Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Can we show off our crafts? - Page 9

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we show off our crafts?

Default Re: Can we show off our crafts?

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    My mom crochets, but I really want to learn to knit. (I like the end results better.) I find the thought a little intimidating, though.
    That's why I prefer it over crocheting plus I think there's a lot more you can do as for variety in the stitches than with crocheting. It takes a little practice to learn to keep consistent tension but if you start with something like a scarf so that it's fairly narrow and works up quickly, it's a good way to practice that. Would also suggest using slightly bigger needles at first, something above a size 5 and a worsted weight yarn. Just easier to start out with and less expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    That is my issue--there are very few crafts I haven't enjoyed doing. I do or have done knitting, crocheting (prefer knitting), sewing, stained glass, locker hooking, ceramics, a little needlepoint, jewelry, traditional rug hooking, weaving (rigid heddle loom only so far), gourd decorating, concrete, carpentry projects. Seems like there's more but that's what immediately comes to mind.
    Ever tried drawing or painting, Mod?

When my mom was alive she belong to a senior crafting club. Through the years I learned so many craft. Never did get to knitting Crocheted, needlepoint, worked with plastic canvas, beading, hook rugs, quilling, paper-folding, and a little ceramics. Beading is no longer an option, fingers just not what they used to be.
    The enjoyment is making and then gifting.

That's why I prefer it over crocheting plus I think there's a lot more you can do as for variety in the stitches than with crocheting. It takes a little practice to learn to keep consistent tension but if you start with something like a scarf so that it's fairly narrow and works up quickly, it's a good way to practice that. Would also suggest using slightly bigger needles at first, something above a size 5 and a worsted weight yarn. Just easier to start out with and less expensive.
    I know. I've gone yarn shopping with my mom. All the wonderful stuff is so spendy! Have you seen the awesome hand-died natural yarn on Etsy? It's amazing! Thanks for the advice, though. I will remember it. Well ... I'll come back to this thread after thinking "Now what did she say ...?".

Quote Originally Posted by blunthead View Post
    Ever tried drawing or painting, Mod?
    I have but it's not something I have a talent for so gave up early on. Unless you count sponge painting--I've been fairly successful with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Spideyman View Post
    When my mom was alive she belong to a senior crafting club. Through the years I learned so many craft. Never did get to knitting Crocheted, needlepoint, worked with plastic canvas, beading, hook rugs, quilling, paper-folding, and a little ceramics. Beading is no longer an option, fingers just not what they used to be.
    The enjoyment is making and then gifting.
    Oh, it totally is! I love that look in someone's eyes when you know you've really hit that sweet spot and given a gift that's truly loved.

I know. I've gone yarn shopping with my mom. All the wonderful stuff is so spendy! Have you seen the awesome hand-died natural yarn on Etsy? It's amazing! Thanks for the advice, though. I will remember it. Well ... I'll come back to this thread after thinking "Now what did she say ...?".
    Oh, please don't be tempting me with that--I've been knitting up a storm this fall and that would be like crack to an addict. There's a woman who has a yarn shop less than a mile from my house who sells high-end yarns that I have to drive by every work day and it takes all my force of will to not be a frequent shopper especially this time of year.

My mom crochets, but I really want to learn to knit. (I like the end results better.) I find the thought a little intimidating, though.
    Don't be intimidated! I knit and it takes practice but you can totally do it. This is something I just learned how to recently as well. I have complete faith in you!

I have but it's not something I have a talent for so gave up early on. Unless you count sponge painting--I've been fairly successful with that.
    Do you mean painting pictures of sponges or painting faces on them?

You might also try using a circular needle instead of the traditional two, Todash. You can still knit back/forth with them, you just don't join the ends to form the circle, and it's a little less unwieldy than trying to manipulate the separate needles especially first starting out with learning how.

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast