Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Most Boys in Blue are Good - Page 5

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Most Boys in Blue are Good

Default Re: Most Boys in Blue are Good

It makes perfect sense to me.

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...just sayin' that he was apparently aware enough at the time to try to take advantage of a situation-I'm not sayin' all his bolts are snugged down tight-and never implied that in my OP....I simply am coming at this from the certainly jaundiced and jaded viewpoint of a worker bee in the juggernaut of State Corrections...meant you no offense old friend...
    Oh I can dig where your comin' from, ain't even a chicken wing bruda.
    But now here's the thing, anyone of "normal" rational thinking that might find themselves unfortunately thrust into the economic nightmare of homelessness & destitution, might do well to observe, maybe even hang out with, some of your more lunacy lackin' folks on the street.
    I'm totally & completely serious, if any group of folks show time & time again they instinctively know how to survive by taking advantage of any single scrap of anything that crosses their path, it's them.
    I'm thinkin' it might have some reason, at least in part, why some cultures have revered the 'mentally ill', hell some can go on and on past time the ol' Energizer Bunny pukes his mechanical heart out, they just make do, til they don't have to, make do, rinse/repeat-rinse/repeat, it's like, 'a thang', this mental case survival thing, if ya know what I'm sayin'
    Yet other cultures would rather ignore ('cause then it goes away silly...goes right to where you work, that is), and yet others, exterminate, and that's an extremely crazy thing, and oddly ironic ain't it?

Well spoken, Dana Jean. A good deed is never wasted; it can be reciprocated in all kinds of ways that we never even know about.

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    Oh come on!!! UG!

This why people in LA have the mentality that you shouldn't help homeless people.
    I used to make a lot of deliveries in Boston, and I've adopted a similar mentality.

....and the plot thickens...

The barefoot homeless man who received new boots from an NYPD police officer and became an online sensation isn’t actually homeless, according to a report by the New York Daily News.

The man, Jeffrey Hillman, has an apartment in the Bronx paid for through a combination of federal Section 8 rent vouchers and Social Security disability and veterans benefits, officials told the paper. Hillman has continued to panhandle on the streets, however, and reportedly has a history of refusing help from family and the government.

Quote Originally Posted by nate_watkins View Post
    I used to make a lot of deliveries in Boston, and I've adopted a similar mentality.
    It's unfortunate. I see it a lot.

I had one experience where I gave a homeless man a blanket I kept in my car on a really cold night. The next night he was out sleeping on the bench - no blanket.

Well, let me tell you I was really unhappy. But I took time to think about and realized maybe it was stolen or maybe he gave it to someone who needed it more. The truth is, I just don't know, but I think the knee-jerk reaction is to say, "SEE???"

I am mostly sad that the media couldn't have let this part of the story go unannounced so that people don't have fodder to feel this way. It was a great thing that officer did and now people will use it as an excuse not to help.

Someone earlier said (sorry, I forgot who - Spidey, maybe?) that what we may want to do is just do what we can to help and not worry about the outcome. I help because I can't not help. I have way, way too much empathy. It's only by pure luck that I haven't been made homeless in the past. If I choose to help it's because I want to. I can't stop or blame other people because of the choices they make, no matter how frustrating it is. But I do get why people feel this way.

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Jean View Post
    Yes, in reading all this, we definitely have to keep in mind that homeless can be homeless for a number of reasons, and depending upon this guy's mental stability and the kindness vs. the cruelty of his existence -- he's just trying to survive like the rest of us. How can I blame him for trying to get his 15 minutes of fame and some money to get him through another day by selling the shoes? Sad thought.

I do hope though, that his act doesn't keep good people from doing good. Next time, the officer (although obviously a good man to begin with) might just do his job and that's it. And I suppose that's okay too.

I guess it boils down to, do a good deed and walk away. Whatever the outcome, you did your part and how the recipient chooses to handle your good deed is now their business. You gave your act of kindness to the universe and it's not yours anymore.

Does any of this make sense?
    To infinity.

...homeless boy needs one of those size twelves used repeatedly on his backside for that type of "thankful spirit"...with my cynical eye, and due to where I work-here's my theory...the boots aren't "hidden" anywhere-he sold the damn things and now wants "payed" just coz somebody took his picture...if this is how he operated before his homelessness-I can understand how he ended up there...earthworms have more soul...seriously dude, if Jesus had walked by and blessed you-what?-you woulda wanted part of the royalties because you were included in a biblical teaching???...
    Gnt you mean like when Mel Brooks crashed the last supper and got in the painting behind Jesus? Ironically Mel did get royalties,from the movie..

....and the plot thickens...
    HA! I said the exact same thing.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast