This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 286

Thread: Can we show off our crafts?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    On the beach in crazy LA!
    Posts
    3,677

    Default Re: Can we show off our crafts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    I'm totally doing the Sharpie bake thing with mustache stencils on coffee cups for my niece. (LOL ... Hard to explain; I'll post a pic when it's done.) She's into the mustache thing.
    Can you please explain that to me? I've had many people ask me (apparently I appear to be hip - I'm not) and I do not get it.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Thornfield
    Posts
    3,472

    Default Re: Can we show off our crafts?

    I made this from a gourd and all sorts of things. If you look at it, it sort of looks like the Salt Sucker from Star Trek. hahaha.



  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Yet to be discovered
    Posts
    1,571

    Default Re: Can we show off our crafts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    What, no picture?
    Attachment 16469

    That's the only one I have right now. Kind of a cluttered pic, with an improper glass. Oh well...

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    3,847

    Default Re: Can we show off our crafts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    Can you please explain that to me? I've had many people ask me (apparently I appear to be hip - I'm not) and I do not get it.
    Sigh ... well, after doing a little research, I am *not* going to do the Sharpie thing, but I will explain it. Essentially, there's a pin out there that says that if you write on a ceramic mug (or whatever) with Sharpie, then bake it at X temp for X time, it becomes permanent. So it turns out that that is only true for certain items--probably ones with less glazing--which makes total sense (I was a bit skeptical in the first place, which is why I did some digging rather than jump right in). Apparently it will wash right off of some items and stick to others. So I'll probably use a paint pen or ceramic craft paint designed for such an application, though I may experiment with the Sharpie thing on something that is not a gift.

    As to the details of what I'm doing, most of the Sharpie/ceramic projects I've seen use them for writing, but that is not my plan. What I will do is buy four plain white ceramic mugs, create four different mustache stencils, and stencil mustaches at the rim of each cup so that when she is drinking from them, it will look like she has a 'stache. I'm thinking trucker 'stache, waxed handlebar with curled ends, classic chevron (Magnum PI), and ... I don't know. Not a pornstache. Maybe a Fu Manchu with a soul patch? I'm taking suggestions.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    3,847

    Default Re: Can we show off our crafts?

    Quote Originally Posted by nate_watkins View Post
    Attachment 16469

    That's the only one I have right now. Kind of a cluttered pic, with an improper glass. Oh well...
    The Coke glass is the proper container for every cold beverage. Don't have a pilsner? No worries, use a Coke glass. Beer mugs all dirty? No problemo; Coke glass to the rescue. Too much party, not enough pint glasses? Well, that's what a Coke glass is for.

    That's very cool, for real! One of these days I'm going to make my own root beer from scratch. It's on my list.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Thornfield
    Posts
    3,472

    Default Re: Can we show off our crafts?

    No porn stache? What's she supposed to drink from when the pizza delivery guy shows up?

    There is a pretty cool site called Pinstrosity where they try out the pins and see if they work out.

    http://pinstrosity.blogspot.com/

    Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    Sigh ... well, after doing a little research, I am *not* going to do the Sharpie thing, but I will explain it. Essentially, there's a pin out there that says that if you write on a ceramic mug (or whatever) with Sharpie, then bake it at X temp for X time, it becomes permanent. So it turns out that that is only true for certain items--probably ones with less glazing--which makes total sense (I was a bit skeptical in the first place, which is why I did some digging rather than jump right in). Apparently it will wash right off of some items and stick to others. So I'll probably use a paint pen or ceramic craft paint designed for such an application, though I may experiment with the Sharpie thing on something that is not a gift.

    As to the details of what I'm doing, most of the Sharpie/ceramic projects I've seen use them for writing, but that is not my plan. What I will do is buy four plain white ceramic mugs, create four different mustache stencils, and stencil mustaches at the rim of each cup so that when she is drinking from them, it will look like she has a 'stache. I'm thinking trucker 'stache, waxed handlebar with curled ends, classic chevron (Magnum PI), and ... I don't know. Not a pornstache. Maybe a Fu Manchu with a soul patch? I'm taking suggestions.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Thornfield
    Posts
    3,472

    Default Re: Can we show off our crafts?

    I made a ball-jointed Weeping Angel. I sculpted the body parts from paper clay. I used paints and stone spray, I made the dress and painted and sprayed it.

    http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps103fdb36.jpg


  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    On the beach in crazy LA!
    Posts
    3,677

    Default Re: Can we show off our crafts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    Sigh ... well, after doing a little research, I am *not* going to do the Sharpie thing, but I will explain it. Essentially, there's a pin out there that says that if you write on a ceramic mug (or whatever) with Sharpie, then bake it at X temp for X time, it becomes permanent. So it turns out that that is only true for certain items--probably ones with less glazing--which makes total sense (I was a bit skeptical in the first place, which is why I did some digging rather than jump right in). Apparently it will wash right off of some items and stick to others. So I'll probably use a paint pen or ceramic craft paint designed for such an application, though I may experiment with the Sharpie thing on something that is not a gift.

    As to the details of what I'm doing, most of the Sharpie/ceramic projects I've seen use them for writing, but that is not my plan. What I will do is buy four plain white ceramic mugs, create four different mustache stencils, and stencil mustaches at the rim of each cup so that when she is drinking from them, it will look like she has a 'stache. I'm thinking trucker 'stache, waxed handlebar with curled ends, classic chevron (Magnum PI), and ... I don't know. Not a pornstache. Maybe a Fu Manchu with a soul patch? I'm taking suggestions.
    I meant explain the mustache thing!!! Oops. But I appreciate you typing all that.

    Options for you:

    http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-1098...-whiskers.html

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Thornfield
    Posts
    3,472

    Default Re: Can we show off our crafts?

    Todash, I love those sugar bowl tags you made. Those are very pretty.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    936

    Default Re: Can we show off our crafts?

    I meant explain the mustache thing!!! Oops. But I appreciate you typing all that.
    Movember? The month previously known as November. Men grow a Mo (moustache) to raise awareness and money for men's health issues (specifically prostate cancer and mental health issues). A lot of girls are getting in on the action too, adding a Mo to their profile pictures on Facebook, and even wearing stick-on Mo's.

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •