I try not to antagonize people who kill things just to watch them die, but I admire your forthrightness.
    I dare them to try anything......

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    215

    Default Re: Hobbit Animal Deaths

    I feel as though the really important issue here is being overlooked. How are they making THREE movies out of The Hobbit?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •