This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 13 of 86 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

Default Re: Gun control discussions in the wake of the Newtown, CT deaths

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Kind of like what's been happening with gun control for years in spite of incident after incident of innocent people being gunned down and people talking about there needing to be something done? I absolutely agree with you that it's a package deal and the message I'm hearing from the President is he understands that, too. The problem will be keeping the lobbyists out of the picture so that the dialogue on all aspects doesn't get swept under the rug yet again before policies and legislation is put in place to make a difference.
    But there was no give and take on prior gun control measure in recent years, NOTHING GOT DONE… no give and take, no this now - something later. They (both D's and R's) let the 10 year Federal Assault Weapons Ban lapse. There just was no political muster to get things done. But now there is momentum. And gun advocates rightfully believe if they give on something in hopes of something else happening, they will just be whistling in the wind. And lets face it, there is the proverbial slippery slope. Once you get the public to formally demonize something, it only begins the downhill slide. Look at smoking in public places as a prime example.

I fear Biden’s committee will be akin to Amnesty under Reagan and Tax Increases under Bush the Elder. Give Amnesty now (HAPPENS) and we will secure the border and go after employers later (DOESN’T HAPPEN), or tax increases now (HAPPENS) and cut spending later (DOESN’T HAPPEN). Anyone want to bet it will be… get gun control now (WILL HAPPEN) and security measures and mental health improvements later (DOESN’T HAPPEN)? I hope I’m wrong, but I doubt it.

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

From the Tuesday press conference,...
    "...Mr. Carney said the president hoped to go beyond gun regulation. “He wants to expand the conversation beyond those specific areas of legislation to look at other ways we can address this problem,” he said.

While he did not talk in specifics, Mr. Carney mentioned mental health, education and “perhaps” cultural issues that may contribute to mass killings. He embraced a call by David Axelrod, the president’s strategist in the recent election, to rethink violent video games that glorify killing.

“Every expert on this issue would, I think, agree with that, that there are cultural issues that contribute to the broader problem of gun violence,” he said. “One of the reasons why the president wants to expand the net beyond consideration of gun laws is because he recognizes that” and believes “that we need to look broadly at all of the potential contributors to the scourge of gun violence in this country.” "

Of course that's code for, 'Best be quick an gitch yer shootin' iron Pa, them thar furrin' hellycopters is a'comin,' gonna be takesin' away are sobriegnty!'...well okay, to a certain more, shall we say, gullible, portion of our national viewing & listening audience, but in reality that really ain't too awfully histrionic.
    I mean hell, this particular flava o' gullible has not only got a definite marketable demo$Cha$Ching$graphic, it's got its own zip codes for Sam Colt's sake, and I just happen to live in one 'em

Quote Originally Posted by CareBear View Post
    I am from CT (not Newtown), so this tragedy hits home for me. I don't believe gun laws will do anything to prevent violence and hate. Timothy McVeigh used fertiziler in his bomb that killed over 100 people in Oklahome City. Criminals don't obey laws, that's why the are criminals.
    But it's not usually career criminals, or even terrorists, that do these kinds of things. I agree that someone intent on causing a lot of damage to a school MIGHT choose to use a bomb, but I rather doubt it. Why? Because it's not personal enough. They're not making a big enough statement. Not going out in a blaze of glory, a hero to themselves. HOWEVER. Even if they did ... the chances that they would successfully pull it off are less.

You can't prevent every tragedy. But if you look at our rate of gun ownership (especially of certain types of guns), how easy it is to buy a gun, how we treat the mentally ill, and our rate of gun violence, and compare all that with other affluent countries, it seems pretty clear that we can do better than we are today. So much violence is preventable because it is either not planned or is being planned by someone whose judgment is clouded by mental illness and other factors.

If someone is truly determined to hurt another person, a gun won't make much difference other than making it easier. You cannot take the evil out of a person, and if someone is full-time evil, that person is going to cause damage. But most people who kill other people are just ... like the rest of us. Part-time evil. It's not necessary to stop them completely. It's only necessary to stop them long enough so that they can rethink their actions or to allow the victim time to get somewhere safe. The rage a killer feels, or the depression a suicidal person feels, is often temporary. It's only the bullet that makes it permanent.

someone must be watching/reading only news posts from the NRA or Faux News: every news outlet i've seen has talked ad nausem about all these aspects of this issue...

