This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pit Bulls

Default Re: Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by fljoe0 View Post
    A big problem is that a lot of people want mean dogs (for reasons I can not understand) so there are a lot of bad ones out there. When I'm out walking with my dog and a dog charges me, I have no idea if that is a good dog or a bad one. It is very worrisome when I'm out walking. If you have ever owned a dog, you know that no matter what you do, that dog is occasionally get loose. So if you choose to have a mean dog and live in a regular residential neighborhood, you are taking a risk of hurting someone. I don't understand people that want dangerous dogs.

Almost every instance of a pit bull attack I've read about in my area involves a dog that is not licensed and has not had it's shots. The county takes the dog and the idiot owner just goes and gets another one. These dogs are disposable to these owners. I think that maybe making a criminal assault/battery charge against the owner when a dog harms someone might be needed.
    Agreed. And the stats really need a closer look. The only way to know for sure what the breed of a dog is is to have it genetically tested. I imagine that is done in less than five percent of attack cases, and probably that's a generous estimate. Again, the links I posted below will give you a reliable indicator as to how well you can identify a pit. And remember, that's under no stress. When a dog is charging you with teeth bared and growling, your brain is really more into deciding fight or flight and is not so much worried about identifying the breed. I posit that when anyone is attacked by a short-haired bully-looking breed, especially in the US, that person is very predisposed to thinking it is a pit bull. It's natural, given all the media coverage.

Instead of breed-specific legislation, we need idiot-specific legislation. Don't ban pits. Bar people with a history of owning aggressive dogs from getting any more dogs.

So sorry you went through this, but glad you are OK.

I got cornered by a well trained pet pit bull once. I knew the owners and yes, I am sure of the breed. I had been invited into the house and the dog was fine, but when the owner left the room, the dog decided I should have left too. When the owner came back into the room she realized the dog was getting ready to attack me. She could not physically stop him, and he wasn't listening to her. She picked up her newborn baby and plopped her in my arms, hoping this would show the dog that she trusted me. It worked. but I HAD to leave.

This dog was well trained, but he had made up his own mind. And that's where the problem comes in when you have a dog stronger then you.

This is an awful experience. Sadly I believe we hear all the bad pit bull stories. I believe bad owners are to blame for most aggressive dogs of all breeds. We need harsher penalties for people who abuse/misuse(not sure thats a word) animals. Not sure about the States but in Canada our laws are a joke when it comes to animal cruelty. All animals have the potential to attack and some people encourage that type of behaviour, often in breeds like pit bulls. I believe if you choose to have a pet it should be part of the family, not locked out in the yard in a cage all day..what's the point?? It makes me VERY sad when I see dogs alone out in the cold, I don't understand why we are allowed to do this.

I'm with Siggy on this.

There are no pit bulls out there, or their owners, who will ever convince me that the breed is not dangerous.

I refuse to be around them.

I just wanted to add something. I had a lab once when my children were little who was a nasty dog. Despite all of our attempts at training/love he was nasty and would snap and bite. In the end we had to put him down which was very sad. I have had pets my whole life so this disturbed me greatly,but it was an example of how some dogs are just mean, labs are supposed to be one of easiest breeds to have. Sometimes there is no explanation.

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

I've been growled & lunged at, bitten & mauled, by waayyy more peoples than any amount of pupperonis (birds & lizards too, many stories, perhaps another time), yet never a Pit Bull, but for some reason Poodles have this desperate need to puncture me...that's right, I said, 'Poodles', dammit!.. ...yeah I don't know what it is neither, but them poofy phroo phrooy Poodles, toy or standard ain't never seemed to make no never mind to 'em, seems not so much a real big fan of a certain, PatTheHat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary19 View Post
    I just wanted to add something. I had a lab once when my children were little who was a nasty dog. Despite all of our attempts at training/love he was nasty and would snap and bite. In the end we had to put him down which was very sad. I have had pets my whole life so this disturbed me greatly,but it was an example of how some dogs are just mean, labs are supposed to be one of easiest breeds to have. Sometimes there is no explanation.
    You might find this interesting: one of my nieces has worked with animals all her adult life (and sometimes before), with a focus on dogs. She said she has seen more aggression problems with labs than any other breed. She's not sure why but suspects it's because since they are so popular there are a lot of "backyard breeders" who do not breed for temperament and/or socialize their puppies properly, and then also of course owners who don't work with them as well. Of course plenty of people have labs who absolutely love them and never have a problem with them, but definitely when buying or adopting a pet, you want to look really closely at the individual dog and not go solely by breed.

My roommate had a cat once. She got her as a wee kitten, far too young (I would think) to be feral, and we were both always really kind to our cats and never let anyone abuse them. But this cat ... there was just something wrong with her. She was simply mean to people, though she seemed to get along with other cats just fine. My roommate ended up rehoming her with a friend who had a barn, and I gather she enjoyed her life as an antisocial barn cat. I suppose that just like with people, occasionally there can be an animal born who is a "wrong 'un," although most bad pet behavior is human-generated.

Quote Originally Posted by blunthead View Post
    I admit I don't trust Doberman's and Pit Bulls nor their mixes. I woudn't mind owning one, but I wouldn't choose to have one if I also had any other pets.
    Not sure about Dobermans, but yes, pit bulls can be animal aggressive. Certainly you would want one that was "tested," or young enough that it would be trainable. (Pits also really need a strong hand in training. Not abusive! But someone who is not afraid to be in charge.) Someday I will get a dog, and while it likely won't be a pit (because they are sweet but not the dog for me, and what if we had to move to an area where they're not allowed?), I will probably get a puppy for the first one at least so that the cats and it can be used to each other. For a second dog I would consider getting an adult with a good "other pet" history.

A friend of mine, who is a nurse, was in emerg when a twelve year old girl's body was brought in....she was killed by a pitbull. That sorta scared me for this breed of dog.

I always carry pepper spray in my pocket when I walk out. It is mostly because I am afraid of something like this happening.

I am so glad you and your friend escaped without injury, Sig. Sounds like a harrowing experience--my heart was beating hard as I read it!

My brother was attacked by a pit bull (he escaped but it tore a hole in his jacket) and my wife's nephew was not so lucky--the dog chewed off and ATE the skin on his wrist, and he lost a lot of blood and had to be flown in a helicopter to the hospital, where they had to graft skin from his thigh onto his wrist. This dog had been chained up in the front yard but the threaded link had worked its way loose as the dog pulled on it in his frenzy. Nonetheless, the owner was found negligent and had to pay damages and the dog was destroyed.

I love dogs but I am mistrustful around all breeds until I get to know them. They are animals and I have to find out if they have been properly socialized before I will interact with a strange dog. As a former paperboy who has been bitten by several different breeds, I have a built-in wariness of dogs until I get to know them. Ironically the ones that have bitten me the most have been the small breeds. But what makes pit bulls dangerous is their incredible jaw stength, they simply do not let go once they've decided they're going to hold you.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast