Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Sandy Storm Victim-Lost all our books... - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sandy Storm Victim-Lost all our books...

Default Re: Sandy Storm Victim-Lost all our books...

Go on the Chapters Indigo website they have a used section and the prices are super reasonable.

A couple suggestions:

1. Library sales. Near me, these are at least a once-per-month occurrence, and the prices are super cheap. Less than a dollar for paperbacks and only $2-3 for hardbacks. And I ALWAYS see some SK books at these.

2. Amazon. Each title will have a link to where you can buy the books used. Lots of good deals to be had that way, and most of the dealers are reliable.

Good luck!

Amazon.com is a good source. They sell new and used books (and collections) and very reasonable rates. For instance: Carrie; Salems Lot; The Shining [Hardcover] for $16.99 used. Let your computer do the work for you. There are many good sources out there to replace your collection.

Dark Delicacies in Burbank, CA. Ask for Dave. He's great and they specialize in horror, not just Halloween stuff. I've bought many of my used Stephen King books there, as well as Peter Straub.....and if you're lucky, you might find a signed promotional post card tucked inside one of the books you buy! I witnessed this when Sundrop came to town and found a Peter Straub-signed card secreted inside a copy of Black House she bought.

May you have a happy holiday season despite the grief, hassle, and nightmare of Sandy......my heart goes out to you and yours.

darkdel.com
    1-888-darkdel

So sorry you had to go through all the storm problems and I too would be hurt if all my stuff was gone. Goodwill is a good place to start looking even though it doesn't have all the dark tower books but it does have some others like cell and from a buick 8. Really you should also go though your local papers and find some small independant bookstores to search in. I love doing that and finding good deal! I recently got desperation at a very low price.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Sawyer View Post
    Dark Delicacies in Burbank, CA. Ask for Dave. He's great and they specialize in horror, not just Halloween stuff. I've bought many of my used Stephen King books there, as well as Peter Straub.....and if you're lucky, you might find a signed promotional post card tucked inside one of the books you buy! I witnessed this when Sundrop came to town and found a Peter Straub-signed card secreted inside a copy of Black House she bought.

May you have a happy holiday season despite the grief, hassle, and nightmare of Sandy......my heart goes out to you and yours.

darkdel.com
    1-888-darkdel
    This was one of the many highlights of my trip. The book is a 1st edition, and like Lily said, there was a card signed by Peter Straub tucked inside the dust jacket. I paid $15 for the book.
    Also, I met the owner, Del Howison.....he's a really cool guy and very helpful. He has some awesome hair, too. Yes, I embarassed Lily by asking to touch the man's hair......it's a stylist thing, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by kingricefan View Post
    Hi! Even by putting the books in your basement you will still have to protect them from moisture. If a tornado rips off your roof (which I whole-heartedly hope and pray that never happens) there will be rain along with the wind. It's hard to know exactly what to do to insure our SK books don't get ruined by whatever comes along. Your best insurance is to have them insured. Talk to your insurance company and find out if they require an additional 'rider' for your books. I was with Farmers before and they did. The company I am with now does not, although I had to add another $20,000 in coverage. And, keep detailed records and photos of what you have.
    Thanks! That is very true. Really, though, we don't have much of value in that way. The main risk to me is sadness because of the loss of sentimental items (I know, I try to come off all hardcore, but really I'm a big softy). Unfortunately there is no insurance for that.

If I can get to the point where I can begin collecting the books I would like to collect, definitely I will make sure I have a specific rider for them if needed.

I still need shelves in the basement, though. We didn't even have a reading nook planned! WHAT WERE WE THINKING??

Todash, were there specific books you are looking for or just whatever you can get?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12