but, as i and others have stated earlier...all that will cost $$$$$

so, at the very least...can we put a yearly gun tax on all gun owners, guns and ammo sales...much like the sin taxes we wage against drinkers and smokers...and make the perpetrators of these crimes pay for all of it in advance...

after all...every one of these incidences has resulted from a normal, non-criminal going batsh!t and killing...not from al capones great-nephew picking where unc left off....

a good hefty tax big enough to pay to remodel all the schools everywhere...pay for all the extra policemen...pay for all the mentla health programs demanded by these egregiancies

Quote Originally Posted by guido tkp View Post
    someone must be watching/reading only news posts from the NRA or Faux News: every news outlet i've seen has talked ad nausem about all these aspects of this issue...

but, as i and others have stated earlier...all that will cost $$$$$

so, at the very least...can we put a yearly gun tax on all gun owners, guns and ammo sales...much like the sin taxes we wage against drinkers and smokers...and make the perpetrators of these crimes pay for all of it in advance...

after all...every one of these incidences has resulted from a normal, non-criminal going batsh!t and killing...not from al capones great-nephew picking where unc left off....

a good hefty tax big enough to pay to remodel all the schools everywhere...pay for all the extra policemen...pay for all the mentla health programs demanded by these egregiancies
    I don't own a gun so I don't know about this aspect of it but if I own a car I have to buy car tabs every year for it in order for it to be legal to drive. Those funds are supposed to go towards road improvements and education. Why don't we do the same for gun owners and have THAT money go towards what you suggested in your post? After all, it's the guns that are causing the damaged so why not make the gun owners responsible?

Quote Originally Posted by guido tkp View Post
    someone must be watching/reading only news posts from the NRA or Faux News:
    Its comments like that that supports my viewpoint that there will be no meaningful dialogue on the matter, and little will get done. I might be wrong, but I thought I was respectful in my postings, showed willingness to compromise, provided poignant concerns from the other side's point of view, and offered hope… and this is what I get. Unfortunately disrespect only leads to sides drawing lines in the sand. I doubt you would be interested, but the vast majority of the news I’ve listened to, or watched, on the matter was from NPR and MSNBC. I am not a member, nor do I listen to the NRA. I do not own an assault rifle, nor ever plan on obtaining one. I do not have a Carry and Conceal permit, and as such never carry a firearm on my presence. But I am a firm believer in second amendment rights, have had several death threats made against me, and believe if we are to have a real meaningful discussion on guns, it should include how many lives are actually saved by those who have guns and use them for protection... and how many lives have been sacrificed because of strict gun control laws.

I also would favor a tax on guns and ammunition sales to go directly to helping defray security measures at schools and mental health clinics.

I would be more than happy to discuss my points of view. But how about we keep personal attacks and disrespect out of it, shall we?

Quote Originally Posted by PatInTheHat View Post
    I mean hell, this particular flava o' gullible has not only got a definite marketable demo$Cha$Ching$graphic, it's got its own zip codes for Sam Colt's sake, and I just happen to live in one 'em
    I feel ya, bro. I really do. Like, REALLY.

unfortunately, my dear exzel...while i would love to agree whole-heartedly with you at my supposed malignation...the first thing you posted was a disrespectful, derogative view of what you percieve to be a liberal/progressive agenda...all while lambasting the media

talking points, anyone...hmmmm, i thought the election was over, but nay...there are still hearts and minds to win...and what better canard to toss to the unsuspecting masses, yearning for a free exchange of thought and ideas, than the old bugaboos of the secret, evil empire of progressive liberal media elites, right ?

yes, well...let he who is without sin cast the first stone and all

i, too, watch/listen to npr/pbs/bbc quite a bit...and every one of them has reported extensively about mental health issues with each and every one of these incidents...so, exZEL...how could you possibly have missed that ?

look...i'm not trying to be a MONSTER or anything, but...sheesh...don't get all butthurt when you start out fanning flames and get caught with the smoking match...besides, if we can take you at your word...and if you'd actually read any of mine...you'd see we are not that far apart...in fact, far closer than, say, obama and boehner and the fiscal cliffs of doom

but, true...exzel, we must all do as the late rodney king implored and just all get along here...of which i have every intention

so, shall we kiss and make up, zel ?

Ya know, I really get tired of my opinions being "an agenda" while the Right-Wing talking points are "truth." Pretty darn biased.

....allow me to make a small attempt to lighten the mood a bit...and this from a "gun nut"...

Page 13 of 86 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast