Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Can we show off our crafts? - Page 25

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we show off our crafts?

Default Re: Can we show off our crafts?

Quote Originally Posted by FlakeNoir View Post
    Your post made me smile (and blush) inwardly....
    You see, a few days ago I had to do something that I'd been putting off for a couple of weeks. My vegetable garden has mostly come to the end of its season--well, the tomato and courgette plants anyway. I has this one tomato plant that out-grew all of the rest, both in height and fruiting capabilities. It was a cherry tomato plant and man, did she give us a bumper crop.
    Well, as (some of) you may know, we had a pretty bad drought this year and I think that ended up taking a big toll, bringing about plant-demise a bit prematurely. So I had to, ah.... pull my last (barely) surviving sweetest tomato plant out by the roots and you know, I was talking to her (as I had all those long weeding and watering evenings) and I was apologising by the end of it all and instead of stuffing her into the wheelie bin, I took her out back by the river and placed (not threw!) her with the Christmas Trees Of Past.
    And I may have felt a tear.
    Now this my friends, this is why I can never be a farmer
    or work in a kill room
    or be a doctor
    or a vet
    or a soldier
    or a cop
    or a villain

Pathetic...
    awww I feel ya. To see them grow... awwww. To say as my mom told me (about meat) "That's why God put them on the earth" Still not past it. It's a wonder I even eat.

Gosh, Flake. That was a beautiful post.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaMarie View Post
    I did a bit of googling. Two sites listed varnish. Here's a link to one of the pages I found.

http://imageevent.com/leewismer/koipond
    Oooh, and I liked those paintings of the koi fish too! Might have to paint a fish on a rock or two! Thanks for the link--I'll paint a sample rock just for varnish and try it!

Quote Originally Posted by danie View Post
    I am using acrylic--some of it is craft paint from Wal-Mart, and some is the better kind you actually paint pictures with from Michael's.
    I've never had a problem with acrylic running with a clear coat over it (even the spray kind), but since you ARE having a problem, I'd recommend trying a coat of acrylic gloss medium (or matte medium, if you don't want the gloss) over the top of it. Mod-Podge should also work.
    Last edited by if-so-Grrl; April 21st, 2013 at 12:01 AM. Reason: can't freakin' spell...

danie, maybe you could experiment--but just make a 'test' rock and not put your heart and soul into what goes on it, so that if it doesn't work at first you won't have lost something that you can't get back?
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

danie, maybe you could experiment--but just make a 'test' rock and not put your heart and soul into what goes on it, so that if it doesn't work at first you won't have lost something that you can't get back?
    Flake~That's what I meant in my earlier post when I wrote "sample rock," but my meaning didn't come out clearly! I'll just slap some paint on a "test" rock (your term was much better), and try varnish and Mod-Podge and any other ideas you guys give me. I don't want to go through having to repaint a rock again, after having spent so much heart and soul on it, like you said!

More rocks!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mrswhite.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	17546

Name:	chandlerbaseball.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	17547

Name:	marinesymbol.jpg 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	17548

Name:	browngrayowls.jpg 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	17549

Make sure it's waterproof if the rocks are going outside. You don't want the sealant to wash away in the rain. Great work.
    "You've been here before, but things are about to change. I know it. I feel it. There's a storm on the way." -- Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by danie View Post
    Flake~That's what I meant in my earlier post when I wrote "sample rock," but my meaning didn't come out clearly! I'll just slap some paint on a "test" rock (your term was much better), and try varnish and Mod-Podge and any other ideas you guys give me. I don't want to go through having to repaint a rock again, after having spent so much heart and soul on it, like you said!
    Doh! No that's my fault my memories have breached the walls! (Only they're trying to get out, rather than in.) Sorry, danie--I must have forgotten that post.

I love the wee owls in your latest photo's.
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

Pathetic...
    I don't think it's pathetic at all. I have a hard time weeding because those little buggers fought so hard to grow.....

And Tim D. and I had a very long conversation recently about how sad old Christmas trees make me.

But I still think I could be a villain...... (Animals and trees are innocent. People, not so much.)

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast