Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Baby News for Great Britain - Page 5

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby News for Great Britain

Default Re: Baby News for Great Britain

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ally~ View Post
    Haven't listened to it and have no intention of doing so. I read they gave a half assed apology on air but have since continued to make fun of the incident. I wonder if they are still laughing now the nurse who took the phone call has killed herself?! ********s!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/dec/07/duchess-cambridge-hoax-call-nurse-found-dead
    I agree that the disk jockeys are ********s. By the way due to procrastination I never did get around to listening to the hoax and now I am kinda glad I didn't.

I don't know if they for sure found that the nurse who transferred the call (not the one who spilled information) had killed herself, just that she was found dead.

While I feel the hoax was in poor taste (I HATE HATE HATE fake phone calls. They aren't funny.), it did highlight a very serious flaw in the royal security.

If the nurse did end up killing herself (again, she was NOT the nurse who spilled the information), she was already very very depressed and probably already considering suicide. It is tragic, but not directly the fault of the DJs, as they couldn't have known.

I mean, they are *******s. But they aren't murderers.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicinchworm View Post
    I don't know if they for sure found that the nurse who transferred the call (not the one who spilled information) had killed herself, just that she was found dead.

While I feel the hoax was in poor taste (I HATE HATE HATE fake phone calls. They aren't funny.), it did highlight a very serious flaw in the royal security.

If the nurse did end up killing herself (again, she was NOT the nurse who spilled the information), she was already very very depressed and probably already considering suicide. It is tragic, but not directly the fault of the DJs, as they couldn't have known.

I mean, they are *******s. But they aren't murderers.
    Oh, it's not the same nurse? I thought it was. I see; she was manning the switchboard and put it through. I wonder if each nurse thought the other had done the "due diligence." (Typically in the US, if you call a hospital and ask for a specific room, the receptionist will verify that you know the name of the person in that room before even putting you through, and you have to be on a specific list to be given information about the patient. It's HIPAA stuff.)

And no, they're not murderers, and you can't predict every outcome of your actions, but I would think that unless they were completely stupid, they would have at least realized that the nurse who gave them the information, and possibly the nurse who took the call, could have very likely lost their jobs. I know they say they didn't expect to get through ... I'm sure that's probably true. So then knowing that they did, the appropriate action at that point would have been NOT to broadcast the call. They could have simply chosen to not expose a public figure's medical information to the world, but the temptation proved too great.

Not very nice, and possibly actionable.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicinchworm View Post
    According to reports she hung herself. Her husband has stated he is upset at the treatment she received from hospital management following the incident. Apparently she was a very quiet woman, and lacked confidence. Her family in India believe she will have felt a deep sense of shame at being duped and transferring the call. You are correct, she was not the one who gave the confidential information but if proper protocol had been followed for calls about Royal patients the pranksters would never have been transferred.

And I'm sorry but none of us have the right to state that she was already "very very depressed"...we can all conjecture but that does not make it fact. If what her family are saying is true about her beliefs and culture then feeling shame very well could be the only reason she took her life.

I also don't believe the DJ's are murderers, they could never have foreseen this happening but I am sick of people being deliberately cruel to others in the name of entertainment. Kate was ill in hospital, so a person would have to be exceptionally moronic to think it was acceptable to take advantage of a situation like that. I had hyperemesis gravidarum when I was pregnant, my pregnancy only lasted 19-weeks and it was awful. I couldn't eat or drink because I was constantly sick, I lost weight, had fainting spells and was very ill. It's not a condition to make fun of. I truly empathise with Kate, and am disgusted these people even contemplated hoaxing anybody in that situation.

It takes a certain personality to commit suicide. Typically it requires them to be very depressed or perhaps a deep sense of shame; I spoke in absolutes when I intended just a broad stroke. Obviously, I can't know what was going on in her head.

The DJs are terrible people. I hate sensationalized media, and I hate this celebrity mongering that is so popular. I completely agree that the DJs should have known better; they should take whatever punishment goes their way. Ultimately, they would have never done it, if it wasn't such a popular form of "entertainment".

But the people who are saying they "have blood on their hands" (this is not from this thread) are being ridiculous.

I work with a lot of Indian people, and perhaps this is stereotyping on my part, but they really really take their work personally. They are very afraid of failure in any way. They put much more pressure on themselves than any other group I have worked with.

Quote Originally Posted by fushingfeef View Post
    I work with a lot of Indian people, and perhaps this is stereotyping on my part, but they really really take their work personally. They are very afraid of failure in any way. They put much more pressure on themselves than any other group I have worked with.
    I have had similar experiences, although ... in my experience it's not so much the failure that they try to avoid as the appearance or exposure of failure or lack of skill. This is not to say that they are any more or less skilled in general than their US counterparts, just that--again, in my experience--it's very hard to get them to admit that they are in over their heads. As to the actual pressure they put on themselves to complete work effectively, that seems to vary widely from person to person. I have worked with offshore developers and testers, and while some are better than others, just as in the US, I think that avoiding that kind of exposure must be a cultural thing. After I came to realize that was the case, I made sure they understood that it was IMMINENTLY preferable that I know as soon as possible that they didn't understand something, that I was completely fine with explaining, however many different ways it took. Life did get a bit easier after that.

Quote Originally Posted by fushingfeef View Post
    Exactly, I've read she was a good nurse that took pride in her work. Being embarrassed/ashamed in front of people you know would be bad enough but unfortunately for this woman her "failure" to do her job correctly was then broadcast around the world.

...as a Broadcaster/Announcer, with some 30 plus years behind the mike, I will only say that I've always thought these "prank" calls were lame and ill-advised...but they are not killers-in no way could they have foretold that their idiotic attempt to be humorous and topical would lead to someone taking their life....they recused themselves, and have now lost their jobs...harsh punishment, but given the tragedy-not unexpected...

Atom - I couldn't agree more with what you are saying.

Todash - I almost agree with you but I think the DJ's were live. I think they probably would have feared for their jobs if they were on air and they were suddenly like, "Oops, we didn't actually think we'd get through, we were just joking!!" And then hung up. The lady who killed herself still would have put them through so it doesn't really matter.

Everyone - Am I the only one who doesn't think the DJ's were in the wrong? I'm sure all kinds of press was calling to find out how Kate was. Should we judge them less harshly if they are from NPR than from a radio shock show? I don't think so. I feel like they've had to suffer a whole lot for simply doing their job. They just happened to do it better than others and in a not so professional way. It wasn't their responsibility to screen their own calls.

People have to take responsibility for their own actions.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast