Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
I have a mid life confession to make... - Page 4

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I have a mid life confession to make...

Default Re: I have a mid life confession to make...

Quote Originally Posted by PatInTheHat View Post
    Ehhh*achachwhhheeezeuhhkphhhtooy*ehh wassat *couuuugh* y'all sayin'....ah jeez am I ever hopin' that was justa wee fart
    ...speak into mah good ear...I be deef in the other youngster!...

So over the holiday, I was able to catch up on my reading, and almost finished Part I. of The Stand. What an incredible book. Prior to this The DT series was my favorite SK work, but this is right up there. And ties in so nice.

Anyhow, I have to say, SK had me laughing a bit on the inside (in a very dark humored sort of way) on Chapter 38 or 39, I think it was... I call it the "post super flu Darwin Awards" chapter. OMG, it was like reading the yearly Darwin Awards. The girl locking herself in the freezer. The paranoid woman who had the gun explode in her hand. I felt guilty laughing, but heck, its fiction, and you gotta find humor in the fact that Darwinism is still applicable in the post flu world. I did not laugh at the kid falling in the well though, that kinda made me sad.

But Sai King is brilliant. This chapter, while totally 100% entertaining, gives you an even bigger overview of post flu America. But its why SK is my favorite author of all time... his attention to detail is second to none.

Update- slowly creeping along.....

So Book 2 started out pretty slow for me. I just wasn't enthralled with the Mother Abigail backstory, and the first part of the book (ie Book 2). However, moving along, the chapter where the Trashcan Man meets The Kid has been absolutely laughing my a## off. Everytime he says "happy crappy", it makes me snicker outloud. The Kid reminds me of a friend from college, who back then reminded me of a demented Ricky Nelson. haha

Hi unclelouie,

Despite reading lots of King in the early 90's I only started dipping into his early stuff about 18 months ago and like you I had never read The Stand. This was purely because I am not a quick reader so I knew it would take me ages to get through especially as King does have the tendency to waffle on at times! However, last spring I went for it and I was absolutely blown away. I just loved every aspect of the story and at no point was I thinking about how much I had left to read. For the first time ever I had withdrawal symptoms after finishing a book...I tried to read the Shining straight afterwards and all I could think about were Stu Redman, Larry Underwood etc and the apocalyptic world they were living in.

I have just finished Under the Dome and despite having lots more unread King to go, I am seriously considering getting another fix of The Stand....after a quick detour to Richard Matheson's 'I Am Legend' (which is an awesome read btw)

Happy reading!

Hi UncleLouie,

I haven't really noticed the new posts in this thread until now. I think it's cool how you're updating us on your journey through one of King's finest (IMO) novels - it's a truly remarkable literary journey unlike anything else I've ever read.

I was a bit shocked with how RF and Harold Lauder looked in the mini-series. Harold was over-weight and suffered from acne in the book, right? Oh, well. It still beats some adaptions of King's works...

Yes, Harold was all that. But RF in a mullet?

That there is some funny stuff.

I have to say that RF was the worstpart of the series. My mental picture of RF was almost spot on with the way he was depicted in the comic series and I was very disappointed with the miniseries adaptation of the book. There is way too much story here to put into a miniseries without losing part of what makes it great. It needs its own series on a network like AMC or H.B.O. that would do it the justice it deserves, with good casting choices and writers who follow the details of the book closely.

I started readingThe Stand a couple years ago and right about the time that I got to the outbreak of Captain Trips there was breaking news of a new epidemic: "Swine Flu". It was perfect timing and made me wonder if the story was playing out in the real world.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Randal Flagg.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	16994

I remember putting down The Stand after reading it ( a couple of decades ago) and thinking I was was saying goodbye to good friends I would never see again. I had a similar feeling when I finished 11/22/63.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I finally finished this last night and I loved it! Just wanted to express how much I enjoyed it, and that it's definitely my favorite King so far. Onto The Long Walk next...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast