Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
I have a mid life confession to make... - Page 3

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I have a mid life confession to make...

Default Re: I have a mid life confession to make...

For me, the book is always better than the movie. The allows your mind to make the pictures. see the characters as the words are eaten by your own imagination. Read and enjoy.
    As far as RF in the movie- I personally felt the physical characteristic was like skin of an onion- peel the outer-looks away, and the real RF appears.

So Im about 200 pages in (only like 1, 020 something left...). I cannot tell you all how amazed I am by this novel already. I am also glad I bought the expanded version. I know that there is a handful of SK readers who arent crazy about how detial oriented he can be sometimes (Ive heard it been referred to as diareah of the mouth before), but I love it. I abolsutely love reading backstory and details about even the minor characters (ie. Vic and the rest of Stu's buddies from the gas station). The minute someone tells me that a certain King book is bloated, overblown, and full of unnecessary detail, I put in on my list.

Oh, and who doesnt love reading about cover ups, fascism, and abuse of power!

JUST today finished reading The Stand, a book I have been avoiding until now for some reason. I now can't figure out why..... it was an incredible read! Read it in five days as I couldn't put it down for long! Enjoy!!

I dunno about you guys, but this book is hard to put down. Its the first thing I pick up after work (besides dinner), and the last thing I put down before bed. But Im having one particular distressing issue. Having seen the movie.. I am trying so hard to let my imagination flow, and organically picture the characters in my mind.

However, all I keep seeing in my head are Gary Sinese, and the other actors from the movie. No matter how much I let my imagination go, I just keep going back to the actors faces. With 2 exceptions... oddly.... enough..

I do not picture Nick Andros as Rob Lowe or Frannie as Molly Ringwald. Probably bc SK describes Frannie as 20 years old, long Auburb hair, and long legs (not how I picture Molly at all). So now the Frannie in my head looks like a long lost, taller sister of Lindsay Lohan or something. The Nick Andros characters is described with black hair and being 22... Rob Lowe was what, 40 in the Stand? But King doesnt go into much detail on the physical description of the others, so I revert to the movie.

For some reason, I pictured Nick dark skinned and kinda short. I don't remember any description of him like that. As for Franny, I think you got that one right unclelouie. The Tom Cullen was right on in the movie. I pictured Nadine as more exotic looking.

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by unclelouie View Post
    Rob Lowe was what, 40 in the Stand?

Heeyyy hey heyheyhey, just watch it now pup, I'm older than ol' young Master Robbie, and I wasn't near forty when the movie was made...gee whiz, and at pushin' fifty today, he still damn near looks like a freakin' fetus.
    To be honest, at forty, the Rob Lowe'y(ish) lookin' types of the world, they would call often me pops & gramps and such early onset geezerly nonsense, often to their very own youthful(ish) indiscretion department's detriment
    I'm so glad your diggin' The Stand, it's my all time favorite and as previously stated, I'm rather jealous of you too...hey y'all know somethin', I've noticed that's said about this book bushel baskets worth, off the top of my head I can't think of another that's said quite like it.
    Just wait til you get around to a re-read, I think most of us refer to that simply as, "the first", I mean if ya want the ride's just started.

Quote Originally Posted by PatInTheHat View Post

Heeyyy hey heyheyhey, just watch it now pup, I'm older than ol' young Master Robbie, and I wasn't near forty when the movie was made...gee whiz, and at pushin' fifty today, he still damn near looks like a freakin' fetus.
    To be honest, at forty, the Rob Lowe'y(ish) lookin' types of the world, they would call often me pops & gramps and such early onset geezerly nonsense, often to their very own youthful(ish) indiscretion department's detriment
    I'm so glad your diggin' The Stand, it's my all time favorite and as previously stated, I'm rather jealous of you too...hey y'all know somethin', I've noticed that's said about this book bushel baskets worth, off the top of my head I can't think of another that's said quite like it.
    Just wait til you get around to a re-read, I think most of us refer to that simply as, "the first", I mean if ya want the ride's just started.
    Exactly! (Even including my age.) Thanks Pat!

Sorry to the old folks here

Apparently I made a silly comment about Lowe being 40.. I Googled him, and apparently he was only 29 or 30 when The Stand was made. But hey, as a teenager, everyone seemed so old back then, right!

Oddly, Lowe is only about 10 years older than I am now...

But yes, he'd held up well over the years.

...listen Sonny, after I rub my leg down with some liniment-I can still kick yer azz!!!...

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by unclelouie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...listen Sonny, after I rub my leg down with some liniment-I can still kick yer azz!!!...
    Ehhh*achachwhhheeezeuhhkphhhtooy*ehh wassat *couuuugh* y'all sayin'....ah jeez am I ever hopin' that was justa wee fart

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast