This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Subway Death

Default Re: Subway Death

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    I couldn't agree with more. I don't know, I wasn't there. I hope I would have done something but I have 100% frozen in an emergency and I know what an awful feeling it is. I wish I was hero, but sometimes the natural instinct is to just freeze.

By all accounts I read it took about 20 seconds. That is very, very fast.

My problem, like you state, is that the picture is being published over and over again.
    It's horrible that that man died, Shasta. But it's important that we are having this discussion, and we wouldn't be having it without the photograph. Just something to think about.

Techno dinosaur- If one goes to this link for the Today show on NBC
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/?_r=1

on the right side top is says:Watch past broadcasts. Click and go to Wed. 12/6. The 7th video has an interview from the photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    It's horrible that that man died, Shasta. But it's important that we are having this discussion, and we wouldn't be having it without the photograph. Just something to think about.
    That is very true. My husband and I have this conversation all of the time - the man in Vietnam who was filmed getting shot in the head, the people jumping from the WTC, bodies floating after Katrina. I can't stand it. It makes me cry, makes me upset, gives me anxiety. My husband says I am way too overly empathetic, as I cry at least six times a day on average (yes, we've kept track). (And I know some of you may think I'm not because I can't be harsh - but I am empathetic, just intolerant of stupidity!) Anyway, I think this stuff shouldn't be shown but he thinks it's history. He thinks not showing it is hiding the truth.

My thing is that I can only imagine the families and the people who were there. Why should they be forced to see these things over and over again?

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Becks, just want to add that I wasn't singling you out for response. Yours wasn't the only post wondering why the photographer didn't do more and I'd been meaning to post my reply but hadn't gotten it formulated as to just what I wanted to say until now.
    That never crossed my mind at all. I know better than that. I think I am looking at the situation in a What I would do sort of light. I would try to help at all costs. I can understand the photographer knowing that he didn't have the time to pull the man up, or knowing he couldn't reach him. I do imagine it happened very fast. (perhaps a blessing for this poor man) What I don't understand is the photographer deciding to take a shot of a man seconds from death. I've felt for the family ever since I saw it.

I agree that it is good we can discuss this rationally,without deciding one person's viewpoint is more valid than the next..all I know,from being a photographer at a certain level,his statement that he was running at the person,firing the flash,seems spurious to me,given the quality of that frame shown on the front page..and where are the ones directly before,and after,which would show joggling of the frame if he was running,no matter how good an image stabilization program on the camera..frankly I feel the guy is rationalizing,which I don't blame him for,cause he is under intense pressure from people as to why he didn't react.I think he learned a valuable lesson here.Shasta you are a good person to be upset about those images,however,they are apples to oranges as far as this is concerned..have seen the raw video of the nam shooting,it was swift and you do not want to intervene there or you will def forfeit your life I would believe,just like interposing yourself between jumpers at nine eleven and the sidewalk.Just different circumstances..if there is a bad guy here,it is the managing editor,cause they see all kinds of salacious stuff and should know better than to publish this poor man perishing.. the bar is always being lowered as to what is acceptable,as long as papers are sold..I wonder how his family would feel if that was him struggling for life on the tracks as that train bore down,and he is sold for entertainment purposes on the front page of a paper..not very cool,my friend..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123