Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths - Page 10

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 10 of 86 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

I just read that gun deaths are said to outpace auto deaths by 2015. Great.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...152632492.html

Quote Originally Posted by Spideyman View Post
    Many of the schools in my area have been re done in hurricane proof door and windows. Not bullet proof, but a possible slow down to entry. Also, many of the new designs are windowless. Not scenic for the children, but maybe safer.
    Our school have metal roll down shades on the outside of the windows that can be activated with one central button or a button in each classroom. These are helpful but are usually engaged after an incident has already started.

Originally Posted by Spideyman
    Many of the schools in my area have been re done in hurricane proof door and windows. Not bullet proof, but a possible slow down to entry. Also, many of the new designs are windowless. Not scenic for the children, but maybe safer.
    Our school have metal roll down shades on the outside of the windows that can be activated with one central button or a button in each classroom. These are helpful but are usually engaged after an incident has already started.
    Our school system has neither of these things. Rather than arm teachers, maybe we should be designing our schools to be safer.

Quote Originally Posted by Becks19 View Post
    They say the shooter broke a window to gain entry to the school. What about glass that cannot be broken? If that kind of glass were in place on that day, would the shooter have gotten in so quickly?? The entire entrance to our elementary school is made of glass, including the door to the office. They just built it this year and the windows are from about the ground up and very wide. I used to think they were pretty, now, I wonder how safe they are??
    I've been wondering that about ours too. The little foyer where you are buzzed in at looks down the hallway, but to the right is a huge window into the office. That's how the office ladies see who is there, is through that window...how hard would it be to break through that, and gain access. I've also been paying a lot of attention to the kids' classrooms...Ty's has an exterior door that they could use in an emergency, but not Ali's and Evan's.

The doors have still been wide open first thing in the morning, but they are not unlocking them for parents at pick up time now. I've had to be buzzed in every day this week at pick up time. Which is fine by me, it has helped alleviate some of the anxiety I've had about taking the kids to school and leaving them there. But I do worry about all of the glass in the inner set of doors and the big window to the office.

I cannot imagine living in a country where folks can own handguns and assorted arms. It is bad enough here where guns are hard to get. It is a hugh crime here to carry a gun. I do not really believe that if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. If they are impossible to own then that will cut down shooting death and accidental deaths when children find them in the home. We do not have many accidental deaths like that in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in a bag View Post
    I've been wondering that about ours too. The little foyer where you are buzzed in at looks down the hallway, but to the right is a huge window into the office. That's how the office ladies see who is there, is through that window...how hard would it be to break through that, and gain access. I've also been paying a lot of attention to the kids' classrooms...Ty's has an exterior door that they could use in an emergency, but not Ali's and Evan's.

The doors have still been wide open first thing in the morning, but they are not unlocking them for parents at pick up time now. I've had to be buzzed in every day this week at pick up time. Which is fine by me, it has helped alleviate some of the anxiety I've had about taking the kids to school and leaving them there. But I do worry about all of the glass in the inner set of doors and the big window to the office.
    Well on top of it being all glass...Our front doors aren't locked, you are buzzed in from the lobby. Really not safe enough. As you enter the lobby, there's a glass door on the left that is the office, you are also standing in front of two glass double doors that enter the actual school. I would feel so much better if it were glass that was unbreakable/bullet proof. I think all schools need to be constructed that way..... and maybe it would prevent an event like this one.

I read on wiki about Switzerland's gun laws,which is interesting..rather than an army,they have a militia of males,aged in general twenty to thirty years of age,though they stay in as officers until age thirty four.It is accepted as part of being a male there to do service in that capacity,which includes military training,and keeping their weapons at home.The article said it is not an uncommon sight to see members enroute with their weapons to training facilities on trains,busses,etc..their personal carry appears more stringent than some states in the US though,and it seems that country does not have such incidents,or rarely..not espousing their position,just found it interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo*mofo View Post
    Fort Hood- armed personnel did not prevent a dozen deaths, and these were people that were adequately trained. George Zimmerman's overzealous reaction to seeing Trayvon Martin walking in a "non-black" neighborhood at night. There are literally hundreds of incidences where OC has resulted in the accidental discharge of a weapon, although rarely resulting in injury or death.

This isn't aimed at you Chuggs, but anyone who thinks OC is a grand idea. I want some factual evidence that OC reduces crime. And then we can talk about how OC has actually resulted in needless deaths because of someone getting scared in the heat of the moment.
    I could relate different situations that I've heard about, even recently, where someone who had a gun saved lives. However, the one I choose to tell is from someone I used to work for. He was a teenager then, I think, but in a vehicle with his mom and dad. A would be car-jacker (God knows what else) tried to force my co-worker's father from his vehicle--the rest of the family still inside the vehicle mind you--but was unsuccessful because my co-workers father greated the man with a gun. The man fled.

Now I know that bad things happen, even when someone has a gun or a knife or whatever as protection, but there are just as many success stories as there are failed ones.

What I want is a world where no one feels the need for protection, because non is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    That's true, but it's more difficult to pull together making a bomb than getting a gun. Accepting that doing nothing about it because they'll find a way if they're bent on it is not an option and never has been IMO. Except for the military and law enforcement personnel, having the types of rifles and ammunition that are being considered for more stringent controls is a want, not a need.
    Ms. Mod, I'm not taking a side on this, just pointing out that people can and do get guns illegally, guns of all types. and a bomb is easy enough to make...people around blow themselves up all of the time trying to make drugs...
    And I'll also point out that there is many a person who would argue with you guns being a want and not a need.

Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by staropeace View Post
    I cannot imagine living in a country where folks can own handguns and assorted arms. It is bad enough here where guns are hard to get. It is a hugh crime here to carry a gun. I do not really believe that if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. If they are impossible to own then that will cut down shooting death and accidental deaths when children find them in the home. We do not have many accidental deaths like that in Canada.
    I cannot imagine that either Staro, I think that is why I have a hard time understanding.

Page 10 of 86 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast