Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Seniors Decry Ban On Their Christmas Tree

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seniors Decry Ban On Their Christmas Tree

Default Seniors Decry Ban On Their Christmas Tree

Sometimes I just want to cry...............

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_221...omplex-newhall

Default Re: Seniors Decry Ban On Their Christmas Tree

I really, really wish I was rich. I would buy every one of them their own little tree and decorations.

This is sick.

Sometimes I want to cry along with you. It seems only the Christians are expected to hush up about our beliefs and our symbols. Christmas is a magical time when people can enjoy family and the giving that goes along with it. It is the same here in Canada. Our countries were founded on the Christian faith but now all of the traditions are considered wrong and offensive. I saw a commercial the other day talking about folks having a white "holiday". Bing Crosby must be spinning in his grave. How foolish are the politically correct.....we now have Holiday spheres instead of Easter eggs. I know the church took the pagan holidays and used them for ourselves but what the hay? I nice Christmas tree never hurt anyone. I am thinking of putting a creche on my front yard.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's just silly. It's not a government building, even. (And even then, notice the White House has a Christmas tree?)

I would say that as long as it's equal-opportunity (that is, Jewish residents feel free to display menorahs, etc.), which means no one is being discriminated *against*, then it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    That's just silly. It's not a government building, even. (And even then, notice the White House has a Christmas tree?)

I would say that as long as it's equal-opportunity (that is, Jewish residents feel free to display menorahs, etc.), which means no one is being discriminated *against*, then it should be fine.
    They made them take down the menorahs, too. This kind of crap just burns me up.

We are having this big problem in Santa Monica right now that reminds me of this.

Long story short, there have been nativity scenes in a park by the beach for 60 years. Some athiest group came in and freaked out and now they can't have them. They even created anit-religion scenes before getting the nativity scenecs banned.

I would like to say that I am 100% non-religious. 100%. Firm. But this infuriates me! A nativity scene in NOT going to make me suddenly religious but it is a tradition about Christmas that I love. I also don't believe in Santa but if he was banned I would hurt someone.

Why do we suddenly need to ban all traditions and cower away from religion? You CAN choose not to believe in something. A Christmas tree shouldn't make you feel forced to be Christian. A dredel shouldn't make you feel forced to be Jewish. A ridiculous anti-religion scene shouldn't force you to be athiest.

(And how come athiests don't see a difference between forcing religion and forcing atheism?)

I feel like all of this anti-religion stuff is impeding on my right to enjoy Christmas!!!

I actually find hyper atheists hilarious. I the same way I find super religious people hilarious. Their hypocrisy is so insane.

I'm an atheist in the sense that I probably don't believe in God. (Mostly, I just don't think it matters very much.)

But come on. Chirstmas trees/ menorahs/ religious symbols aren't hurting anybody. They aren't putting anybody down. They aren't spewing hate from their plastic fronds. And you aren't going to develop spontaneous Christianity because you saw them.

Hell, I put up a Christmas tree/ Festivus tree/ Winter Solstice tree because I like the holiday and think they are pretty.

I hate when people make themselves into victims. The angry atheists are the ones that give the rest of us godless heathens a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    (And how come athiests don't see a difference between forcing religion and forcing atheism?)

I feel like all of this anti-religion stuff is impeding on my right to enjoy Christmas!!!
    A park is kinda iffy because it's public property, so I can sort of see that ... but I think you could make a strong case for letting it stay, too. I was thinking about that judge that had a statue (I think) of the 10 commandments posted outside the courthouse, and thinking about how it feels different, and this is how.

1. The park is public but not related to any government function. (This is the big divider for me.)
    2. The display is a temporary thing.
    3. The presence of the nativity scene does not imply expected actions or behaviors on the part of anyone seeing it.
    4. No tax monies were used to set it up (I assume).
    5. Any other group wanting to set up something similarly reflective of their beliefs, including the atheists, would be allowed to do so (again, I assume).

I really do think the dividing line is found in the First Amendment. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." A clear reference to Christianity on a courthouse lawn? Too close, and I certainly wouldn't want to be a defendant or plaintiff in that court if I were an atheist, a Wiccan, a Buddhist, or even the wrong flavor of Christian. And heaven forbid a Muslim think he might obtain justice in that building. But a creche in a park? I don't think it's the same thing.

I think that these are the kinds of discussions we have to have with our heads, not our guts, if we're going to make any progress.

Lots of big corporations here in Pittsburgh have manger scenes prominently displayed--along with menorahs, etc. Usually there's a small placard that says "Donated by ..."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast