This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Pit Bulls

Default Re: Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by Neesy View Post
    Okay - so which one is actually a pit bull? I think the second one from the left is a boxer...
    The pit is the tan one in the harness with the blue lead attached. You know, that second one *does* look like a boxer, but it is actually an American Bulldog. (I think the boxer-like markings on this one are tricking you.) Note that these are images taken from breeders' websites and so should be good representations of their breeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    The pit is the tan one in the harness with the blue lead attached. You know, that second one *does* look like a boxer, but it is actually an American Bulldog. (I think the boxer-like markings on this one are tricking you.) Note that these are images taken from breeders' websites and so should be good representations of their breeds.

Well that little guy looks like he might lick your face but that's all. Of course he could just be tasting you first... ha ha just kiddin' This topic is like religion or politics - the kind of thing they told us not to discuss at a Mess Dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Neesy View Post
    Well that little guy looks like he might lick your face but that's all. Of course he could just be tasting you first... ha ha just kiddin' This topic is like religion or politics - the kind of thing they told us not to discuss at a Mess Dinner.
    Haha ... Kinda, except this really is a miseducation thing, a case where many, many people believe something that is demonstrably false. And although a lot of people hate BSL (Breed Specific Legislation) because of what it does to the dogs, another reason to dislike it is that it provides a false sense of security. If you are convinced that pits are dangerous and manage to get them outlawed in your city, you might feel safer. But really you're not any safer at all. I completely 100% agree with atomicinchworm that what we really need are consequences for people whose dogs hurt other people.

The person whose dogs attacked Siggy should not own dogs, especially if this kind of thing has ever happened before. And those dogs should be evaluated and probably put down if they cannot be rehabilitated. Sounds harsh, I know, but I've no tolerance for the kind of negligence and/or abuse that leads to dog attacks, and although it's a shame if the dogs cannot be rehabbed, it's not worth the risk for them to be allowed to continue as they are.

That is the biggest thing is there is a lot of incorrect information surrounding Breed Specific Legislation. BSL does create this sense of false security, but unfortunately the kind of people who have killer pit bulls can easily have a killer rott or German Shepard or husky. Or, as fashion demands, more of these rare breeds like Fila Brasiliero or Cane Corso or boerboel which were actually bred to be highly suspicious of strangers. These breeds aren't that rare anymore, partly I suspect because of breed specific legislation, and you can find quite a few of them in shelters. They have the same tough guy look as a pit, but are much much bigger. Is the answer to just keep banning dog breeds? I don't think so.

It creates, as Todash said, a false sense of security. It has been shown that BSL is not effective in stopping vicious dogs. It doesn't lower dog bites, and it doesn't stop maulings. It wastes tax payer money, and there are a lot of countries and municipalities that are over turning their BSL.

I think stopping people that foster aggressive animals is the answer. Strict dangerous dog laws are actually effective at reducing bites and maulings.

I get a little cray cray about the subject, because I have a genuine affection for pit bulls. Actually I like bully breeds in general. And all of this being said, they are not a breed for every one. It's kind of a shame that they have gotten to be so numerous.

LongTallSally Guest

I've been bitten by a Shih-Tzu, a Yorkshire Terrier and an Alaskan Malamute-X-Husky. I've been chased by Doberman Pinschers (2 together). I've helped rehab a pitbull a long time ago. I know pitbulls that are wonderful, sweet animals. I've known them. I've had my hand taken into its mouth by a strange pitbull I'd never met before, so I slid my hand out of its mouth and scratched its ears out there on the street. It was a goofy dog.

The problem is with the individual dogs and how their owners raise and handle them. The problem is not the breed. It's the little yappers that scare me because those puncture wounds from their teeth don't heal well.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345