Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Most Boys in Blue are Good - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Boys in Blue are Good

Default Re: Most Boys in Blue are Good

I agree that most cops are good. I live three doors down from a police station and after being here 10 years I gotta say most seem pretty decent. I also worked for the Military Police in Edmonton as their clerk and that was a bit of different subculture as well. We had something similar here recently where a bus driver gave his shoes to a homeless guy so it's nice to see, especially when it's cold and blustery out. Oh well - guess I will admit it - I live in Winnipeg! Oy vey - everybody makes jokes about Winnipeg but I like it here!

...he does his profession proud-but most of all, he defines what is good, right and decent in humanity...

Makes me think of multiple things. I'm glad the officer was caught in a random act of kindness, and that the public reaction was so positive and hopefull. On the closer to home front, my brother is a state trooper, and I know what type of person he is, and what type of morals and ethics he brings to his current job, and how he felt about serving our country in the Marines before being a trooper.
    This also makes me think of those in our society that cannot wholly take care of theirself. My church rotates nights feeding the homeless with other churches in town of 30k. I have tried to show up before to help, but they always seem to have an over abundance of help. This Thanksgiving I was determined to stay regardless, not just to help, but also to people watch, because this group of people often gets tossed about in politics and the media, with multiple descriptions, so I wanted to see them for myself, and help if I could. Many are those that could not mentally or physically take care of themself. Several ederly showed up, but in failing health, using crutches and walkers. There were probably 2 or 3 families among the approximate 150 guests (considered a light night). I heard questions before on whether or not the group is mostly drug addicts or scam artists out for a free meal, and there may have been a couple of the among the group, but for the most part, these were people needing help, and I am glad my church adopted this program a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    What a great story! I think ... I think sometimes the thing with cops are that most people join out of a desire to serve, but also some people join because of the power. That's just people, you know? We're not all awesome human beings. Most of us have probably met a police officer on a power trip. And even the ones who really start out with that desire to serve, since they are only human, dealing with the criminal mindset day after day after day, it must wear on them. And it's probably hard to really internalize, for some of them, that the people they encounter every single day really only comprise a small, unfortunate slice of humanity. I think some of them get jaded and take shortcuts. They are doing a tough job, one that I wouldn't want to do. Most are good people, like this guy. Like the ones making sure LadyPain is safe from her crazy ex.

I do think they have to be held to a higher standard. They legally wield the power of life and death. Abuses should be brought to light. But ... so should stuff like this. For that department, I think it does matter that he is a police officer.
    That about says it Todash..a quick story,when I was younger,I got sent to a call of an elderly lady in an senior citizen complex who did not have anything to eat for Christmas dinner.I went and talked to her for a few minutes,then went to a nearby convenience store and bought some food,brought it back for her and went to put it away for her in the fridge..found she had lots of food,but I pretended not to notice.You see,she was lonely,and just needed someone to talk to her,like she was a human being,and treat her like she was still alive and part of society..stayed for a little while and then left.I did not and will not forget the grateful look in her eyes..It is easy to become jaded after you deal with negativity alot of the time,and forget why you went the route of law enforcement in the first place,which is to help people..People,especially the elderly and the young, do look up to you for help and as a symbol of order,and their safety and security..I try not to forget that..happy holidays..

Quote Originally Posted by Vose View Post
    I'm not sure I see what him being a police officer has to do with the story. I think that I'd rather think of him as a representative of the good that lives in all humanity - to me it's more heartwarming that way.
    Well ... cops get a lot of bad press. (As they should, in my opinion, if it's deserved; if you don't want "the time"--your uniformed self out on YouTube shown abusing your power plus the subsequent punishment by your department--then don't do "the crime.") It seems reasonable to me to show the other side of the story too.

It is good to see the positive side. So often we see only the negative.
    Many good points about the elderly who just need company, the young who need guidance, and those who need protection from crazy people.
    I think we often forget how much we do have in our lives. Especially during the holiday season when all the ads are to buy, buy, buy and often we forget to give too. Really nice to see this act of kindness being recognized.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ver-shoes.html

It gets pretty cold here too. We have many First Nations people as well who come to the city from the outlying Reserves. Maybe seeing these people out on the street all the time prompted the bus driver to give up his own shoes.

The next time I see someone who looks down on his/her luck I will think about what I can do to help them rather than just feeling sad and looking elsewhere.

The Salvation Army has a homeless shelter downtown and without that many people would die of exposure

Thanks for posting this Dana, such a heartwarming story. Sometimes we all need a gentle reminder that an act of kindness--no matter how small--can go a long way.

Staro; the tobacco fund was a great idea. Yes smoking is "bad" but if that's one way they can derive even a little pleasure/normality then I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neesy View Post
    The next time I see someone who looks down on his/her luck I will think about what I can do to help them rather than just feeling sad and looking elsewhere.
    What another wonderful story!

When I was little I would have my father, who worked in Los Angeles, take a portion of my allowance every week and give it to him to buy a bag of apples or oranges. He would keep them in his car and give them to people who were homeless or hungry.

Now that I'm older I have stopped doing this but I think I just might start again. This has been inspiring.

Here's a link to the story and an interview with Officer DePrimo on the Today show this morning. Not only is he kind and polite, he's HOT too!

http://todaynews.today.com/_news/201...the-money?lite

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast